• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help, What is it? Stuart , m4 m5 High Speed Tractor?

BigGuy

I need to know what I have in order to know what to do with it, My uncle used it as a logger to get wood out of the back 40. I don't know if it's worth keeping, or parts or scrap. The motor runs, but I'm not sure if it's the original motor, looks like some one added a GM 6 cyl with 2 trans, the slave cyl blew out on the clutch
Any idea what it's worth would be helpfull
Thanks, Guy

KsM715

Im sure what ever it is it's probably not worth much. Just give me your address and I'll come up there and we can throw it on my trailer and I'll get rid of it for you. :razz:

Seriously, without a pic or a better description we can't really help you with it.

Edit: dang your fast.

BigGuy

so what is a chopped up M4 worth, can you get the top parts, or is it too far gone at this point.
It looks like the bushings on the suspension are worn out, the rubber on the track is chipped. is it worth saving or are there enough of these out there to make it worth the effort? Are restorers looking for parts? I don't want to scrap it if there are people looking for parts
The puppys name is Jack, sorry about that.

135gmc

The tracks are definitely Stuart track, but it looks lmore like an artillery tractor than a tank. The M4 artillery tractor used a Waukesha 6-cyl engine, model was 145GZ, 817 CID, 190 HP at 2100 RPM. The builder would have been Allis-Chalmers in Rock Island, IL. A used artillery tractor would have been perfect for a logger.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tracks are definitely Stuart track, but it looks lmore like an artillery tractor than a tank. The M4 artillery tractor used a Waukesha 6-cyl engine, model was 145GZ, 817 CID, 190 HP at 2100 RPM. The builder would have been Allis-Chalmers in Rock Island, IL. A used artillery tractor would have been perfect for a logger.
Yep, looks like early M3 tracks on the M4 suspension. The M4 tracks are different.

L1A1

Looks like the remains of an M4 high speed tractor. lots of those ended their years as log skidders and such. There isn't much left on that one from the pics maybe a good candidate for a reenactor's VisMod? Not sure what to tell you, where value is concerned. About 10 maybe 15 years ago you could buy one fairly complete & running for under 5k.

Matt

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECO (Southeastern Equipment) Augusta, GA had 100's of these at one time. Most were made into what you have. If somebody wanted to restore a M4, they would be far better off finding one that is not cut off. On yours, the grapple is valuable, I'm actually looking for one (locally) right now. I would pull the instrument panel and the rest gets recycled. You could pull final drives, etc, and sit on them forever trying to find a buyer.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M4

That is beautiful,

Hope it's ok to post this link. There's a few m4 vids online. Not sure if it's the right one but similar.

""A newly restored Allis Chalmers M4 High Speed Tractor on it's first run in about 50 years.""

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vea4VvAELkk[/media]

SD T16

Keep it.
Scrap the civi add ons. You'll find somebody interested the running gear eventually.
Too bad I'm in Fl. or I'd take it.

battlecr

Try posting over in the track section of the G503 I've got a line on one here, there were several people interested in the suspenion parts Don't scrap it the parts are valuable!!!!

Don G.

Danger Ranger

I personally like now....It needs a new cab and a restoration, but the concept is pretty neat, and handier than all get-out. It would be awesome restored to its original form, but I fear that won't happen. Make it work!

L1A1

They are pretty neat vehicles and for a while, they were a really good deal for someone who wanted a tracked vehicle but didn't have the money for something armored. A friend of mine used to have several on is property and one of his M4 HST's was the first tracked vehicle I ever got to drive.
Matt

98taco3

Were looking for parts for one but it appears that what we need is long gone unless its sitting in the woods there somewhere. Were looking for floor pans from behind the drivers seat, the ammo box that sat on the rear and a few other odds and ends. happen to notice any scrap metal piles around there?

BigGuy

SOLD!!!!
Thanks for all your help, I did sell it on craigs list for $1500.00 to someone that had another one, he was happy to get the parts.
Your info was helpfull and it didn't go to the scrap yard.
Guy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks