• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

Another Ahab

Film from a hundred years ago. Goring is in it too.
That Fokker had an impressive climb-rate, and impressive to see the Baron himself. Wow; great post frank8003:

- I'm guessing the mustached guy at the end of the film was a British aviator that got forced down (bullet in the cowling, you think that's what it was they were checking?).

- And were they priming the pistons on the Fokker with that little "oil-can"?

Where in the film was Göring? Guessing he was slimmer in his hey-day but couldn't identify which one he was.

Good stuff!

KaiserM109

RE the Lancasters (I only get on this forum about once a week) I read a Readers' Digest book about flying a Lancaster during WWII, but I don't remember the title. To get as much altitude as they could with a full bomb load they would do what they called "climbing the stairs." They would go as high as they could, then they would pull it up, full power and start into a stall. Before it stalled, they would nose it back forward and the plane would hold the little bit of air it gained. It was real rough to do because when he nosed it back down it would shake the whole plane. Wow! The fortitude it took to do that job day after day!

KaiserM109

That Fokker had an impressive climb-rate, ... And were they priming the pistons on the Fokker with that little "oil-can"?

... Good stuff!
Did you notice on both engines the cylinders rotates with the propeller?

I think the guy with the oil can was lubing the rocker arms. In flight I believe they would get lubed by oil thrown up from the cam.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you notice on both engines the cylinders rotates with the propeller?
Rotary engines. The end of the cam was attached to the firewall, and the engine spun around it. Simple and light weight for the power it produced, and self cooling.

One of the biggest issues in getting an early aircraft off the ground was coming up with an engine light enough, but with sufficient power to lift itself and the plane.
The Wright brothers didn't invent the aeroplane, they were just the first ones to come up with a successful combination and get it to fly under control.

Cheers

Another Ahab

Rotary engines. The end of the cam was attached to the firewall, and the engine spun around it. Simple and light weight for the power it produced, and self cooling.

One of the biggest issues in getting an early aircraft off the ground was coming up with an engine light enough, but with sufficient power to lift itself and the plane.
The Wright brothers didn't invent the aeroplane, they were just the first ones to come up with a successful combination and get it to fly under control.

Cheers
I was always under the impression that aluminum had a lot to do with the success of the Wright brothers. It made for a light block, of course (compared to cast iron). And wasn't their engine block aluminum?

It was kind of the Wonder Metal of that era (+/-):

- The Washington Monument was capped with it.

- Memorial Bridge in D.C. was highlighted with it.

- The memorial to the Lost-at-Sea of WWI in D.C was also sculpted in the metal.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why oh WHY should that airplane be "retired"...............................ain't NUTHIN that will give a "grunt" a better feeling than seein and hearin that girl screaming in......................unless it's the 30mm goin Brrrrrrurp brrrrrrup!! =)

NovacaineFix

I am a photographer from time to time, been meaning to make more time to do it more than my day job.
I wanted to share some of the low flying planes I see almost on a daily basis here in San Diego. We have a Marine base and a few Navy bases surrounding us, so there is always something flying in the air.
These are some I took that I never published.
Sorry, no video, as I don't do video much.
Some are cropped, some are just low res copies of my originals. All are pretty low.

Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.10.22 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.23.42 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.25.14 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.29.21 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.11.56 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.09.08 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.07.46 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.06.56 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.11.43 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 11.30.54 PM.jpg

Another Ahab

Another Ahab

Why oh WHY should that airplane be "retired"...............................ain't NUTHIN that will give a "grunt" a better feeling than seein and hearin that girl screaming in......................unless it's the 30mm goin Brrrrrrurp brrrrrrup!! =)
It's not about logic.

It's about huge corporations (Northrop-Grumman, Lockheed, et al), and industries (shipbuilding, aircraft manufacturing, and others) having BIG payrolls and seeking ways to keep the wheels on their wagons turning. Unfortunately, that means you and me opening our pockets through the federal treasury.

I might be wrong here. But I might also be right.

Sticking to the status quo (and even the tried-and-true) doesn't cut it for these large and influential groups.

You can see how we kind of got ourselves into a messy situation here. Always needing something "new" is built into the system.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Don't know how I missed this from June but here is a low fly day at St. Barth's.

Hi-speed, low passes over the hill with Corsair, P-40 and more.......here's the source of the aircraft.
I didn't know there were any Japanese Zeros out there in flying condition, that is very cool.

And the P-51 is just so noticeably faster than all the other aircraft of that video. I remember that from seeing the three of them here in D.C. this past spring. It's a remarkable plane.

That's all great stuff, plowboy; thanks a million. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks