• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with starting without Starting fluid.

crazywelder72

Thanks Martin. did you take a look at the video from today? i am puzzled by it. I don't think the HH could affect the fuel cut off position. but i know nothing about this really.

martinwcox

Yes I watched the vid, I see what you mean, if the shutoff stops at the 6'oclock position, a) why, b) is 7'oclock the defacto open position for full fuel flow. Being relatively new to all this myself, enquiring minds need to know!

I am studing the TM right now but it's not sinking in!

Martin.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I am not up to speed here so don't get mad, Martin, was this your truck?

If the HH was replaced, there is a grove that lever needs to be in, if its not in the groove, that could be why it doesn't go all the way forward. Of the 12 pumps I have worked on and dozens of other pumps I have helped others with, I have never seen one NOT get to the 7 O'clock position. Taking the safety wire off will be needed to further investigate, but for what you were looking at this time, no taking it off was not needed.

martinwcox

gimpyrobb,

No not my truck, Dave happens to live about 7 miles from me so I now have another MV buddy to bond with!

Met with Dave last weekend, took my Deuce over to his house.

I happen to have a spare HH (Chinese), the same is in my truck, figured Dave could try a new HH if necessary rather than buy one and find that was not the problem, expensive if it's not the issue.

Martin.

martinwcox

derby,

I bought MassM35A2's Deuce and he fitted the Chinese HH, he bought 2 as the shipping was almsot the same for 2 as for 1 so he figured why not have a spare. The truck runs like a champ (now I am doomed!) so I have to say the HH is doing it's job.

Let's see how we do with Dave's truck, we may have a second one running if all goes well.

Martin.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So your gonna want to pu the truck somewhere level. Block the wheels. Fuel and motor oil will drain out of the IP when doing this. Throw a tarp or crappy blanket down. Pull the injector lines. Pull the fuel lines. Open the "window" with 4 bolts just in front of the HH. Pull the fuel shut-off cap off. Once the fuel shut-off cap is off you will see a black bar with 2 crews holding it on. They will have safety wire on them. Cut the wire and remove the screws/bar. Under that bar will be a tab that has a rod end sticking through. The rod end will have a clevis pin or "C" clip holding it in place. Pull that clip off. Next pull that assembly out of the IP. The assembly will have a swing arm the clip came off of and 2 holes the screws for the black bar came out of. Now, While watching in the window that had 4 bolts, turn the motor over till the indexing line, lines up with the "spear" indicator(pic 54). Once that lines up, look in the side of the IP where you removed the rod assembly. There should be an arrow indicator near a gear tooth painted red(pic 58). Once that is all lined up, take off the 4 nuts holding the HH down. With everything lined up, the head should slide up with minor force(pic 62). HAND force, NOT pry-bar force. If it doesn't lift up, it may be a little out of time. You may need to turn the motor over the slightest bit, so the groove in the "4 bolt window" moves toward the motor. Once the HH comes out, put the new one in. Make sure the timing marks line up when you put it together.

Attachments

derby

Wala, You are done. Have fun and stay off the Green beer until all the lines are put back on. You don't want to cross thread anythingrofl

crazywelder72

Thanks for the pics and blow-by-blow. It will help immensely. I still wonder about that cutoff lever, i wonder what i will see when i cut the saftey wire and go a tad bit more into it.

does anyone take the time to redo the saftey wire or do they just use loctite?

crazywelder72

here is a nice closeup pic... (for no particular reason) but seriously, what are people doing about the gaskets? i see there is one under thie cutoff cover. should i use a permatex type liquid gasket ar are people reinstalling with whats left of the old one.. (i cant believe i just asked that)

Attachments

Horst

I went thru removing and installing the HH a couple of times and just reused that gasket all the time. It never leaked oil.

Once you cut the safety wire and remove the bolts and remove the cut off rod be very careful not to loose that little pin on the other end of it. It slides into the plunger sleeve and moves that up and down.

Last edited:

Horst

Picture 6 from Gimpy shows the rod with the pin at the end. Pull the rod out slowly and you will not loose it. Just be aware that it is not fixed in the rod but can slide out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks