• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help with wheels and tires

Jim Deggys

My A3's 6x6 rear (axles + tires) is 84" wide (view from rear) with "14.5R20's". What would be my best option to increase the width from 84" to 96"? Reason being, for Aesthetics I want my tires to be flush with the sides of the shipping container I am mounting on the back. My total curb weight will be around 20,000 lbs, all on-road, flat surface driving, <50mph. I was assured by a few people that the M35 will cary that weight without any issues.

The options I have thought of:

Option 1: Buy (4) 42 x 19.5 x 21 tires at $700 each. (Adds 5" overall)

Option 2: Find (6 hole budd wheels on 11X20 tires and replace with a wider tire like 42x12.5r20 on each wheel (hits 96") but I'm not sure how split rims work and I want to go tubeless.

Option 3: Hire a machine shop to build 3" - 6" wheel spacers. (adds 6" - 12").

Thanks for the help

Eliteweapons

I would look for some mud truck rims. I did a quick search and found the ones on this truck for example. I don't know if you are going to get 12 more inches of width out of it but its a place to start looking. the other thing to consider is that the more deep dish offset you have the more sideloading you will put on the hub bearings.

M275Fan

You could flip the hubs on the A3 axles back to the standard layout and add the necessary chamber to the inside of the wheel. This will allow you to run the A3 wheels much like the M939A1+ trucks. It may be the cheapest solution as you will only need to cover the cost of tools if you do it yourself. This configuration should put you closer to flush with the bed. May be worth a shot. I do believe several members have done this modification as well.

Edit:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?28047-A3-Rims-finally-mounted!!!!!&highlight=
Link to thread where it was done

Last edited:

M275Fan

Gimpy it seems that is the reason, but the he said he is also mounting a connex box on the truck so a wider stance would provide more stability in windy conditions.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My only concern would be the bearings. Since the A3 trucks have air seals for the ctis built into the bearings and the bearings are $900 each, that could get expensive if he wants to keep the ctis option.

Jim Deggys

Lol, my target market is Military. I was going to use an international 4300 but decided an M35 would look better and draw more looks. Also for marketing, I'm sure a 6x6 pizza truck would make a few magazines.

Jim Deggys

My only concern would be the bearings. Since the A3 trucks have air seals for the ctis built into the bearings and the bearings are $900 each, that could get expensive if he wants to keep the ctis option.
Could I keep the A3 bearings and 14.5R20's in the front and replace the rear axle bearings from a CTIS to a regular A2 setup. Or can I still use the CTIS bearings in all hubs but lose the CTIS function?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would imagine swapping to A2 bearings should work, but I haven't been in any A3 axles. I just posted what I've read about the A3 axles. Give the spacers a try, knowing the ctis might have to "take a hike".

DrillerSurplus

We sold a neighbor a M35A3 and he saw these Michelin 445/65R19.5 tires mounted on 10 hole bud rims that we had. They were made as a retrofit kit for the M1000 trailer that the M1070 pulls to improve mobility in the sandbox. The center hole diameter matched the A3's and he had the capability to machine holes for the 6 bolt A3 pattern, so he took one to try out. When he came back to get 5 more we got a few pictures.
I don't know if it added 12", but between the wider tires and more offset, it was definitely wider than the 14.5 tires.

M35A3 w Michelin XZY 445-65R19.5 tire.jpg

If you didn't already have the A3, I think one of the M944A1 SEORTM gull wing trucks would make a great food truck.
M944A1 SEORTM gullwing truck.jpg M944A1 SEORTM gullwing truck  sideview.jpg