• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

mutt_kahuna

low flyers Reno National championship air race edition

If a person has never attended the national championship air races,it should be on your bucket list..while they do the slow red bull pylon dodging at various places..this is where the fastest racing on the planet happens..imagine flying at apx 50 feet at 500+ mph in close proximity with 7 other aircraft...it's no wonder air race pilots have t shirts that say 'asphalt racing's for pu$$ies!'...Here's another video of the same pilot...VERY skilled and lucky...the airplane is a highly modded P-51 with a 3800 hp+ rolls royce griffon engine turning counter-rotating props..during this race Thom develops a fuel problem and the engine quits...MAJOR pucker factor!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2A5ywM8TNk

PJL

This is a must have bucket list item. I went to the Reno Air Races many years ago before my dad passed. Enjoyed it immensely.

Had a Huey flight awhile ago when the governor switch was inadvertently bumped down. The sound of the engine slowing down as we are climbing will pull your sphincter nearly up to your throat. It all ended will when the second pilot figured it out right quick.

Another Ahab

This is a must have bucket list item. I went to the Reno Air Races many years ago before my dad passed. Enjoyed it immensely.

Had a Huey flight awhile ago when the governor switch was inadvertently bumped down. The sound of the engine slowing down as we are climbing will pull your sphincter nearly up to your throat. It all ended will when the second pilot figured it out right quick.
Did they charge you extra for that added thrill?!! :naner::mrgreen:

BnaditCorps

Depending on if I go to Los Banos on Oct. 15 I might have more to add.

Air show is in town here that weekend and if I stay I'll go it with the fire department for standby, however if I go to Los Banos I won't have anything and I won't have as much fun. Hmph.

Another Ahab

Did they charge you extra for that added thrill?!!
I should have charged them.
Have you ever heard about a particular piece of hardware on the Huey called a "Jesus" nut?

The rumors I've heard as backstory to this was that it was part of a show or town event to bring in a barnstormer (hey, maybe that's where the name comes from!) to fly low and knock off the top of an old or falling down barn or structure as part of the entertainment. I can't confirm this, but I've heard the story a few times.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the barnstorming days, they commonly built structures on the airfields specifically for the aeroplanes to fly into. They were, obviously, built of very light weight materials rather tenuously held together.

The planes were often destroyed too, and a few pilots due to miscalculation on someone's part....

Cheers

Another Ahab

Svetlana; she is something else!

Does anybody here know what the stick was she operated with her left-hand (I get that the thumb-button operated her "smoke"), but was that her throttle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks