• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV A2 Project

hummer4x4guy

Ted I would stay away from CTIS also... all the Hummer guys (well many of them) complain all the time bout em...
Elwenil there is a Hummer on humvee.net that has the full driveline from a 2005? Dodge ram. John is his name from the Columbus ohio area..
joel

dilvoy

There are two solid type 8 groove serpentine pulleys that I'm aware of. I don't have them in front of me right this second, but one spaces the rear of the belt about 3/4" forward of the alt face. This I call the 200 amp alt 8 groove pulley and is used with the big "S" shaped bracket that holds the alt and P/S pump. The other 8 groove pulley spaces the rear of the belt about 1/4" +/- forward of the alt face. I call this the 8 groove 100 amp alt pulley. I don't know what bracket is used to hold the alt in place when this pulley is used, but my guess is the same one that holds the 60 amp alt.
My opinion is that CTIS is for the birds. It was a much crowed about feature when the Humvee was being hocked to the Gov and that's why I think it is so wanted by people. I don't live in snow country so I don't have any remote need for it and If I have to air down to go through some mud, I shurley don't want to hit the highway without checking the sidewalls of my tires, like would probably happen with CTIS. I do miss seeing all of the 5 ton trucks at the National Guard parking lots with flat tires. I wonder why AMG tied both rear wheels together and both front wheels together. I dosen't make sense as it would be bad for the T case if the rolling diameter of the tires was different from front to back. I guess they must have known that there were going to be flat tires and two flats are better than four.

ElkyRacer

The CTIS is worthless yes, but the A2 hubs have bigger imput shaft splines and bigger CV axles. They changed a few of the other things in the hubs to bring the GVW capacity up from what the 998s were. Ive got a bunch of pictures on my other computer of the A1 vs A2 hubs Ill see if I can dig them up.

Kyle

TedG

Thanks for the input on CTIS! My only thought was for the truck to have the hubs setup for CTIS but not install it. Configured this way would make it more correct...I will take this offroad but not stump jumping and dune climbing (yes even here in MI there are large forests and sand dunes!). ;)

Dilvoy, I have the big 200amp bracket and the 100amp fits it. Your statement on the pulleys is exactly what I am finding. I must have the 200amp pulley so therefore I need the 100amp pulley. Trade anyone? Also I will try to get you some of the information on parts you emailed me about...ss line and braces.

Kyle, any pictures is helpful! Post away!

Elwenil, I drive a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins 24v TD and the drive has been very reliable. 74K and no worries!

TedG

Well, in between work and travels, I am slowly digging into this beast. I discovered that I will have to review all work done on the frame due to some inconsistencies: missing exhaust doughnut after turbo, a few bolts in upside down, etc. It is amazing the differences between this A2 wanna be and my M1037. However, it is nice to have another rig as reference for some assemblies. The books, and I have a lot (hard copy and cd), only show so much...

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but perhaps after weekend I have some results to show.

Regards

ElkyRacer

Ted, if you have any questions just shoot me a PM, Ive worked on just about every variation of the HMMWVs out there right now, and have built them from ground up as well.

Kyle

TedG

Here are somemore things that have been done to the project:
frame extensions added, radiator mount extension added and the new style radiator support brackets added. Plus a serpentine belt diagram :shock:

Attachments

Dieselsmoke

Elwenil said:
Nice project. About the only way I would take a HMMWV to rebuild is if I could get one that was mostly complete but missing the drivetrain. I would have to erase any GM parts from the vehicle and go with a Mopar drivetrain. I wonder if there is room for a 6BT in there? Lol...
Been done more than once. http://flashoffroad.com/features/CumminsDiesel/cummins.htm
He did this back in like '02, was a lot of fab work.

TedG

Well work has gotten in the way of fun again but this weekend I finally got to look over and document some more things (manuals are vague). Anyway, Joel G stop over and snapped these pictures. Question, does the remote power steering cooling radiator required since the oil/tran/t-case has an extra loop for power steering? I am thinking not but would like to know for sure. Also, the green u-shaped braket allows the cooling stack to raise/lower for adjustment around the fan with black rad bracket (picture shows old style vs new style). Lastly, the a2 prop has a larger bolt pattern than older versions, so now I have to locate a hydraulic fan clutch...anyone?

Enjoy the pictures.

DSO_351,
The inner sway twist bracket is shown in the manual dated 1999...I like it there anyway due to seeing some failures of the front crossmember to lower a-frame pivot point.

dannymoz71,
I have some manuals but anything dated in this century would be nice!!! PM me if you wish to discuss.

Attachments

ElkyRacer

Lastly, the a2 prop has a larger bolt pattern than older versions, so now I have to locate a hydraulic fan clutch...anyone?
Not sure what you are talking about here? Fan? If so, the A1 and the A2 fans should have the same bolt pattern, just more fan blades, and reversed pitch for the serpentine setup.

Kyle

TedG

Elkyracer,

I forget to post this picture. The new fan is the A2 with reverse pitch and the bolt hole pattern is larger. Therefore, I need to locate a hydraulic clutch for the new setup as well as the belt.

With some good peoples help, it is slowly but surely it coming together!

Attachments

TedG

Well I might have a belt sourced for the new remote reservoir pump system!

NSN 3030-01-488-5606 AMG#1246 9149-3 29 12/25 millimeters wide, 8 groove, 112.2"

The other shorter A2 belt AMG# is 1246 9149-1 is around 99" long.

Big honkin belts! :shock:

Now on to the hydraulic clutch, military waste gate actuator, oil fittings and then I am a lot closer to firing it up!!!

TedG

Well I set the air intake snout on connected a few lines and then my mud flaps arrived! Even though I will repaint them, it is nice to get on the truck so I don't trip over them later.

Later!

Attachments

Bart

Superb pics of a Superb truck Ted !!
question: you prefer the MT tyres...??, I love the " looks" of the RT 's.
can't wait for the final pics.
mine M 1046 is ready according to my guys in Memphis...awaiting pics so I can send in a 20 ft container to ship her to Holland.
CU
bart

TedG

Thanks Bart for comps!

I strongly recommend that you send your refurbished hmmwv to my location for pre-shipping testing! :lol: I have access to: clay, muck, water, sand, gravel, and asphalt! I would even provide this service free of charge 8) .

I run the radials on all my hmmwvs due to hwy driving (larger diameter means a little faster speed and the stock 6.2 needs all the help it can get, just ask Joel) and ride nicer. There is nothing wrong with bias off road but are not suited best for hwy driving (my .02cents).

On my project, I just located the A2 fan prop! It should be in next week. Getting closer to firing date!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks