• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

Another Ahab

That airframe of hers looks featherweight, too; I noticed her groundsman picking it up at the tail wheel with one hand I think it was and walking it back to the apron. It must be pure raw horsepower with wings.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time for a couple of low flyers for Christmas!
Compared to the "scale" of the grasses in the background, I kinda think that first pic is a RC MODEL airplane. Are you sure it's an actual aircraft???
That shot on the left looks as low as a body can go, close to foolhardy; like what's the point?!
Many aircraft have "skid rails" in their lower structures for protection in the event of ground contact. I don't think that FUEL PODS have such protection and would therefore think this to be a highly unlikely actual flight profile by a sane pilot!!!
Just one spark and...

BOOM ! ! !

Another Ahab

That shot on the left looks as low as a body can go, close to foolhardy; like what's the point?!
Compared to the "scale" of the grasses in the background, I kinda think that first pic is a RC MODEL airplane. Are you sure it's an actual aircraft???
BINGO, John; that's it!

You're brilliant (or maybe I'm just like "duh").

I wasn't believing that any pilot would try that.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That B-17 low pass was from a "Don't mess with Texas" anti-littering campaign commercial a few years ago. It really was that low!

Cheers

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That B-17 low pass was from a "Don't mess with Texas" anti-littering campaign commercial a few years ago. It really was that low!

Cheers
I had to follow this up because I named my kid after guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan who helped kick off the campaign back in the 80's. Stevie Ray's helicopter crashed on August 27th 1990 and my son was born in early October. Momma wanted to come up with a name for the baby but after 5 days of calling him 'the baby' I suggested Stephen Myles...after Stevie Ray and Miles Davis.

Anyway, the Stevie Ray video and the video of the B-17 commercial are still out there. Thanks for leading me down that path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFD0Zyl_f0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2zH7VV-wV4

Another Ahab

Driving my daughter today on an an errand, and this loomed into view.

I begged her to grab my camera and take a shot. She got upset with me, but she nailed it!

Bird III.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stumbled over this link on a fb Cold War Aircraft site and had to share it. Took me an hour to read the great stories tied to the low flying pictures.

Covers a lot of aircraft and even has an Edmonton link with a homegrown boy who loved to push the envelope.

"Sgt. Scratch was born in Saskatchewan, July 7, 1919, and enlisted in the RCAF in Edmonton, as R60973 AC2 on July 20, 1940. He earned his wings as a Sergeant Pilot and flew with that rank for a long time. He flew Liberators from Gander, Newfoundland, as a co-pilot on anti-submarine patrols. Scratch was good at his job and was eventually raised to commissioned rank. On two separate occasions, Scratch stole multi-engine bombers and engaged in lengthy low-level and dangerous flying/ Jerry Vernon explains:

Hablo Espanol?

http://ifronline.blogspot.ca/2013_01_31_archive.html

Another Ahab

Stumbled over this link on a fb Cold War Aircraft site and had to share it. Took me an hour to read the great stories tied to the low flying pictures.
That was great stuff, plowboy; thanks for the treat!

Lots of great shots, the Japanese Betty's and the "wheels on the water" might be my favorites. But so many, it's hard to say really.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks