• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV A2 Project

TedG

Well I got to play for a few hours last night on the tub. I cut a 6.3" x 7" hole in the tub for the fuel tank sending unit access cover. I used a sawzall and it worked quite nicely. Then I dynamat'd the cover, installed nutserts and bolted into place. One step closer to setting tub!

Things still to do:
Move cooling stack forward with shims so propellor does not interfere with shroud.
Install brake limiting valves and finish piping brake system.
Replace new exhaust system with newer "exhaust system".
Finish electrical connections under the tub and engine compartment.
Cross fingers.

Enjoy the only two pictures...

Attachments

defective4x4_1

dont know if your still lookingfor parts but i am coming across a windshield frame,frame only no glass and the bows that go across.I am getting tomorrow and i will post pics.Let me know if interested.Thanx

TedG

defective4x4, thanks for the offer but I have way too many parts in barns...

Well, I was home for a week, did my honey-do's and then into the shop I went. :D I got a LOT accomplished. :shock: I changed out the new exhaust for a resonator, installed the 0.5" lift block with the body mounts, prepped the brake system (need some more parts there) and then test fit the body. Talk about shoe-horn fit! I call this a test fit because I am checking what areas need to be address with the tub off so that I do not miss anything. I found that I do need to notch the tub deck for clearance on the left side for the turbo cover...I was hoping I would not have to :oops: ...with a bigger lift (2") then would not be an issue. With the gantry, removal/install of tub is a one man show. I then had Joel help me put the hood on. Now she is taking shape! I like the front view of the ECV 8)

I am very happy with the additional floor space now! Winter is coming and I needed to move the hmmwv into the line of fire from the heater and under the better lights. :D

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

TedG

Thanks Rod for the kind remarks! MV building is my golf! I can't wait to fire the beast & adjust the ip & wastegate with the pyro's! Driving it should be fun as well.

85-m1028

is the trans controler 12v or 24v on that set up? I have the same drivetrain but it's from a civy h-1 and its all electronic fuel system with integrated ecu.

I want to convert it to a mechanical IP but I think I need the stand alone trans controler?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
85, your drivetrain probably does have the 4L80E. If it does you would need the stand alone computer for it. When you start to look for a puter, inquire about a reluctor ring in the tranny. I'm told these are required and that many 4x4 applications don't have them. I've no documentation of this, just what I'm told.

TedG

the tranny control
module, tcm, is 12vdc. different programs are inserted for different years of 4l80e. if you have a civi turbo waste gate, vacuum type, then that needs to be change
to a mechanical one...not sold separately from turbo...get a predator manually set waste gate control & put pyros in to fine turn system. i'm gng measure factory readings & then change to the predator system for more hp.
gotta go, plane is leaving!

TedG

I got in some brake bracket parts and preassembled the limiting valves and regulators. I know this fits inbetween the lift bracket, the alternator and the master cylinder...but wow what a tight fit! This will be installed when the tub comes back off for final fitting...another month or so. I made a list of things to finalize prior to final tub setting and it is quite long!

This assembly attaches to the left side radiator support stud and is not shown in the manuals very well. It took a lot of digging and comparing part numbers to find the brackets required. There are 3 pieces that make up the bracket assembly.

Enjoy.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm used to seeing the HMMWVs with the one-piece hoods, where the grille is part of the hood. What variant is this? I see the grille is separate from the hood.

TedG

It is an ECV, expanded capacity vehicle, variant. Some call it an A2 and without the armor it is similar to the M1114. Besides having a 6.5td, 4spd, it has a much larger cooling stack (radiator, oil cooler, ps cooler and driveline cooler). The grill had to be extended to allow for the additional size.

TedG

Hi George, I'll try.

The master cylinder applies brake pressure, front & rear, to the hydraulic cylinder {green item}, then the lines connect to their respective limiting valves {anti-lock brakes simulator, the round thingy's}. The limiting valves then send the pressure to the regulator which sends the pressure to front & rear brakes.
see 387-24P figures 126&127

Make sense? So really there is still one regulator. the other item is a component of the limiting valves. lots of plumbing, eh?

dilvoy

So the second (silver) Proportioning valve may not be used as one but as a handy coupling for the lines that exit the anti lock devices to attach to the brake lines that go to their respective axles.

TedG

Pehaps George, they have different part numbers so at this time I don't know. I'll either blow through a stop sign or get thrown through the windsheild! lol

I am organizing the parts to finish the assembly and off the tub goes for a few weeks (winter is coming, 24F this morning, and I would rather work on warm concrete than cold)...then final setting shall occur!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks