• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with title!!!

wilsonmotors

i am trying to buy a duce with no title just a bill of sale. the guy told me all he has is a bill of sale and that another guy has the title but it is not in the guys name that has the title. from what i get there was a death in the family and the truck was sold to him and one of the family members would not release the title because of fighting in the family or something but he was given a bill of sale. is there any way for me to get a title or go about getting it registered in my name? can anyone help? or ideas?

wsucougarx

Walk away my friend walk away. There are plenty of deuces out there with title. Believe me, it's not worth the headache to deal with title issues. Unless, of course, you get an outstanding deal on the truck and plan to use her for parts.

Blueduce

I bought my Deuce in Texas with only a bill of sale. I had to get a vin search done on the truck. TxDMV - Title Check Once the vin has been cleared you take that paperwork to the DPS and buy what's called a bonded title. The bond is figured on the value of the vehicle. You will need three things for the bonded title.

If you need any more help PM me I'm just up the road from you in the Red Oak / Waxahachie area.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my Deuce in Texas with only a bill of sale. I had to get a vin search done on the truck. TxDMV - Title Check Once the vin has been cleared you take that paperwork to the DPS and buy what's called a bonded title. The bond is figured on the value of the vehicle. You will need three things for the bonded title.

If you need any more help PM me I'm just up the road from you in the Red Oak / Waxahachie area.
Blueduce is correct on this. Either do the above or walk.

K9Vic

True a bonded title is for when there is no title in hand and you complete that process to register it in your name. However if you cannot get the original title signed by the power of attorney for the person that is deceased, you run the risk of loosing your bond and the vehicle being taken away from you by that person.

Do a VIN check on it, you can also send it to me and I can see if my database comes up with anything. Keep in mind that it would likely be the serial number as there is probably no true VIN.

The final answer would be to pass and walk away if you cannot get a title since it has one. Even if you use it as parts you can still maybe be sued for buying something that you know should not have been legally sold. So I would pass.

PM me with more info, I know of a few M35A2 in your area that are for sale.

Bonded titles are not complex, but it is an all day process and you being in Ennis will be a PITA as you have to drive all the way to the TXDOT office in Waco as noted being in Ellis County after getting you paperwork from the tax office and surety bond (Note, per TxDOT page Ellis tax offices are serviced by Waco location). I think you start out at the tax office, from there you get a surety bond and either back to the tax office or to the Texas TxDot office. I do not recall if they print out a bonded title for you at that time, or if it is mailed. Make sure all your personal information is correct on your checks, licenses and insurance and they ALL match exactly. I had the surety bond put my middle name on it and was a PITA to correct. So make 100% sure everything is exactly identical in the paperwork. For me I had the Tax office and TxDOT locations with 10 miles of each other and multiple locations between the two that can supply a surety bond.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Timesaver for Texas residents doing a bonded title: Mail the 130 and 270 forms to the DMV office, rather than going there and standing in line.

AceHigh

You get a notorized bill of sale and a bonded title, but someone else (who has a bad attitude) has the legitimate title and can pop up at any time.

What could possibly go wrong?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since there is a known title for the truck , but the seller does not have it , I would run as far and fast as I could from this truck . Let the seller file a claim with the estate using his bill of sale and if the judge overseeing the estate gives him the title , then buy the truck . Since there is a title the legal owner can come get his truck at any time , bonded title or not.

Last edited:

buck

I would pass. Even if buying for parts. If the party with title in hand ever showed up wanting dad's or grampa's truck back, you could be facing big problems.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buying a truck that comes with it's own family drama, and someone who can produce the legal title at any time, and say "That truck, officer.. It's mine, and here is the title.."

PASS........

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This SOUNDS like a STOLEN truck, it is not even legal to sell a vehicle onwed by someone else (title holder) without their permission.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No way I would touch that truck no matter how nice it is. Even if it was an M756A2 I'd pass.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As everyone is saying. On this particular truck, IT HAS ISSUES!!!. Run, don't walk to the nearest exit!!!!

If you find another truck that doesn't have the known title issues, the Bonded title in TX is a great way to get a title.

Wish we had bonded titles here in OK.

wilsonmotors

ok now i got the full deal on the truck. what he thinks is a bill of sale is a bill of sale but it is a sf97 from gov. liqu. with the dead previous owners name on it and it is the orginal sf97. but how will i get a title with a sf97 with a dead guys name on it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok now i got the full deal on the truck. what he thinks is a bill of sale is a bill of sale but it is a sf97 from gov. liqu. with the dead previous owners name on it and it is the orginal sf97. but how will i get a title with a sf97 with a dead guys name on it.
The executor goes and gets a court order directing a title be issued, then they get the title, and then they can sell it to you. YOU can't do anything with the SF-97.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im sure going the court route will be #1 priority of the Executor, and taking care of this problem... NOT... Find another truck with no drama.

markmontana

Tell them to call you when the executor of the estate has finalized the title issue and has it in their hand.

Are you in a big hurry? This isn't a medical emergency (HA- most of us here have mental illness when it comes to military vehicles...)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks