• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey guys, been a while. Figured I'd show off where I'm at with the 1008

downrangecop

Funny how time flies, huh? When I picked up my M1008 almost 2 years ago, I fully intended on being done with it by now, and showing off my own build thread. Well here we are. I'm still in progress, but figured now is as good a time as any, so sit back and enjoy. :popcorn:

truck.jpg
So here she was when I first picked her up. 32,000 miles, brand new BFG all terrains, and all for $3000. I was a happy camper... for about a week. Then I realized I needed to lift it. I ordered 4 HMMV 37" take offs and a 4" rough country (yea yea, I know why they call it rough country) lift. It was all done on a budget. The tires cost $450, the lift only set me back $300 with shocks, and I picked up and ORD shackle reversal kit for the back end.

downrangecop

Within a couple days, I got the lift in, and was happy. I sold the BFG's on it, which were brand new, for $400. All was good until I tried to mount the Goodyears onto the steel rims. Since the steel rims were 12" wide, there was no way in He!! the cheverons were gonna mount up. So I did some more horse trading and swapped them, the rims, and $200 for a set of 35" swampers on Mickey Thompson Alcoas
IMG_2645.jpg
It was quickly apparent that the alcoas weren't gonna fly. A couple bucks in good all metal primer and flat black spray paint, along with sandpaper and a couple hours time, and here we are-
IMG_2795.jpg

Attachments

downrangecop

So she was coming along nicely til I grenaded the starter and fried the relay, along with all the fusable links. Did the Doghead mod, upgraded my glowplugs and installed a glowplug button and we were back in business.

It was time to celebrate in the mud and extremely rare for So Cal snow

IMG_2847.jpgIMG_2848.jpgIMG_2876.jpgIMG_2877.jpgIMG_2878.jpg

Danger Ranger

Sweet, well done. I like those wagon wheels you started with, too bad they wouldn't work. The new set is nice, as are the Interco tires you put on. Is this a dd, or a weekend warrior? Those Super Swamper TSLs will not like the pavement....

Is there a repaint in the works?

downrangecop

Next was some minor driveline upgrades. Had all U joints upgraded to the heaviest duty I could find. Flushed all the fluids and put in Lucas and quality synthetics, since I was going to attempt to haul the toys out to the desert.
truck2.jpgtruck3.jpg

That's when I realized just how crappy a 6.2 can be. 20 mph up a grade if you're lucky.

downrangecop

It's not a DD, just a desert bomber, trail raider, and toy hauler, not to mention pride and joy :D

Well I decided I wanted to go 37's for sure, when a friend of mine called me with the old "Come here, come quick, and bring cash!" call. He found a set of 38" swamper SSR's in good shape for $400 on Mickey Thompson Alcoas! I snagged them up as quick as I could, and sold my 35's to my buddy for $400. I mounted up my 38's, trimmed some body work and decided it was time to hit the rattle cans...
IMG_2992.jpgIMG_2995.jpgIMG_2994.jpg

downrangecop

Next I dropped on some KC's that i found new in the box for $40!

545.jpg541.jpg

Thankfully I had my little helper to assist with wiring, and hitting the horn every time daddy went under the hood. Well at least she has my sense of humor ;-)

downrangecop

Now I finished up my ORD crossover steering kit, which I waited WAY to long to do, and picked up a set of zero rate add a leaves to move the front axle forward an inch or so. That'll cure my rubbing problem. Then I can clean up the wheel well cuts and get some new rubber. Now I think I'm finally over just how terrible those rough country springs ride. I'm going to order up new springs, new bilstien shocks and shock towers, and completely redo the lift, keeping it at 5" for center of gravity purposes.

Then I want to pull everything out of the cab and spray it with bed liner for insulation/ sound deadening/ cleaning purposes. I'm also contemplating throwing in a modern 60/40 bench seat out of a 99 ish Silverado. That's all coming up in the next couple months (my christmas present to myself). That and maybe a turbo kit... or an engine swap... maybe a 502...

downrangecop

What's really funny is if you look at the pic of the camo on the passenger side just forward of the rear wheel, the black camo makes the shape of a howling dog. Must have been completely subconscious because I painted it all myself and didn't spot it til someone pointed it out almost 6 months later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks