• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Here we go long distance deuce recovery

Blood_of_Tyrants

Tips:

1. GET ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE INSURANCE!
2. Get a good cushion for the seat. You will need it.
3. Get some of the Bose noise canceling headsets that still allow you to plug in a radio.
4. Plan on taking at least 5-6 days. Many years ago I made the trip from Whidbey Is to a small town in Tennessee in 3 days in a '72 442 Oldsmobile.
5. Change out all the filters before you leave.

KsM715

Wow! 2500 miles? It took me 8 hrs to go 300+/-. About 3 hrs in I told myself (with ear muffs and know one but your self to talk to) that unless I have the $$$ to ship Im not buying anything thats not local. By the time I got home I felt like I could turn around and do it over and probably will someday.

BMCUSNAVY

Congrats USMC.

My recovery from San Clemente to Whidbey Is, was hell. Oil leaking out of water fording hole & not knowing any better figured it was a wet clutch, plugged it, added 3 qts. of 90W (big mistake). I checked the tranny fluid & it was full. Hit the road & Clutch slipping from Medford OR to home. Just replaced clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing. didn't see any 90w leaking from the forward seal on the tranny, shafts appear to be nice & tight & put the tranny back into the truck. Still got a vibration & its getting worse. Dropping the tranny again & taking it in to be inspected & see what is going on.

m35tech

I know I was a little sore after the 1500+ miles I drove mine back, and that was before I updated the seats, and it had no cab heat..... but triple AAA plus with motorhome coverage worked since they swapped a tire for me on the side of the road......

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My recovery from San Clemente to Whidbey Is, was hell. Oil leaking out of water fording hole & not knowing any better figured it was a wet clutch, plugged it, added 3 qts. of 90W (big mistake). I checked the tranny fluid & it was full. Hit the road & Clutch slipping from Medford OR to home. Just replaced clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing. didn't see any 90w leaking from the forward seal on the tranny, shafts appear to be nice & tight & put the tranny back into the truck. Still got a vibration & its getting worse. Dropping the tranny again & taking it in to be inspected & see what is going on.
BMCUSNAVY, I have all the respect in the world for you, and I know you're not joking or trying to be funny, but the way you worded that has me rolling! Tears!!

I think we're all about half nuts!

Hang in there man!

Last edited:

wvhillbilly

The longest recovery I personally know of was Annapolis, MD to somewhere in New Mexico, 2300 miles. At 1500 miles, they lost a front wheel bearing. Otherwise, THAT WAS IT!!! Good luck, man. Do like I did, and take plenty of fluids, belts, hoses, oil, tools, etc. Re: tools; I found out quick that you will need 11/16, 13/16 sockets/wrenches. ADD THEM to your tool kit NOW! And Grease the thing, adjust the drag link, and at least CHECK the fluids before you hit the road!! Also, don't forget a lock and maybe a chain for the steering wheel. Your trip makes my puny 460 miles look sick..GOOD LUCK

usmc deuce cpl

The first are from Idaho after jumping onto hwy 30 into Wyoming on way to Alabama. The next one is Cabelas in Nebraska. And the last 3 are in Missouri in an ice rain. Had a 1/2 inch of ice on front of jeep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks