• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High capacity drop hitch?

Ukraine Train

I'm getting ready to weld a 2" hitch to the cross member under the pintle and figure I'll need about a 10" drop ball mount. Most of the ones I'm seeing only have a 5000-6000lb tow weight rating. Draw-Tite has a 12,000lb model but it's only an 8" drop. Are there any 10" versions with a 10,000lb capacity?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a great solution. I want to do the same thing on my LMTV to pull a 25 ft camper trailer, tongue weight only 500 lbs, and an 18 ft equipment trailer, tongue weight about 1000 lbs.

I have never used a 'cushioned' hitch. That is a good idea. My other hitches rattle badly on big bumps.

Etrailer is a nice company to deal with. My 2c.

Bob

oregonfirefighter

I use a GEN-Y rated at 21,000 2.5" shank various drops available. Mine is also a combo for a couple sizes + pintle!!!!!! It was just under 400 but worth every dime if you pull multiple types of trailers. You can vary the drop and size/style

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget, all of these big drop ball mounts put a lot more stress on you actual receiver hitch. Check with the receiver manufacturer to see if they de-rate their hitches after a certain amount of drop.