• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, threw rod and stuck in Rock Creek WY

stumps

Mr Stump, your following post was very informative. would the Man process contribute to the moreless deliquent nature of these engine to overreving?
I can think of two ways the MF engine might be more prone to over rev damage: First, because of its high compression ratio (22:1), it is a very long stroke engine. Second, because of the wide range of fuels used in the MF engines, and the large chamber cast into the top of the piston, the pistons are very strong, and quite heavy.

The combination of a very long stroke, and a heavy piston make the engine more prone to rod cap damage than would be a shorter stroke engine with a lighter piston. Perhaps Continental didn't beef up the rod cap when they modified their conventional diesel tractor engine into a MAN cycle MF engine?

I have never weighed a MF piston and compared it to a conventional piston, in a comparable engine, such as a Cummins engine. But I would bet the MF piston is heavier.

The pictures of the OP's engine show it definitely died a death characteristic of an over revved engine. It could have been caused by stress damage done before the OP ever owned the engine. It could have been the result of a broken or improperly adjusted governor. It could have been the result of engine braking down a hill. Or who knows? We only know that it happened.

It is my untested belief that the MF engine in the deuces should not be capable of damage from a full throttle unloaded condition. The governor is there to protect against that condition. I am pretty sure that a full throttle governor test is in the rebuild manual for the engine.

If that is true, then a broken governor could easily have killed that engine even before the OP realized what was happening. A tired, or inexperienced, operator that made a badly botched shift that allowed the engine to race could have done the deed.

It only takes one time!

-Chuck

clpo

Finally got her home today! My first deuce! Drove 420 miles to Rock Springs WY (punched hole in both sides of block), towed 220 miles to Ogden UT (new engine installed at Boyce, made large bank withdrawl) 180 miles home to Twin Falls. Now the fun begins!

clpo

was dark and raining in Twin when I got home tonight. I'll post new pics of MOMO, the old block with cross ventilation, and the new one.

Maverick1701

glad you got home!
I have been talking w/those guys from boyce about buying a deuce
They sound like they know ther stuff and stand behind their work

jesusgatos

The military has a long tradition of trading engine longevity for the ability to push the engine beyond its safety limits (if necessary). The old piston engine fighter planes had WEP (War Emergency Power) throttle positions that boosted the HP 10 or 15%, and added water injection to cool the combustion. To use WEP, you had to jam the throttle beyond its limit, which cut a safety wire (making it obvious that you used WEP). If you ever used WEP, your engine was scheduled for overhaul.
-Chuck
I need a WEP throttle position for Mah Deuce! Booooo-Yaaaaahhh.

stumps

That's easy. The hard part is avoiding using it. Turning up the fuel on a MF engine is akin to a WEP position on the throttle.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks