• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

Another Ahab

That's why is said what if both. I know Elon Musk is alive, too bad Howard isn't.
Don't you worry none. He'll be back! "He" is in a deep-freeze somewhere around here.

But first "he" needs his people (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) to figure out how to bring him back with a slow thaw.

:mrgreen:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't you worry none. He'll be back! "He" is in a deep-freeze somewhere around here.

But first "he" needs his people (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) to figure out how to bring him back with a slow thaw.

:mrgreen:
When that happens, I think he'll have a cow when he sees what Elon's been up to

Another Ahab

Thank you, I get it now:

- The engine itself is not reversed (all of a sudden, was wondering how that could work without blowing up all the rotating parts)

- But the engine thrust is redirected, THAT is the method.

Very cool!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does "full-reverse thrust" work without blowing apart the whole turbine fan assembly?!
Ahab,
That is an excellent technical question deserving of a sound explanation.

While I could compose something of reasonable quality, I am both too tired and presently lack the confidence to make my answer adequate. Hence, I will do for you what I so often advise to others.....

GOOGLE is our friend! Here's a pretty darn good lesson to fulfill your curiosity...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust_reversal

In short, the rotation of the turbine is not reversed, but the thrust duct by which the "wind" exits the tail cone of the engine is reconfigured to redirect the thrust forward for a reversing effect.

PERSONAL NOTE:

The video featured on that WIKI page (right hand column) happens to be a Mitsubishi Diamond Jet (later built as the BeechJet). Watch that video.
I worked in the engineering department of Mitsubishi here in San Angelo Texas (1979-1986) during which time-frame that thrust reverser system was adapted to our jet product line as an option. My responsibilities included the control circuits in both the cockpit and the nacelles (engine cowling) for that very system shown in the video.
That's some of my design work you're watching in action!!!

COOL - had it not been for your question, I would not have known that video existed online!!!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2019-10-02 Chinook overflight @ our LZ

Late Wednesday afternoon I heard the distinctive thump-thump-thumping of a Chinook about to pass over our home. I stepped out in time to catch a couple of quick pics on my phone. I'm also including zoomed screenshots of those pics.

IMG_8390.jpg Zoomed in ---> Screenshot (7).jpg

IMG_8391.jpg Zoomed in ---> Screenshot (6).jpg

I should mention that we are 7 miles out from the threshold of the Mathis Field (San Angelo Regional Airport) runway, so overflights on approach are commonplace. Approaching Heavy Helo's are NOT common though.

So then, let's fast forward to last night - Thursday. Dianna and I returned from a meeting, fed the dogs and cats, and realized we were hearing SEVERAL large prop-driven aircraft on approach. I stepped out the back door again (without the phone) and saw the last of FOUR C-130's heading inbound Mathis Field. I could plainly see the last plane, and the lights of three in front of it. I believe there was a FIFTH ahead of them all, by the sounds we had heard, but it was most likely behinnd the neighborhood trees by the time I was outdoors.
I'm sure they wear training for mission readiness since the spacing between the four I saw was about 1-mile separation, gear still UP at the 7-mile mark and flying low and slow.

Anywaze...... two fun sightings in two days! I'm on a roll !

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI...

There are tons of videos on YouTube showing several different Thrust Reversing Technologies. Check 'em out!

One of those videos even describes what happens if the Thrust Reverser(s) is/are deployed IN FLIGHT. :shock: :doh: . . . . . :usafss:

With that in mind, go back and view the C-17 segment of this video..... (Time Tick: 1:16 - 1:43 of the video)

Watch as the C-17's main landing gear touches down. This action closes the "WEIGHT ON WHEELS" switch(es) which in turn triggers the actuation of the Thrust Reversers (set in flight in the landing procedure). You can see that the C-17 uses the "sliding cowling" or "sliding nacelle sleeve" type design to alter the flow of the thrust toward the forward direction, thus producing the "braking" effect, followed by the aircraft "backing up" on the runway.

You can see the nacelle "open" or "slide" as evidenced by the appearance of, and widening of the WHITE BAND on the engine nacelles upon main landing gear touchdown.

Tracer did well in introducing the BLOWN FLAP TECHNOLOGY topic here. But it should be noted that the BLOWN FLAP TECHNOLOGY only contributes substantially to LIFT (and minimally to "braking") and is not the power/thrust redirecting aerodynamic powerhouse of REVERSING THRUST. Although these technologies ARE somewhat complimentary in that the BLOWN FLAPS help reduce forward movement inducing forces, it is the Thrust Reversal effect that truly SLOWS and ultimately "backs up" the aircraft once it is on the ground.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks