• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmm..do you like low flying aircraft?....then here ya go!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chaplain, it's a Bristol Britannia. Canadair made a freighter version the CL-44 that had a hinged aft fuselage for cargo loading. Flying Tigers operated this type of aircraft out of LAX back in the early 60s.View attachment 787921
Thank you. Asking was easier than me Googling and Googling until I became dizzy.

That's quite a bird!

Another Ahab

Flying over the sea is even better, when an engine pulls back it is because you let that prop hit the water.

While in the Seabees, our battalion had a deployment to NAS Rossevelt Roads in Puerto Rico, the Navy flew us down in C-130's from Andrews AFB in MD, and about half-way there our ship had an engine fire.

Pilot killed the fire, feathered the prop, and took us down right on top of the deck (or at least it sure felt like it). No explanation (until we touched down), apparently gave us better lift that way.

The West-by-God Virginians in the unit were absolutely losing it, I don't think ANY of those guys had ever flown before, and THAT was their first flying experience. Skimming ocean waves in a crippled Hercules. They were NOT liking it a whole lot!!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here, I "appropiated this" from that knowledgable internet guy.

Induced drag is less when one takes a C130 down low. Wingspan is 132' so somewhere down low at 60-70 feet she will get more efficient.
When an aircraft flies at a ground level approximately at or below the half length of the aircraft's wingspan there occurs, depending on airfoil and aircraft design, an often noticeable ground effect.
This is caused primarily by the ground interrupting the wingtip vortices and downwash behind the wing. When a wing is flown very close to the ground, wingtip vortices are unable to form effectively due to the obstruction of the ground. The result is lower induced drag, which increases the speed and lift of the aircraft.

A wing generates lift by deflecting the oncoming airmass (relative wind) downward. The deflected or "turned" flow of air creates a resultant force on the wing in the opposite direction (Newton's 3rd law). The resultant force is identified as lift.

Flying close to a surface increases air pressure on the lower wing surface, nicknamed the "ram" or "cushion" effect, and thereby improves the aircraft lift-to-drag ratio. The lower/nearer the wing is with regards to the ground, the more pronounced the ground effect becomes.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Here, I "appropiated this" from that knowledgable internet guy.

Induced drag is less when one takes a C130 down low. Wingspan is 132' so somewhere down low at 60-70 feet she will get more efficient.
When an aircraft flies at a ground level approximately at or below the half length of the aircraft's wingspan there occurs, depending on airfoil and aircraft design, an often noticeable ground effect.
Well, I guess tht was it then:

- We were booking along over the Atlantic about 60 above the water. It felt like we were REAL close, and I guess we were!

I just kept eyeballing the Loadmaster. As long as he didn't seem concerned I figured we were okay.

It was so LOUD inside that thing that you couldn't talk to anybody in the hold. So I just kept my eye on the Loadmaster! He never batted an eye.

But I'm teling you those West Virginians (especially a guy named Odin), they were NOT liking all that at all.

Another Ahab

This airshow was at Mira Mar in 2008. This is a Low Pass by a rare 747SP. The SP is a short 747 with a tall vertical stabilizer. It was designed to compete against the DC-10 and L-1011, it didn't sell well and only 50 were built.
Stumpy looking airframe, kind of brings to mind a bobbed deuce and that whole stubby look.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This airshow was at Mira Mar in 2008. This is a Low Pass by a rare 747SP. The SP is a short 747 with a tall vertical stabilizer. It was designed to compete against the DC-10 and L-1011, it didn't sell well and only 50 were built.
Gotta love the announcer's enthusiasm. A mixture of the dramatic and paid sponsorship plugs... rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks