• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Higher top speeds and better braking

Lonesome715

I am VERY VERY VERY VERY interested in the tranny gearing. I have been racking my brain and buring up the internet trying to find a why to get more gearing. I will buy the new over drive gears if they are available.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well, lonesome glad you found this. send me an email and i will add you to the list of interested parties.

i said this last year and i will say it again now. my truck with .71 od, dual brakes, hyd power steering, will be at aberdeen. anyone who wants to drive it is welcome. come look at it arthur, it may solve some of your issues as well.

tom

saddamsnightmare

April 20th, 2009.

Dear APBLOOM:

Keep me in mind when you get to the split valve components for the M35A2 brakes, to convert to ESP standards. We old West Virginians have a fearsome respect for loss of any of the hydraulic side components on the deuce..... I can live with the transmission as it is.... I may not be able to live with the brakes in event of a component failure....:cry:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

NB: design the kits for a straight drop in, or as close as you can get them!:-D

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Our company has been in communication with a client who needs 100 trucks rebuilt from A2 models to "as close to" A3 models that is economically feasible. To that end, we have been researching two systems that will enhance the client's operations.

One is a dual-circuit service brake system, and the other is a transmission option that includes a kit of parts that would increase the 5th OD gear in the 3053 transmission from the stock 1:79 to 1:61.

As usual, the general hobbyists will benefit from the research that the "real" client will be paying for. If the project succeeds, we will be able to offer these two enhancements (along with the other stuff we continue to sell) to you folks on this Forum.

I would gladly be willing to hear any thoughts you all have on these ideas.

Arthur P. Bloom
Home
Why not also change the transfer-cases high range as well from 1.01:1 in high to say .98 or .92 to 1 in high range. That should really help with the speed. As for better fuel economy you're going to have spec out the engine and the rest of the gearing for the ideal combination at targeted speed. Then you'll have tailor your entire drivetrain to achieve this goal. I would change the transmission to the new Fuller 6spd medium unit it the right length, but you'll need a new clutch, I would than swap out the engine for a DT-466 something in the 250hp range, a new transfer-case ration like I said about 1: .92 to me seems to give you best top speed. You could swap out the 6.72 ratio rears for something else. I mean what are you oging to do with trucks is the issue is it just road use or offroad as well? It is for both I would use the new 6speed fuller transmission it has better overall ratios and with a OD.78 coupled a new .92 high gear range in the Transfer Case should give you a nice offroad speed. You could also reduce the low range from 1.98 : 1 to 2.00 or 2.10 : 1 really make it a monster offroad. I would put new shafts in the axles for the increase in torque. I would also put ARB airlockers in the diffs to give it better traction offroad. And again I would gear each range for maximum efficiency around 2100-2300rpm.

FreightTrain

Banned
Why not also change the transfer-cases high range as well from 1.01:1 in high to say .98 or .92 to 1 in high range. That should really help with the speed. As for better fuel economy you're going to have spec out the engine and the rest of the gearing for the ideal combination at targeted speed. Then you'll have tailor your entire drivetrain to achieve this goal. I would change the transmission to the new Fuller 6spd medium unit it the right length, but you'll need a new clutch, I would than swap out the engine for a DT-466 something in the 250hp range, a new transfer-case ration like I said about 1: .92 to me seems to give you best top speed. You could swap out the 6.72 ratio rears for something else. I mean what are you oging to do with trucks is the issue is it just road use or offroad as well? It is for both I would use the new 6speed fuller transmission it has better overall ratios and with a OD.78 coupled a new .92 high gear range in the Transfer Case should give you a nice offroad speed. You could also reduce the low range from 1.98 : 1 to 2.00 or 2.10 : 1 really make it a monster offroad. I would put new shafts in the axles for the increase in torque. I would also put ARB airlockers in the diffs to give it better traction offroad. And again I would gear each range for maximum efficiency around 2100-2300rpm.

Sounds like you just designed a Peterbilt,Freightliner,Mack,Navistar,Kenworth........

fabiodriven

Personally, I'd just be happy with a higher fifth gear. I'd prefer to leave my engine and everything else original. If you're going to go hog-wild and spec out an entire truck, you can do any gearing you want. What's a couple thousand dollar tranny when you're dropping 10-15K into your deuce?

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Sounds like you just designed a Peterbilt,Freightliner,Mack,Navistar,Kenworth........
Well getting a higher top speed is easy, it is the extra economy of fuel consumption that is hard.

You leave the standard gearbox in place and just play around with the transfer case putting a .90 to 1 in the transfer case would increase top-speed. It wouldn't really affect the off-road capabilities much since in most cases you want to use low-range off-road anyway. So that might be the easiest way to get better speed.

RangerDave

I'm pretty happy just going 55mph in a big scary old truck on good tires... My truck handles just fine on the level roads at speed with the stock equipment.... It's just the hills that kill the speed and the solution to that is more HP... so I'm content doing 20mph. Besides, how do you know you are going faster than 55 if your speedometer doesn't go that high?

I'm more interested in how the split braking system works... 2 master cylinders with airpacks, split lines with separate zones, in-line automatic shutoff valves for hydraulic (brak) fluid (like they use on construction/forestry equipment) for when the line blows the increased flow trips the valve and shuts the leak??? I've discussed this same head scratcher with the old man and he said to look at the Volvo air over hydraulic master cylinders.... more power and larger capacity... I have yet to see one though! Great topic!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Only down side is if you push the truck much faster your going to fry wheel bearins,Pinion bearings,Transfer case bearings,carrier bearings........
not so, you are only talking about less than 4500 rpm at the driveshaft. the only issue i ever had was the 90 wt oil in the transfer would foam at 70+ mph, and you should run 40 wt in the trans and transfer anyway to save fuel.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Well getting a higher top speed is easy, it is the extra economy of fuel consumption that is hard.

You leave the standard gearbox in place and just play around with the transfer case putting a .90 to 1 in the transfer case would increase top-speed. It wouldn't really affect the off-road capabilities much since in most cases you want to use low-range off-road anyway. So that might be the easiest way to get better speed.

if getting a higher top speed is so easy, why have so few done it? my first millenium reo ran 74 mph @ 3000 rpm, the second runs 65 mph @ 2500 with stock engine.
the mpg was the easy part, and 12 mpg empty and 11 mpg / 8klb load is pretty impressive for this size truck.
if you change the transfer, you change all the ratios = less power in all lower gears, more stress on clutch, etc.
change just 5th gear everything else stays the same.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me 5th gear isn't the problem. The problem is the wide jumps between gears IMO. I'm no speed demon so the stock od is fine with me but I sure wish I could find another gear between 3rd and 4th when loaded.

FreightTrain

Banned
why totally re-design the whole truck when peterbilt/KW/Mack/Ford/Etc have the exact thing your looking for?Put the deuce body on one of their chassis.Cause to go faster your going to have to change to NON-MILITARY tires.They were only rated for what the trucks do now.The braking system is marginal at best at current speeds.Everything was designed to go 55MPH max speed with the horsepower there.More power more broke parts,More speed more grenaded parts or a deuce parked on a honda with a Full load of kids.If you want to go fast buy a Civilian rig.:evil:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

if getting a higher top speed is so easy, why have so few done it? my first millenium reo ran 74 mph @ 3000 rpm, the second runs 65 mph @ 2500 with stock engine.
the mpg was the easy part, and 12 mpg empty and 11 mpg / 8klb load is pretty impressive for this size truck.
if you change the transfer, you change all the ratios = less power in all lower gears, more stress on clutch, etc.
change just 5th gear everything else stays the same.
Your example is a truck with an engine running 3000rpm and one with an engine running at 2500rpm of course there is going to be a top speed difference. I'm not sure what you trying to show here in this example.

The simple reason for not making a M35 go faster is simply because it isn't really economically advisable. Most people by a M35 to play with not drive daily. So if you tool around on and off road at 55mph for a couple weeks a year that is fine no big deal. You wouldn't really want to use them for actual long hauls because there are better trucks in the civilian market that do everything the M35 does minus the 6x6 function. I mean really lets be honest if you take this truck apart and redo the entire drivetrain from transfer case to the axles along with transmission you can make this truck go any speed you want. The problem do you really want to put 20K or so in a truck you bought for 3K? No that makes no sense.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

thanks, but i already know you were not sure!!
I'm not sure because you've given two rpm figures and no-context. If you want to make the example clear lets talk about wheel speed and than we figure out why one is doing 60 something at 2500rpm and the other over 70 at 3000rpm. I don't know enough about what you've done to the trucks to say anything of value. I mean you could have changed the gear ranges in the diffs of each axle and that would account for the differences in speed. You could have put a new transmission in one much lower gear ranges for the overdrive and kept the stock rear ends and tires. You could have just merely upped the top-end governor speed on the IP to allow the engine to run up to 3000rpm. To say you have is just an attempt to maintain a pretense of having more knowledge than I do but in reality you just didn't give enough information to actually make any cogent statement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks