• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

Another Ahab

Great vid, foxmike. Thanks, Brother!

I'm guessing that the farmers in that valley gripe to each other about the noisy racket of "all that d*** air traffic" all the time.

Does anybody know WHERE this Mach Loop is? Scotland maybe?

steelypip

C-17 in the Mach Loop
First pass was a good effort and would have gotten full points in TA instruction. Second pass embarrasses some fast-mover tactical guys I've seen. Impressive. I'm sure USAF knows that this is the lowest usable payload C-17 in the inventory - the pilot's goombas obviously take up a lot of the max gross.

And, on more general principals, if you've never seen a max performance demo of a C-17 in person, it's emphatically worth watching. The airplane does stuff you don't expect with quickness, ease and grace, and the pilots doing the demos are always willing to wring it out to surprise those of us who grew up with lower performance heavy lifters.

The only other airplane really on my "I want to see that do its thing" list at the moment is the C-130J, which has an impressive power/weight ratio, rate of climb and minimum runway length. It should put on a fine show as well.

Another Ahab

The only other airplane really on my "I want to see that do its thing" list at the moment is the C-130J, which has an impressive power/weight ratio, rate of climb and minimum runway length. It should put on a fine show as well.

You made me go looking, steelypip (inquiring minds and all).

What's getting dumped between 1:35 -1:45, fire retardant, fuel?!

https://youtu.be/5rw4P9Z5JA8

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You made me go looking, steelypip (inquiring minds and all).

What's getting dumped between 1:35 -1:45, fire retardant, fuel?!

https://youtu.be/5rw4P9Z5JA8
Somebody FLUSHED the commode.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not exactly a "Low Flight", but it IS a CLOSE passing of two aircraft from a VERY unique angle and perspective.....

On June 17 a pilot filmed another aircraft coming straight at him just a 1000 feet below him leaving a beautiful contrail behind. Just amazingly beautiful.

(The article is in FRENCH, but the video is universal.)

http://www.20min.ch/ro/multimedia/videostory/story/De-magnifiques-images-d-un-avion-en-vol-13557000

http://www.20min.ch/ro/multimedia/videostory/story/De-magnifiques-images-d-un-avion-en-vol-13557000

YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBM9gHKxoIQ

WOW !

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
This is not a low flying aircraft, in the sense of normal aircraft. But thought it might be of interest anyway. This is a picture of a SCUD being destroyed. It was taken during the first Sand Wars, by a friend who was deployed with the Air Defence Unit, C-1/7 ADA. If I can remember right, and I may be wrong, this is in Haifa. As usual, the Patriot missile System fired two birds off at the Scud. The first is seen after it exploded and is raining parts of Patriot and Scud missile down over the city. The second, (insurance) bird can be seen going off into the sky, just before it is given a self destruct command.

Scannen0001.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
In December 1963 or 1964, while on our way to Dallas, Texas, from Los Angeles, we stopped for gas. We were in the middle of nowhere. There was a gas station and dinner. While gassing up, we heard a deep rumble. The station attendant yelled at us to get in the station! My parents were looking around like WTH, is this fool talking about. I was about 9-10, my brother younger. Then a wall of sound hit us! So loud, it was not possible to scream to one another and understand yourself, let alone someone else. We all ran into the station! I turned out that the gas station was at the end of a SAC disbursion field. The aircraft, (B-52's) I think it was 9 aircraft, cant remember, but they had all scrambled on a training exercise. One after another, so close that the tail gunners must have been able to read the pilots name on his flight suit, in the aircraft behind them. We could almost count rivets on the skin. They were still dirty, and low and slow. Simply incredible!! Something I will never forget. I think we were someplace around Odessa, but not sure. Oil country anyway. I have listened to the BUFF many times since, but that first time was the mother of all air shows.

After watching the clip, I saw another film clip in the left hand corner, showing the B-52 and B1, at the 2017 RAF Cosford Air Show. Great clips of the takeoffs. The B1, is from Ellsworth AFB, in South Dakota. An old friend. My Aunt lives in Hill City, about 40 miles from the AFB, and all of the aircraft practice low level in the area. You can see them just about every day. There are B-52's there also. The pilots go a little lower, to get a good view of Rushmore, so it's always a good show. The best time to visit is during Sturgis. Bikes uncountable, aircraft flying overhead every day. The AFB has a small museum, just inside the Gate. Well worth stopping for a eye full. They have a B-1 on display in front of the museum, as well as a B-52.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I love the sight of those low birds, occasional around here for Arlington funeral fly-overs (but getting more and more rare).

That "black smoke" is a chief characteristic. Anybody know what it's about, just older less efficient engines or something?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the sight of those low birds, occasional around here for Arlington funeral fly-overs (but getting more and more rare).

That "black smoke" is a chief characteristic. Anybody know what it's about, just older less efficient engines or something?
They wanted orange smoke, but it was cost prohibitive and clashed with the blue sky in the background.

OK - all kidding aside.... I believe you are correct. EIGHT early evolution jets were now nearly as clean-burning and efficient as their subsequent generational descendants.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

DC-8 Ship 1.jpgPRATT_&_WHITNEY JT3C.jpg Brother Ahab you nailed it. The pictures are of the first DC-8 on it's maiden flight in 1958, using the Pratt & Whitney JT3C/J57 Turbojet engine.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air Canada Near Tragedy AVERTED at SFO

This is another one of those posts that really doesn't seem appropriate anywhere else in the SS Forums.

Recently, an AIR CANADA pilot approaching SFO (San Francisco International) mistakenly lined up on the TAXIWAY instead of the RUNWAY!!!

On the taxiway ahead of him were several planes loaded with passengers AND FUEL. At the LOW ALTITUDE of just 81 ft AGL (Above Ground Level) the descending airliner responded to cockpit control inputs and ceased its descent and began its GO AROUND !

Had these evasive actions not happened in time, this could have been the worst air disaster in all of history resulting in one airplane's collision with MULTIPLE airliners on the ground.

Here is a worthy article for your reading and education....

NTSB: Air Canada close-call at SFO was even worse than first reported

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/...ally-flew-over-plane-before-aborting-landing/

Thank God this is now only an incident and not a catastrophe.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

“I find it remarkable that the Air Canada crew had still not fully comprehended their situation..."

No kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guyfang

Staff member
This is another one of those posts that really doesn't seem appropriate anywhere else in the SS Forums.

Recently, an AIR CANADA pilot approaching SFO (San Francisco International) mistakenly lined up on the TAXIWAY instead of the RUNWAY!!!

On the taxiway ahead of him were several planes loaded with passengers AND FUEL. At the LOW ALTITUDE of just 81 ft AGL (Above Ground Level) the descending airliner responded to cockpit control inputs and ceased its descent and began its GO AROUND !

Had these evasive actions not happened in time, this could have been the worst air disaster in all of history resulting in one airplane's collision with MULTIPLE airliners on the ground.

Here is a worthy article for your reading and education....

NTSB: Air Canada close-call at SFO was even worse than first reported

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/...ally-flew-over-plane-before-aborting-landing/

Thank God this is now only an incident and not a catastrophe.
You just described the worst air accident on record. I think it was two 747's. One landed at the same time as one taking off. It was a long time ago. On May 1977, at the Tenerife airport, Canary Islands. 583 dead, 61 survivors.

Poccur

The black smoke on the B52s was the water injectors...cools the combustion stream so it makes more smoke ...but the upside is it adds mass to the exhaust so it gains thrust

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks