• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

here's one for ya. wont start

by the way you described it, SOUNDS like the relay cooked. Get out the test light and/or multimeter and trace it down. The DH relay is a lawn mower solenoid. I paid 8$ for it at Oreilly Auto parts and it works like a charm. Cheap insurance if you ask me. Also, if you did wind up frying the starter, a gear reduction starter will turn your motor over considerably faster. My truck starts like a DREAM in the cold!

natem

My starter was making nasty sounds and turning slow, turned out the two bolts holding the motor case to the drive head were loose. Tightened them, now it sounds and works like new.

Nate

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate doing anything with wiring. To many disasters created by my own inexperience. I did the DH conversion with no problems. Also did the glow plug control bypass, and soon I'll be doing the 12volt conversion for the GPs. "So easy a caveman can do it."

dmilkman589

correct. im hearing the black relay click witch is the glow plug relay but no click out of the starter relay. when i wake up in the mornin ill feed the horses and get right too checkin that out and ill let you all know

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back on Dec 20th you posted that your battery was going dead aver a couple of days of 17degree weather. Did you get that fixed?

Before attempting ANY electrical repairs or troubleshooting, make sure BOTH batteries are fully charged and load tested.

Winter is a killer of batteries.

Don't "guess" that they are good, even new ones, as I have seen batteries fresh off the shelf that where bad.

This test is an industry standard and is also listed on the first few pages of the Troubleshooting Section of the TMs.

Last edited:
Sizzling sounds, are often cable ends or battery terminals, melting/arcing out.

Clean and inspect all of your heavy battery cables.

Cold weather causes low battery voltage and higher friction, and that means higher amps drawn, and that means weak connections fail.
Like warthog and doghead mentioned...make SURE your batteries are good. It wont hurt anything to go ahead and have them load tested. If they are weak or bad, combined with the cold weather...well you see what doghead said. That combination could have caused your starter relay to go tits up. Don't go throwing money at it until you eliminate the easy no brainer stuff first. If it does turn out to be your starter, I used the P/N GMK3764 or autozone number of DL8401S. Lifetime warranty for 159$. Good luck and keep us posted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks