• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV A2 Project

TedG

Hi Sean and thanks.

More than happy to! I have several clients in Morgan Hill-Gilroy and am usually out there every other month.

Again, it is too cold to work in the shop tonight.

TedG

Well the weather finally warmed up and I felt like working in the shop the last few days and I got a LOT accomplished! I finished connecting all electrical under the dash and engine compartment, installed instrument cluster, connected the vent tubes. With the drivers seat not installed, under the dash work went quite well. I then proceeded to install all for high back seats and sat in the drivers seat the first time! Starting to look like a truck now! Underneath, I installed the fuel tank and rear drive shaft. Very close tolerances to say the least.

On the home stretch: bleed brakes, top off ALL fluids, install batteries, prime engine and see what happens! It will either start nor not start!

Enjoy...sorry for the picts being blurry again...keep leaving my real camera at work.

Attachments

ida34

This was supposed to be the easy project for last winter, right? Looks good. Will you have it started by the time I visit on Friday?

TedG

Unlikely at this time Chuck, due to increasing work load...but you never know! If it is not started, I'll still let you sit in the driver's seat! lol

Last edited:

hummer4x4guy

Ted that looks really great! I like the old man look of the seats with the plastic covers on em.
Hope to give ya a hand soon on it sometime when I get back to Lansing.

Joel

dilvoy

Hey Ted, What PCB are you using? Since there is some difference in the Engine Wire Harness between the N/A A2 and the Turbo equiped Humvees, there must be something different in the wiring that passes into the PCB. The correct PCB for the M1113 is the one shown below. I think the M1114 is the same inside, but with different mounting stud design.

Attachments

TedG

Chuck stopped by and sat in the drivers seat today! He said that during DS1, they did not have such nice seats! Good seeing ya Chuck and thanks for making my property lighter!

Last night I bled the brakes (found loose fittings which caused the silcone to find the floor), topped off all fluids, wired battery box and installed batteries (stole them from my M35A2C), and the engine cranks (test), all electrical systems are go.

Joel, as discussed I have obtained the final "part" to get fuel in the tank. With luck we should have all systems go for increasing my carbon footprint! Perhaps I can record it and post...never done that before so that should be fun.

George, I am running the Yellow Label set up. The engine came with a Yellow GPC and I have a new control box. The turbo wire harness I have is also set up for this (I would call "standard"). I heard/seen the new control boxes but have not obtained one yet. Are you going to run this new setup?

No pictures...sorry.

Last edited:

ida34

Yes. I have anointed the driver's seat with my buttocks. Very nice. I do feel like I was cheated. The only real comfortable seat at the time came in a HEMTT. I almost forgot. The cucv's were really nice but we did not have any in my unit. Now all the vehicles seem to have nice form fitting high back buckets. Our Humvee seats were little more than a square padded cushion.

Last edited:

TedG

IT RUNS!!! Here are two mov's: first one right after I got it fired and check it over. The other is around 10 minutes into the warmup. VERY COOL sound when at 6.5 Turbo Diesel come to life!

Today was spent tracking down small leaks: injector over flow tube had pin hole, tranny cooling loop clamp, fuel filter housing (still tracking that down) and anything else that pops up.

Thank you Mike for allowing mov files!...click on the file to operate.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

hummer4x4guy

Ya all should hear it in person much more civil sounding. The smell of the diesel is nice too.
I never thought this time would come so soon Ted...or that it took this long for you to get to this point. :)

TedG

Yes, it took awhile but now I am on the downward slope of having it be a moving truck! I fixed some more pesky leaks and I fitted the rear doors and one front door. These are the military half doors that I am using (made the front piece) for when I install the open top H turret! I can't wait to take her down the road!

Enjoy!

Attachments

Jetnoise400

Fantastic Ted! Looking and sounding excellent!!! Congrats on getting this far. I've really enjoyed watching you work on your project, as I can't start on mine for a while.:not worthy:

TedG

Hi Sean and thanks. It has been a fun project thus far.

It finally got above freezing which gave me an opportunity to rearrange my shop. In order to rearrange, I had to move the new hmmwv (good excuse anyway). So I drove in the winter white sand of MI! Still shaking it out but it is a runner!

Enjoy! Again, just click on the file to run video...

Attachments

TedG

Warmed up enough to dig out the H-turret in the other barn and set it on. I have not drilled holes yet to permanently mount it. I like the open turret but I also would like to drive the drive with a top, so I am test fitting a four-man soft top over the turret assembly. If I like it, I will fab up some nice brackets to allow the 4 man top to secure to. If not, then I might remove the H-turret and go with the 4 man top. Regardless, the truck looks pretty good with H-turret!

I also have obtained the correct dash with the air restrictor gauge bracket! So the other dash assembly will get removed and I will install the new one!

CARC time is coming!

Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks