• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HEMTT wheel adaptor plates

blackrock

Treeguy,

Are you still thinking of using the modified wheels or trying for the bolt on adapter to the truck? I'm rather leaning towards the truck adapter after seeing the "bobbed engine swap and hydro steering" link to them. Those would allow us to use the fmtv or other 10 bolt rims without modification to the wheels.

Im looking into making the adapter right now. If i had to guess off hand on a price its going to b around $300/ wheel. Thanks Kyle

treeguy

BadMastard, I have decided to cut out the centers on the FMTV wheels that I have and get plates made to bolt to the inside with the 20 studs. By using a 1/2" plate it will give me great back spacing averaged over 6 wheels of 8.88". The back spacing is measured from the further most interior lip (where the rubber meets the rim) to the inside of the new plates. I say averaged spacing because this outer lip is not machined when the rims are factory made, it is a stamped edge and then the rims are formed. Because of the stamping the edge is slightly wavy so any measurement from here is not precise from wheel to wheel. None of this is important and doesn't affect wheel spacing or mounting, it is just the location for measuring the back spacing.

I have seen, and have the drawings for the adapters that Cuukvee85 is using, but those are for HEMTT's with a flat mounting face not the bellied out face of FMTV's.

The reason I'm sticking with the FMTV's is, I already have 8 of them so why spend money on HEMTT's and not work with what I already have. I also have the internal bead lock units and one runflat bead lock that I'm going to cut out of the tire.

BadMastard

Treeguy,

Good point on the size and shape of the wheel. I was thinking the backspacing of the fmtv wheels would be corrected somewhat by the width of the bolt on hub adapter, but that's a guess not a measurement. I'm totally up for making bolt on centers and cutting out the fmtv centers. I want to reuse the fmtv rims as well, makes the most sense to me as well, unless we find out making centers will cost more than hemmts! I have sent out for a quote on the hub adapters, so we can compare costs. If you get a better deal in bulk I may be able to throw in with you, or if you want me to price match out here, I'd need a copy of the cad drawings you are working with. However I can help.

jeeper2097

Any update on the adapter plates?

I have access to a laser, that can cut these cheaper than machining. If any body has these drawn up already that will also help reduce the cost.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Why not buy an off the shelf 8 to 10 lug adapter that people use to run semi wheels on their 3/4 or 1 ton trucks?

You do realize the unsprung weight you're going to be adding per wheel right? HEMTT wheels weigh about 180lbs, just the wheel assembly alone. A typical 8 lug wheel is only about 40lbs. You're going to be adding at least 140lbs plus the adapter weight per wheel. Probably nearly 600lbs of unsprung weight added.....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ahh, certainly. That might help in that situation. I was thinking this was a daily driver or something for the road. I was thinking "gosh, he's gonna hate life".