• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Higher top speeds and better braking

fabiodriven

Sounds like alot of haters in here. Personally, I'd love to be able to toss my trikes in the back of my deuce and cruise at 75 mph to New Hampshire or Maine. :driver:I think this guy has a great idea. If it's not for you guys, don't buy it.

Lonesome715

Hey man! Good to see you over here. I agree completely. I want my Duece to hadle better on the highway so I can haul my toys not only to the woods, but into them as well.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

why totally re-design the whole truck when peterbilt/KW/Mack/Ford/Etc have the exact thing your looking for?Put the deuce body on one of their chassis.Cause to go faster your going to have to change to NON-MILITARY tires.They were only rated for what the trucks do now.The braking system is marginal at best at current speeds.Everything was designed to go 55MPH max speed with the horsepower there.More power more broke parts,More speed more grenaded parts or a deuce parked on a honda with a Full load of kids.If you want to go fast buy a Civilian rig.:evil:
You're right that increasing speed is a real problem for the brakes as it is. You would have to be a smart driver of the hot-rod M35. But you could also put an exhaust brake or jake-type brake on the truck coupled to bigger breaks possibly. And you are right about the increase in wear and tear on the drive train that would occur if you really increased the power of the stock engine. So you would have to increase the robustness of the entire drivetrain. This is a given.

Would it be worth it? I guess it is worth it if you want to drop about 20k into a 5k truck? I mean for just the bragging rights to say I've got a M35 that does 80mph top speed and snorts fire is cool to some. But lets face it if we want to keep our old ladies running in the 21st century we are going to have to get pretty creative because the part pile isn't bottomless. So I would consider looking into a modern DT-466 mechanical IP engine with new Fuller 6sp, new up-rated transfer case , axle shafts and so on because lets face these are the parts that are going to be the hardest to find first.

ETHOS

I think it is a good idea, i have no plans on exceeding 55 mph anyway, but it would be nice to drop the rpm level down at that speed.....

mine seems happy as far as engine speed at 50 mph

TedG

I have an M185A3 with the dual air pack setup. I have never traced out the lines yet to compare to my other M35A2's with single pack. The second pack is located near the battery box and infront of the t-case fill hole area. To fill the t-case, you need to remove the skid plate.

Regarding higher speeds and better braking, I am all for them but $ are the limiter. To me higher speeds would be 62-65mph!

Attachments

dmetalmiki

I am puzzled somewhat..(or thick!!) you gear the truck up and the transmission spins FASTER!? (to the point it burns bearings out???) (( please enlighten me)) mine runs 1200x20 tyres and a nice 50 mph at at 1750 revs. and I can assure you (anyone) that at that nice enuf! cruising speed EVERYTHING seems (and IS turning slower) AND quieter than "stock. I NEVER "seen 2500 rpm! and can keep up with (and pass) "regular commercial trucks" at LEGAL MAX road speeds. ( If I so choose) (but) / and I have no need or desire to go any quicker" dese r old trucks. running gear and brakes.

Last edited:

pigpenkiwi

Im new to this so if i sound stupid sorry but we just did our first trip in my duce 80 miles used 15 gallons of diesel towing 9000 total weight was 24000 truck handled better than i expected and better millage than i thought would like a little more power to pull hills but my first order is to up grade tires to super singles got some great leads from you guys were to get them from all it takes is money my kids love the truck we crused the sand dunes florance oregon fad to stay on hard pack but was fun any way soft sand just eat the little tires up