• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV A2 Project

Bart

TedG said:
Well I took a half day and finished up working on the dynamat. I did the entire tunnel area front to rear. I hope she is quiet as I tool down the road at highway speeds. I then covered the dynamat with the factory insulation (sorry for the blurry picts). Then I fixed the tcm/tiss/toss/etc harness to tub.

Also, I received my Ibistek tow bar made specifically for the hmwwv! Sweet and it only weighs 60 punds...no more medium towbar or feet!

Thanks Bart and stop by the next time you visit the States. Also, on my next trip over the pond to the Nederlands, I will stop by!

Regards
Thanks Bart and stop by the next time you visit the States. Also, on my next trip over the pond to the Nederlands, I will stop by! ANYTIME Mate !!. stay in toutch !!!
Humvee's ROCK!!! :wink:

TedG

Hi Bart,

That is Dilvoy's engine...one of the guru's I tap for information...even though that is a civi intake (sorry Dilvoy!).

Last night was spent installing the tranny and t/case lock lights in the tub. A lot of prep work, a little drilling and wa la, they are in! I also marked the area around the deck required for more exhaust flange clearance for the turbo assembly. Very tight fit, infact the 6.5td is pretty much shoe-horned into the hmmwv.

Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

Bart

TedG said:
Hi Bart,

That is Dilvoy's engine...one of the guru's I tap for information...even though that is a civi intake (sorry Dilvoy!).

Last night was spent installing the tranny and t/case lock lights in the tub. A lot of prep work, a little drilling and wa la, they are in! I also marked the area around the deck required for more exhaust flange clearance for the turbo assembly. Very tight fit, infact the 6.5td is pretty much shoe-horned into the hmmwv.

Enjoy the pictures.
AHA...Ted....I thought knew all about this engine/ advertiser.
thanks for the update/ pictures. !!

dilvoy

Hi Ted, Your insulation job looks good, so good in fact that I'm going to copy you! If you don't mind being not Military Original on the underside of your humvee, you can buy from AMG, a boot cover that goes on just after the rubber boot for the shifter and before the assy is attached to the body. This boot is made of a silver color material, that looks like a fire suit or glove. It keeps heat that is rising from the exhaust from heating up the shifter mech and probably the interior of the vehicle as well. I think It was used on '98 and up Hummers.

TedG

Thanks George, I have seen that style of boot on the m1156 but not gotten around to obtaining one. Tow bar is awesome!

I am going to cut the deck for the turbo clearance this weekend!

TedG

I did some tub cutting to make room for the turbo outlet flange, installed my e-brake cables/rod, and then prep the aux power in the right rear seat. Also located there is the tranny relay and circuit breaker (I need to get the correct cb). I also installed the rear fender brackets that were missing from this tub... I am getting closer and closer to setting the tub!!!

Enjoy...

Attachments

TedG

I finished dynamating the forward area and have installed the factory insulation on the passenger side. I am now working fitting the ducting to the a-pillar above the dog house area. Inside the a-pillar is the wiring for the heater and wiper motor (both secured with clamps), flexible ducting from the heater to the drivers side and foam insulation. I need to modify the metal ducting (for defrost air) bracket from rear facing to vertical so that the duct attaches properly. I will also start attaching the fuel filter assembly, dwf valve and then button up the dash (easier said then done!).

Enjoy.

Attachments

TedG

I have been really slammed at work, thankfully, so I have not done much to the truck. I did get about 3 hours in last weekend to test fit the heater assembly and cut holes into the fire wall for allowing the floor heating duct to fit. On early version, floor heat duct was located just below the windshield. Now it is located under the windshield infront of the dog house. Anyway, nothing like cutting big holes into a nice tub! Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

TedG

Yes it should be a cozy 70mph ride! A few more hours spent on the ducting and now the radio tray installation. I am trying to prefit/install everything prior to tub setting. Once the tub is shoe-horned on, there is very little room in the tunnel to work on things without dropping the driveline components. Not something I want to do!

Next will be the dash components, fuel filter housing, dwf plumbing and engine side firewall components.

Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

TedG

Well the summer has been fun; bought a M185A3, built a new storage barn, and bought a bunch of stuff, so now it is back to work on the hmmwv project. I have obtained some parts so that I could work on the fuel tank, the brake lines and electrical. This is the final prep prior to setting the tub. The fuel tank I had is a new old style, so I purchase a new style one that allows for drive shaft shield to be mounted. Now I can set the tank and mark the hole in the tub's tunnel. This hole is the access area to the sending unit without dropping the tank. From reading, you measure many times, mark once and cut once! :) I also obtained the brake pressure limiting valves! Now I just need one more bracket and the brakes can be done!!!

I read on other forum what HMMWV stands for:
High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle :) but they are fun to drive!

Anyway, enjoy the pictures...

Attachments

hummer4x4guy

Looking good G-man! I am sure if I was doing this id half ass it at times just cause I would be in such a hurry to finish it. Glad to see ya have patience.

Joel

TedG

Thanks Chris and Joel,

My definition of pressure limiting valves is: the military's version of anti-lock brakes. If you press very hard on the brake peddle, these will start to pulse based upon the over pressure thus reducing brake locking. One is for the front and the other is for the rear. I can't wait to check them out!

I got another fuel tank strap in so I am about ready to set the tank, mark the access hole and cut the tub! :)

No pictures today....

Armada

Coming along nicely Ted! So with all of the rain we had this weekend I bet you spent your time in the garage wrenching, unless you were away on business. Any more updates? Is the tank mounted now?

TedG

Hi Paul,

Rain, you mean Hurricane/TS Ike, he dumped 7.5" at my house and about 20% of my shop floor was a pond and I have a 33 acre lake in my field. Nothing damaged in the shop though. So unfortunately I did not work on the A2 truck. I did manage to drain the rr hub on the M998, flush and refill! Also replaced the center snubber on the hood getting it ready for Grayling (I hope my travels work out). I then sold and loaded up two 6.5td engines, 7 tires and some other stuff to a couple of friends on Saturday...in the rain. I also closed my swimming pool yesterday in the rain...I will never do that again. You going to Grayling and riding shot gun?

dilvoy

Hi Ted, I am working on my Humvee in the area of the driver's position and most specifically the footwell area and noticed that your through body Grommet for the main wire harness is not installed the same as mine originally was. The square part of the grommet was on the engine side along with the split steel plate that gives the grommet support. I don't know which way is better or if they have changed how they install this now, but that's how mine was and How I'm going to put it back in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks