• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help Stuck!! Trying to help came back to bite me!

Oilleaker1

The Romans and even General Custer's expedition would simply make their own road by laying posts side by side and bridgeing over bogs. You first will have to jack or lift it up to ground level and then place your bridging. I've been stuck in a water bog like yours. Had all three vehicles stuck to each other with tight log chains with their axles and housings on the ground. Not even 8 foot posts under the tires found solid ground. We were floating on top of a lake covered with 2 feet of floating dirt. Half a rotation of the wheel and bam, right to the housings. Solution for us was a D 9 Cat with a huge rear winch and 3/4 inch cable. The cat stayed on high ground though! Awesome!!!!!!!!! The 3 vehicles we had were two 4 wheel drive 3/4 flatbed Fords and a Logging skidder chained up. The skidder could raise it's own wheels up with its blade, and we could chuck 8 foot posts in one after another. That's when we got the message to bend over and assume the position. Anyway, jack it up safely and bridge yourself out of there! Sweat equity!:driver:

derby

My buddy had a truck and 36' Airstream stuck to the axles. I told him I would not get close to it because there was 4" of water and 200' between where he was and I. I had 200' of 3/4 cable took longer to rool up the cable than to pull him out. I would not have gone near that truck,stay on the high,dry ground. A little late advice know.

jumpinford

I cant believe those folks in the video pulled that off. Climbing over the tensioned cable, one guy looked like he was gonna grab the cable if something was to fail, idiot driver spinning his wheels like that with his 2 buddies in front of the bumper, shock loading that cable, man it just doesnt end.

Where the heck was Murphy? was it his day off?

PropDr

Texas sinkholes get sneaky. Some areas have pockets of water close to the surface. If you move a few feet one way or the other you'll be on hard ground. Right in the middle you sink deep. There's no way to tell looking at the surface.
That is EXACTLY what I am dealing with right now.

I got it to move about 250-300' towards the road and then I hit a soft spot with the passenger side. The entire pass side sank half way up the wheels while the driver side is sitting on top of firm ground.

Should have pics in about an hour or whenever they get done developing them.

PropDr

My buddy had a truck and 36' Airstream stuck to the axles. I told him I would not get close to it because there was 4" of water and 200' between where he was and I. I had 200' of 3/4 cable took longer to rool up the cable than to pull him out. I would not have gone near that truck,stay on the high,dry ground. A little late advice know.
Trust me I walked it before I went out their. It seemed stable at the time. The only other thing I could of done (other than laugh at the kids and tell them sucks to be you and drive away) was to test it with a compaction probe. Now it is starting to look like the field was shelled with artillery, craters and giant ruts filled with water all over the place.

Not to mention it started raining again.aua

oldMan99

That is EXACTLY what I am dealing with right now.

I got it to move about 250-300' towards the road and then I hit a soft spot with the passenger side. The entire pass side sank half way up the wheels while the driver side is sitting on top of firm ground.

Should have pics in about an hour or whenever they get done developing them.
Hey Buddy, Still stick I see... That sucks for sure...

If you want to give me a call I can offer a couple techniques that might help but a lot depends on how far you are from something even sort of resembling hard ground and also what resources your going to have available tomorrow (Or whenever the next time you get to go out and try to move this thing).

I could go into it online but there are to many variables for me to type them all out. A few questions and I'll be able to better understand the current situation and give pertinent advise that you can use.

If "We" don't get it out soon the archeologist in the year 2500 will find it's fossilized remains where it now sits....

I am on the east coast so I am several hours ahead of you but I'll be up until at least 11pm your time.

PM sent with phone number.

BlizzardX23

;)
Funny you mention that...I have a Canon 1Ds Mark III (google it...its NICE!) which is what I use for all my photography...my pop found an old medium format camera in perfect condition with unopened film...asked if I wanted it...so I will be experimenting with real film sooner or later :)

And back to OP...I've heard of people renting helicopter services to recover stuck vehicles...donno if the truck is worth the fees though.. =/ hmmm....know anyone with an M88? You cant believe the kinda things we used to do with those

Last edited:

PropDr

Here are some progress pics. Haven't made it to solid ground yet.

I lifted the entire front end of the truck using my tow bar as a cantilevered A-frame that was placed on top of my homemade wooden bridge plates or swamp mats. The actual lifting was accomplished by swinging the top of the a-frame fore and aft past center using a small 1 ton come-a-long and stacking blocks. Then taking up the slack with the 4 ton with no load on it.

Originally I planned on using the supposedly 8000lb rated (with block) come-a-long to do the vertical lifting but the cable drum collapsed (harbor freight junk). Luckily I bought 2 since Murphy had already had been by once. The second one so far is holding up ok but I don't trust it.

The 4 bridge plates or swamp mats that I made worked fairly well. They gave the front tires enough flotation and traction for the truck to crawl out of that hole under its own power.

Attachments

PropDr

;)
Funny you mention that...I have a Canon 1Ds Mark III (google it...its NICE!) which is what I use for all my photography...my pop found an old medium format camera in perfect condition with unopened film...asked if I wanted it...so I will be experimenting with real film sooner or later :)

And back to OP...I've heard of people renting helicopter services to recover stuck vehicles...donno if the truck is worth the fees though.. =/ hmmm....know anyone with an M88? You cant believe the kinda things we used to do with those

If the film is more than a 6 months old throw it away and buy some that is fresh and keep it in the fridge till you need it. It lasts longer that way.

As for the chopper idea it would take a CH-47 Chinook to lift that bastard.
The best I could come up with is a UH-1N Twin Huey but its only good for a 4000lb long line lift. That wont even lift the front axle.

oldMan99

Yeah, your stuck pretty good.. A+ on the stuck. You'll be remembering this one for a very long time.....

It does look like your working on a good plan. Are you going to be able to go out tomorrow and work on it more?

How far are you from pavement?

At some point the labor and resources your expending will surpass the cost of a commercial 18 wheeler wrecker to haul you out. Of course there is the pride issue as well. Sometimes you just have to see the deal through yourself no matter what.

Really wish I was there to help, I have been off all weekend and tomorrow. If you were only about 2,000 miles closer I would be there for sure...

Keep us posted....

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the film is more than a 6 months old throw it away and buy some that is fresh and keep it in the fridge till you need it. It lasts longer that way.

As for the chopper idea it would take a CH-47 Chinook to lift that bastard.
The best I could come up with is a UH-1N Twin Huey but its only good for a 4000lb long line lift. That wont even lift the front axle.
I think you could get it with a H53E.

PropDr

Thanks.

Weather permitting, yeah I will be out there. I might take you up on that phone call depending on how bad it sinks over night.

According to google maps I was about 500' in when I started. Just a guess, now maybe 200-250' to the pavement. I think if I cant get it to move with the swamp mats north another 50' the ground will be able to support it again.

Funny you mention the wrecker. The people I was trying to help hired one, they showed up with a 4 axle Pete or Kenworth and it had a hard time pulling out an f-350. Even with the truck on the asphalt and the spades sunk in on the shoulder of the road it was sliding into the marsh. Then again I don't think the fella runing it was a very good operator. He quoted me $1000 to pull out both 6x6s.

The other thing I was thinking about was using a large low pressure air bag to lift the truck so I could get the swamp mats under it for round 2. Granted sourcing a rental might be a challange.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah a ch53e would lift a 5 ton with a little to spare. Now that would be fun to play with.
I road in the back of one the was filled with pax and gear. It was also moving a 6K lowboy forklift from Amphib to Amphib. Combat Cargo miscounted the number of availbile seats so I ended up riding in the forklift seat since it was my forklift (oh and I was the junior guy). The load and balance seemed a little off to me or the pilot sucked. We made the rounds of the ARG so I got three landings in a forklift.

Next time I flew military it was the COD.

PropDr

Helicopters are finicky when it comes to C.G. If the load is too far out of balance in any direction bad things tend to happen (like loosing flight control in one direction).
I'm assuming if you were in a COD you were being dropped off on a carrier or delivering mail to it. Were you in the Navy?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Helicopters are finicky when it comes to C.G. If the load is too far out of balance in any direction bad things tend to happen (like loosing flight control in one direction).
I'm assuming if you were in a COD you were being dropped off on a carrier or delivering mail to it. Were you in the Navy?
Were? Still am. 25+ short years later.

Yeah, I was in between commands and they "needed" me on the Nimitz. Leave was canx and I was on a COD out.

Good luck getting out with this new rain. I have a hi lift jack and lots of cable but I'm nursing a sore back. Wouldn't be much use other than to try and tell you some other way to do it.

I could pull from the pavement though. PM me if needed.

PropDr

Thanks if it comes down to that I'll send you a pm. As for the high lift i'm trying to stay away from those. My buddy managed to destroy mine the other day even after I told him that it was only rated for 4600 and the front end is over 5000lbs. He is lucky he didn't get hurt.

Attachments

oldMan99

Prop Dr.

An 18 wheeler size wrecker had problems pulling out an F-350 ? For Pete sake, I am thinking that "Riverside, CA" might be some kind of secret code for "A planet far far away with truck eating earth" I'm calling Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith to investigate. Just watch out for the mind eraser bright light thing... (Of course this experienced may be something you want to have erased from your mind)

OK, on a serious note, It is plausible that the wrecker operator was not really up to speed but those trucks are easily over $200k. Normally the guys driving/operating them are the most experienced in the company, but I guess you never know. So, lets give him at least most of the benefit of the doubt and say that he was at least pretty decent on the controls and the crap your in really is that bad. - Given the experience you have had so far, I am thinking that might actually be a fair call/assessment.

If the wreckers main problem was that he had problems stopping his truck from being dragged toward the mess that is at least somewhat legitimate and may be helpfully diagnostic.

This tells us that any further serious winching or pulling efforts are going to be difficult at best. This tells us that we will really want/need to use that dead anchor with multiple anchor points plan (From the drawing I posted) if at all possible. If you can get at least 2 trucks out there (one with a winch) you can rig to use both of those truck as anchors. 3 trucks would be better if you have the snatch blocks and cable to use them... Of course your still going to want/need to proceed with the plan of digging out, filling in, mats to try to get back on the top of.. whatever that stuff is your in. If your running sort on cable length there is an easy way to make the most of what you have. I'll make up another drawing and post it for you, it might help.

You said you have made 4 "mats" if you can make 2 more (4 more is even better) you'll be well ahead of the game as you can then do like the ancient Egyptians (Except they used logs) and get up on a set, place a set in front of the ones your on, drive onto those, move the "old" ones to the front and just keep going until your 100% sure your on good ground. This is one of those cases where the metal sand mats would come in really handy.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about “Sand mats” or “Sand ladders”. I think this case is a perfect example of the justification/need for them. I found a place in California that makes them. However, as is consistent with your luck over the last few days, and California being a fairly large state, the place is like 450 miles away. The sections come in length up to 10 feet long. 4 of those would be ideal for getting you back to “Dry land”. Here is a link to the company, (Not like your going to run up there first ting in the morning, but thought you might find it useful for next time.. http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/company.cfm?company=844302

Another company, probably the largest that sells them is: http://www.calumetindustries.com/?cat=36 They have pictures too…

When your dug out and ready to drive (Move forward) if you can be attached to a winch or pull truck and move slow and steady onto your mats letting the pull bring you up on the mats as you gently assist with smooth application of minimum power, you do not want the wheels to spin if you can help it, (But you probably have already figured that out)

If you only have one anchor/winch truck if you can... And if the road has anything like ditches, move the winch/anchor truck to the other side of the road and into the ditch to help solidify the anchor point. Of course your going to have to close the road to do that. I have used this technique several times and have even on purpose "Stuck" the winch truck in the opposite side ditch. Note I said "Stuck" not "Buried" once the rescue is over and the truck is on good ground, you use that vehicle as an an anchor to pop the winch truck out.

(I assume you have already aired down the tires quite a bit??)

The lifting frame you designed was a good move. Very labor intensive but at this point, pretty much anything you do is going to be.

Air bags are an excellent idea. A great labor saving way to lift the truck. Having spent some time on the working end of a rescue truck I can tell you that the proper bags will easily lift a Deuce or 5 ton or even larger truck.

Renting bags will likely be difficult. I would be pretty surprised if your local rental center has them available. There are however 2 places that will have them. Your local Fire Department and the friendly guy with the 18 wheeler wrecker.

If you know somebody in the training division of a local fire department you MIGHT be able to get him to either bring some bags out or send some guys for a legitimate training session on proper bag use. Lacking that you might contact the wrecker company. They have bags they use for recovering overturned tractor trailers, they will be able to lift your truck while you back fill or place your mats. You'll probably have to pay by the hour but if you rig the winch truck and have the mats pre-positioned with some luck you might only need them a couple hours.

I hope some of this helps in some way....