• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HIGH SPEED GEAR SWAP With Photos, 1995 A-0

coachgeo

searching TM's but someone here may be faster than I will find it. If so please speak up.

In the hub do you load/pack anything else with grease beside bearings prior to putting in hub oil?

UPDATE: the TM just says pack the bearings. Does not mention anything special about grease that I saw. (no reference number etc.) we used marine wheel bearing grease cause of salt in our area (rust belt here)

TM 9-2320- 365-20-3 section/page 10-7

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You inspired me to swap in my set. Actually I paid someone else to do it. A bit more than I could do myself without screwing something up. I had feared a loss of low end power in exchange for higher top end. Not the case at all. I think the truck is quicker now. The engine can actually work in its power band instead of just zipping thru the gears. I did synthetic fluid in both axles and the front hubs also.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You inspired me to swap in my set. Actually I paid someone else to do it. A bit more than I could do myself without screwing something up. I had feared a loss of low end power in exchange for higher top end. Not the case at all. I think the truck is quicker now. The engine can actually work in its power band instead of just zipping thru the gears. I did synthetic fluid in both axles and the front hubs also.
Who'd you find to do it? I'm not having any luck in my area.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow up note: So its been a while since completing this project. The difference continues to amaze. Quieter, better fuel mileage, better drive-ability, Etc...
Sounds like the supply of Caiman Gear sets is slowly drying up. Good luck to those contemplating this change. So worth it!

Pointman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks