• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV Insurance help please

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it doesn't show up in their computers, ask about insuring it for a declared value.
I did that with progressive and he came back with it needs to be registered. I don’t think I have ever had to provide a registration for any vehicle I have ever insured. I have bought stuff out of state and got insurance on it right then and it wasn’t registered. My Harleys were not registered for 6 months after I had insurance. I think I got bad information from progressive and he isn’t familiar with the process. I did call State Farm back and told him to send it to a different under righted and explained to him that it was a military vehicle but it has been demilitarized for civilian use. At least that’s how I understand it.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
My M151A2, M221 and Humvee are all through Hagerty. No issues, no hassle. Process was quick and printed off insurance cards within 1/2 hour of phone call.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went through this on a 1988 M998. American Family could not insure it. Their system and unwriting department said if the title doesn't show 17 digits, it's a no-go. My agent went to Progressive, and progressive just needs proof of an 'on-road legal' title, and then no problem. They don't care about VIN length, as long as they have proof it's legal to drive.

(Liability only, rural, 4000 mile a year limit. $90 every 6 months.)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great… got moved so now the answers will stop. Seems like Hmmwv insurance should belong in the Hmmwv section because this has nothing to do with any other vehicle…. To lump all the
insurance needs into one area that sees no visitors doesn’t make any sense.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great… got moved so now the answers will stop. Seems like Hmmwv insurance should belong in the Hmmwv section because this has nothing to do with any other vehicle…. To lump all the
Yeah. Almost, but if everybody isn't interested in insurance you might get no replies.

I was going to post my opinion about insurance, but you got 28 responses in less than 12 hours.
That is pretty darn good!

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah. Almost, but if everybody isn't interested in insurance you might get no replies.

I was going to post my opinion about insurance, but you got 28 responses in less than 12 hours.
That is pretty darn good!
And that’s the problem with it. Hmmwv insurance is only about Hmmwv… I would have maybe 2 replies by now and I really need help and I can’t get it there. no offense because I appreciate anyone that’s trying to be helpful but I’m not trying to insure a tank or airplane or ferrite. 95% of the people that have their Humvee’s insured will never go look there for someone needing help. I think it needs to change because we are here to learn share and help and to move your thread to a place that you can’t do anything like that isn’t helpful. You move it for what reason? Because that’s where we keep all the insurance!!! Lol

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn’t the goal here to have the most civil interaction and generate more information and participation? Or is the goal to move threads where they get the least help and minimal participation and problems are solved before you ever get a reply? This thread is the perfect example to look at to make a change. Compare to the insurance posts in the proper place… if we were talking about where to get my Prius or corvette insured that location would make more sense. I vented and I feel better just like my therapist told me to do. Apologies for my rant because I forgot to count to ten first…

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Isn’t the goal here to have the most civil interaction and generate more information and participation? Or is the goal to move threads where they get the least help and minimal participation and problems are solved before you ever get a reply? This thread is the perfect example to look at to make a change. Compare to the insurance posts in the proper place… if we were talking about where to get my Prius or corvette insured that location would make more sense. I vented and I feel better just like my therapist told me to do. Apologies for my rant because I forgot to count to ten first…
Don't tell anybody, but I think it will be just fine.

Yep, Insurance is a major PITA from just about every angle. I had perfectly good insurance. They decided I wasn't their type of customer and was on a measured mile with them. No claims, just not the business they wanted to be in. At expiration I would be cancelled. So I went to State Farm and they wrote the historical and present day stuff all on one policy for less than I was paying before - and I added one more truck to the policy!

I didn't know I was unhappy until they told me I was. :cool: My new guy used to be the manager for where I was insured. Experience means everything. It has everything to do with the Agent. I had called State Farm when I started looking and got a flat NO when I started calling about a year ago.

What I have discovered with insurance on these MV's is that if you don't like the first answer you get - don't hesitate to say thanks, no and hang up. There are agents who know how to write things more reasonably. They can be helpful or be like a bad experience at WalMart.

Customer Service means everything in the insurance business.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't tell anybody, but I think it will be just fine.

Yep, Insurance is a major PITA from just about every angle. I had perfectly good insurance. They decided I wasn't their type of customer and was on a measured mile with them. No claims, just not the business they wanted to be in. At expiration I would be cancelled. So I went to State Farm and they wrote the historical and present day stuff all on one policy for less than I was paying before - and I added one more truck to the policy!

I didn't know I was unhappy until they told me I was. :cool: My new guy used to be the manager for where I was insured. Experience means everything. It has everything to do with the Agent. I had called State Farm when I started looking and got a flat NO when I started calling about a year ago.

What I have discovered with insurance on these MV's is that if you don't like the first answer you get - don't hesitate to say thanks, no and hang up. There are agents who know how to write things more reasonably. They can be helpful or be like a bad experience at WalMart.

Customer Service means everything in the insurance business.
See I’m with State Farm for like 11 years and never had a ticket or a claim, well other than when the preacher was screwing the hockey player and fell off the roof. That was not my fault and I even warned them not to wear skates and golf shoes on a tile roof! Hahaha

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your lucky there is a insurance thread at all , it was a banned subject on here until a couple years ago . It isn't HMMWV's that are different EVERY STATE
is different .

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your lucky there is a insurance thread at all , it was a banned subject on here until a couple years ago . It isn't HMMWV's that are different EVERY STATE
is different .
Hahaha.. that’s funny right there. Don’t talk about insurance it’s the Devil. I’m sure that rates differ from state to state and even cities and towns within each state but I’m pretty sure that the vehicle you can get insured in Florida will be able to be insured in all 54 states… lol the dems get that done yet?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you get the insurance squared away, be prepared for a battle with NV DMV...they don’t like to register HMMWVs and I know several Vegas locals who are still fighting with NV DMV to register their HMMWVs with ON-road legal titles. They’re probably going to tell you that yours can only be registered as an off-highway vehicle, due to the infamous letter from AM-General (circa 2015-ish).

Good luck.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you get the insurance squared away, be prepared for a battle with NV DMV...they don’t like to register HMMWVs and I know several Vegas locals who are still fighting with NV DMV to register their HMMWVs with ON-road legal titles. They’re probably going to tell you that yours can only be registered as an off-highway vehicle, due to the infamous letter from AM-General (circa 2015-ish).

Good luck.
That’s what I have been curious about for a long time. I can build a car in my garage out of junk parts and weld up a frame put any engine in it I want and I can get it registered here with ease. I just shake my head because I don’t have any answers as to why they are willing to look the other way on somethings and so firm on others.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hahaha.. that’s funny right there. Don’t talk about insurance it’s the Devil. I’m sure that rates differ from state to state and even cities and towns within each state but I’m pretty sure that the vehicle you can get insured in Florida will be able to be insured in all 54 states… lol the dems get that done yet?
Sigh....insurance discussions were banned from the site because of too much misinformation and in some cases mentions of doing things illegally. A separate forum was created for military vehicle insurance discussions.

Bringing up a political party and discussing that is still not permitted.

Bottom line is that if you have a former military vehicle and you have questions about insurance they go in this forum and not in the one for HMMWVs.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That’s what I have been curious about for a long time. I can build a car in my garage out of junk parts and weld up a frame put any engine in it I want and I can get it registered here with ease. I just shake my head because I don’t have any answers as to why they are willing to look the other way on somethings and so firm on others.
There is no reasoning with it. IT is the government.

Amazing how "You are the government" is what they say when they want something.
NO, you can't do that is when they pull out their big book of rules. Real Official or Imagined...

Don't hesitate to fight them tooth and nail.
Quite often a small town DMV office is more cooperative than a big city one.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sigh....insurance discussions were banned from the site because of too much misinformation and in some cases mentions of doing things illegally. A separate forum was created for military vehicle insurance discussions.

Bringing up a political party and discussing that is still not permitted.

Bottom line is that if you have a former military vehicle and you have questions about insurance they go in this forum and not in the one for HMMWVs.
I understand, but I don’t understand why it belongs in a place where you can’t get any help. Might as well ask the question on the Tesla forum. Why can’t Hmmwv insurance be a sticky? I bet more are insured than have grounding harnesses. I apologize for being uptight but I have a lot of money sitting in the driveway without insurance and I don’t have months to get help and answers and hope that a Hmmwv owner decides to see what’s going on in the world of insurance. Thank you for your time explaining it to me. I don’t understand it even after hearing it but I am great full for an answer and explanation of why.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks