• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help starting 5 ton in DC for $100 cash

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have checked every thing you should like Area 52 said heat air around intake. News paper big flame then have someone hit the switch.

kipman

I have started a lot of different 5 ton trucks that have sat, good batteries and ether after the motor is rolling over, if all is correct under the hood, 250 cummins has to have good turn over speed, period.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The motor is too cold for the amount of juice you have in the batteries. If you have access to electric, you could try to put some heaters on the engine. I've used small ceramic heaters and heat guns pointed at the head(s), block, or intake. I suspect you still don't have enough juice in the bats though. Is there anyone that can pull you to start it? If you can find dry pavement. Sounds like your slave receptacle is on the side with the snow.

Anyone out there in the DC area that can yank or slave this guy? Sounds like his best bet.

When starting, stomp on that accelerator. Sounds like you have fuel. I think it's just a cold hunk of iron and weak batts. Welcom to the 250.

As others mentioned welcome to the NHC 250 club. A block heater will be your best friend. You can get a 1500watt heater for approx $60 if you look around plug it in for 2 hours prior to starting and it will start right after you bump the starter switch.

Personally I'd get rid of the 4 6tl's that seem to cause problems in my experience. 5 tons are picky about batteries unlike an M35 that can be slaved with 2 toasted batteries. 6tls if not used alot like to discharge. Put 2 8d or group 31's and be done with it.

Andy

jimmcld

It sounds like you would rather pay someone than get out in the snow. You could call a truck stop. I'm sure they would have a service to come out and start your truck. It might cost more than $100 though.

NightOwl

First, thanks for all the private messages, posts, and phone calls. Greatly appreciated!! I'm going to try new batteries first and then some warm air, if needed.

I just got my pickup truck back so I'm mobile again. I went to a truck stop. They have 4 commerical batteries that are 1000 CCA each. Is that too much or OK? I don't want to blow the starter. The truck stop wants $95 an hour plus $ .75 a mile which would be a huge bill. If the roads get plowed tomorrow, I'll go get the batteries and replace them carefully.

Thanks again for all the ideas. When I get the truck started, I will go get the primer pump fixed. I don't get any pressure after 10-20 pumps. No resistance at all on the primer handle and I don't even know if the pressure gauge works.

This is a great website. Thanks!!

NightOwl

I live nearby, I can't fix the problem for you but could probably lend you a hand if needed.
If you have one of those military jumper cables, that would be fantastic.

Otherwise, I will let you know when I have the new batteries and I can do the heavy lifting if you could supervise so I don't shock the heck out of myself. I don't even know how those battery drawers pull out.

Or, maybe I could hold the flaming rag of fuel fumes while you crank.

motorpoolmedic

I have started trucks up in Northern Minnesota by using charcoal.
Light it up in the lid of a metal garbage can and place under the oil pan.
Drape a tarp over the engine compartment and drape one down over the transmission. Seal the area as tight as possible. In 45 minutes hit the switch on the freshly charged batteries and fire it up.

area52

Not to sound like an a$$ but you really need to read up on your truck before messing around with it. I know its fun to get a new toy, but if you don't know what you are doing, you could get seriously hurt.

As far as the batteries go, 1000 CCA is the reserve they have, more is always better for big engines in the cold. You can't "blow" out the starter unless you hook them up wrong.

Good luck.

NightOwl

OK, after several hours, I carefully got 2 new 6TL batteries installed and she fired right up. I'll put the other 2 new batteries in tomorrow.

But, I went out for a quick joy ride and I ran out of fuel. The gauge said I had half a tank so I couldn't figure out what was going on with the loss of power. When it finally died I realized what must have happened. I guess my fuel gauge goes from full to half full and then sticks. Son of a .....

I couldn't find the fuel hand pump mentioned in the forums. Where is it? I'll have to get some help getting the air out of my lines. I got about 10 gallons back in the tank. I'll put more in tomorrow.

mckeeranger

I couldn't find the fuel hand pump mentioned in the forums. Where is it? I'll have to get some help getting the air out of my lines. I got about 10 gallons back in the tank. I'll put more in tomorrow.
It is, or should be, on the dash to the right of the steering column. There should also be a gauge to the left, next to the main power switch.

Attachments

Last edited:

area52

Here are the TM #'s: 9-2320-260-10 is the operators manual, -20 is a maint. manual. Look under the resources section up top and find the tech manuals. There is alot of good info in them.

Also your engine is a NHC 250, not a DHC.