• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT wheel adaptor plates

Preacherboy

I like the look !!! Not being nosy but what is a rough general total cost of the tire and rim set up ? That will be my next project ..

Factor in the hemtt wheels, hemtt vavle stems, getting the hemtt wheels milled out, and the adapter plates; plus shipping. Prices range on the hemtt wheels.

The tires are also ranging in price. I happen to have my eyes open and get an incredible deal on the tires. I have about $2000 invested in that setup, of course I did a lot of work and drove to get the wheels and plates, no shipping cost.

hotfam1

Machining the HEMTT wheel?

Howdy, I'm new here but have owned several military vehicles, so I do my own fabrication on many things, unless someone else does it better for cheaper! Mike's plates are better looking than most and the price is right for me. So..... My question is about the "machining" of the HEMTT center to allow the clearance for the 6 lugs of the 2.5 Rocks. When I think machining I think machine shop, i.e. lathe, end mill, surface grinder, etc. So I was wondering if anyone has used a plasma cutter to open the center of the HEMTT wheel? Any pros, cons? suggestions? Thoughts?
Thanx!

Preacherboy

Welcome hotfam1!, I'd think that you would want the hemtt wheel centers cut out sort of precise and I'm not sure how one would do that with a plasma cutter or torch...with that being said, I don't have lots of experience working with steel like that.

13 MIKE

Yes you can use a plasma to cut out the centers, in fact Josh's (Preacherboy) rims were cut out with plasma. I trued them up on my CNC. If you lay your cut line out, and take your time you could cut it out accurate enough to just clean it up with a grinder.

When i cut wheels out for my own use thats all i will do. Customers get the good stuff.:mrgreen:

hotfam1

Thanx folks, that helps. I'm looking to keep my costs down as I convert the HEMTT wheels. I have a few friends that are interested in the same conversion, so we are thinking about making a jig and cutting the centers out that way with a plasma cutter. Clean up with a grinder is fine, nothing fancy just so it works!:p

Preacherboy

This morning I had the opportunity to drive down the highway for an extended period of time. My wife said my speed ranged from 55-65 instead of the usual 45-55 with the stock 39" tires. It was a sweet ride!

Unforgiven

13 Mike,

You wouldn't happen to also sell the Hemtt rims with the centers already machined out would you? An adapter plate + rim kit?

Good looking plates. [thumbzup]

13 MIKE

I sold the last of my rims last week. I still have plates in stock though.

Thanks for the compliment.

Preacherboy

I got mine from headwizard, but there is another guy selling them in the classfieds too. Also, look on ebay. I know of at least one person that welded the hole shut and redrilled them for more common (hence cheaper) commercial truck valve stems.

srodocker

hrm k. the guy that im getting the rims from has 2 styles. one with the bolt pattern on the edge or close to it. and another thats like a deep dish. was thinking the deep dish for the front as i could turn sharper. or am i all wrong?

spicergear

my hemtt stems seem to be working out just fine, so are mikes.

I've heard of trouble when people try to use commercial stems in the large hemmtt wheel hole.
When I put the A3 wheels on the front of my crane truck, they had some big clunky valve stems in them. I went to replace them with commercial stems but they were not the right size for the wheel hole. I ended up going to a tire shop that does a lot of ag stuff and they had a stem that was darn near dead on but had a large stem. I got an adapter cap that went to a typical size stem and it made the length spot on and they fit the wheel hole(s) perfectly.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
13Mike adapter plates are great art work I got my set last week and sand blasted them and metal prep for Epox and heat bake them.
as for stems I will use one for Payloader rims that ar about the same as the hemmt stems
Mike keep the good work you are an great help to all of us in the MV World.
Thank you.
From FOB IORN HORSE, MI
I so lost.:grd:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the nuts that is used on these rims are call tork flange nut use oil when torking them and less a chance to gullup the threads.

ApopkaFL

Banned
I finally got time to make some plates. Some guys were asking about how they bolt up differently. You can remove the outer studs, and press them into the new plate. Assemble the wheel with the plate underneath, and bolt together as normal.

This allows you to mount the wheel on the truck, and not have it sit inboard towards the springs.

The plates work both ways so the choice is yours.

That rim does not look to differnt then the M35A3 rim. Here is a photo of a M35A3 that I mounted yesterday with XZL 53" tire

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks