• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi from Chicago

Swyzzlestickz

This is for certain seeing as how I know absolutely nothing about diesels. I have to figure out how to get that dead block out of the truck which shouldn't be to hard, I'm becoming a YouTube certified mechanic. Afterwards I'm going to clean everything up, por 15 everything I can. Do something about my rear diff. It puked it's guts out yesterday so I now have to learn to do something about that.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swyz.
Just catching up, engine swap is pretty straight forward, you'll need to pay attention to the electrical system. The mil 24v system is based off dual alternators, you will need the harness and bracketry to make that work, or convert to 12v system. Lots of info out there.
JC

FloridaAKM

Welcome from Florida, looks like you have your work cut out for you. All you need is time, tools & $$$. Your wife will probably have alot to say about what goes on as you dig into it!

Swyzzlestickz

@Florida I know I need time, tools, cash, and muscle. The missus doesn't care about what i am back in the yard doing as long as there is air conditioning in there once i am done. @Scar, my plans are to rip out that boat anchor and try to trade my running gasser for a diesel K series truck.

cobra5

Welcome from Montana and former resident of Chicago. Just one word of advice before you start buying parts. Take into account everything you need to put that truck back together and see where you are in terms of dollars. It looks to me that you bought some ones parts truck and all the little things that are missing will nickel and dime you to death. I personally would look for another complete and running M1009 that has a horrible body and pull the engine from it and all the little pieces you need for your truck. When you are done you can part out the new donor truck and recoup some of your money back.

Swyzzlestickz

That makes sense, I have been looking and everyone in the city is looking to get a fortune for the diesel trucks. I found a nice diesel suburban but the guy isn't coming down from the 1.1k mark. I'd trade my running gasser K5 with all its spare parts for a complete diesel K series truck

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Chicago Burbs!

I rebuilt a Detroit 453 two winters ago, one of the most satisfying things I've done. No experience.....just a repair manual, engine hoist, engine stand........and a ton of patience. I'd go for it if it's not a daily driver and you can make the time.

Swyzzlestickz

Nice! I am thinking about it. It seems that it would cost me more to buy the parts I need in order to see it run diesel. I am thinking of rebuilding it out of the truck just to get familiar with it. I am planning to get another truck in the future. M1008 or M1009...My son wants one now so I am attempting to think ahead. If you're ever in the mood to give lessons, I am willing to bring the beer/wings/bourbon your choice and tons of questions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks