• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV replacement windows...glass or polycarbonate?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's an interesting article about laminated vs tempered glass windows in vehicles:

Good point, BUT you better have a tool specifically designed in your hand when you crash or you will unlikely be able to break the tempered glass, also I doubt the article was about vehicles that had simple sliding windows, I always figured the doors would simply pop off in a serious crash anyway.

Autonomy_Lost

Good point, BUT you better have a tool specifically designed in your hand when you crash or you will unlikely be able to break the tempered glass, also I doubt the article was about vehicles that had simple sliding windows, I always figured the doors would simply pop off in a serious crash anyway.
Or a utility knife to cut through the soft top lol!

Action

You can take your shirt off and wrap around your hand to break tempered glass. The tempering makes it break into lots and lots of tiny pieces.
if you try to get out through a laminated windshield, you will likely have to knock the entire window out. Laminated sticks together when broken.

papakb

Most EMTs and fire departments just use an automatic center punch to break out tempered glass. A cheap trick they learned from car thieves.

Autonomy_Lost

I'm currently waiting on quotes for the glass from 2 local glass shops.

In the mean time I will also need the gaskets. I can't find them anywhere, not even at Mac Motors. I found some generic rubber U-channel on McMaster Carr:

I'm not sure what size I will need, but I should be able to figure it out when my doors show up. If anyone has dimensions on the factory gaskets that would be helpful.

papakb

What thickness glass did you ask for quotes for? Just buy the channel of the same thiclness.

What thickness was your original glass? Go for the same thickness as your original or you might find the new stuff doesn't fit your frames.

Autonomy_Lost

What thickness glass did you ask for quotes for? Just buy the channel of the same thiclness.

What thickness was your original glass? Go for the same thickness as your original or you might find the new stuff doesn't fit your frames.
3/8, but what about the other dimensions like overall thickness and width?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I think he was talking about getting some "universal" channel and needs the actual frame dimensions, he should wait until he gets his doors, that way he will actually see what he is dealing with, the actual glass dimensions are not "even" IIRC, as to say I think one dimension was something like 14-1/16" not 14"

Action

I think he was talking about getting some "universal" channel and needs the actual frame dimensions, he should wait until he gets his doors, that way he will actually see what he is dealing with, the actual glass dimensions are not "even" IIRC, as to say I think one dimension was something like 14-1/16" not 14"
You are correct about the odd size. I think i have a loose one. I will look tomorrow.
The factory seal is thin on the glass edge. If you get generic, you will need to adjust window size.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm currently waiting on quotes for the glass from 2 local glass shops.

In the mean time I will also need the gaskets. I can't find them anywhere, not even at Mac Motors. I found some generic rubber U-channel on McMaster Carr:

I'm not sure what size I will need, but I should be able to figure it out when my doors show up. If anyone has dimensions on the factory gaskets that would be helpful.
You may be thinking you need to replace the window seal when just about everyone re-uses the original, If for some reason you think that will help the rattling or the fact you need to wear a slicker suit when it rains you will be wrong..

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a temporary solution to cover the defect and create a functional closed window just go to Home Despot or Lowers and buy plexiglass and cut to size.
It will last long enough for you to get correct glass

Autonomy_Lost

If anyone is interested, I got one of the quotes back from a glass shop. They quoted $95.70/ea for laminated glass, or $47.12 for tempered glass. Still waiting on a quote from another vendor. You guys think laminated is worth twice the money?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone is interested, I got one of the quotes back from a glass shop. They quoted $95.70/ea for laminated glass, or $47.12 for tempered glass. Still waiting on a quote from another vendor. You guys think laminated is worth twice the money?
Laminated is safer.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
our doors aren't as difficult to remove during an emergency as your average automobile door is (and if the accident is bad enough to cause the body to crumple, the door is't going to be stuck shut), and the windows aren't really large enough to drag someone out of if there is an emergency anyway, so I'd say that being able to break them during an emergency isn't as big of a deal as it is for a civilian car.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not use laminated in side windows unless that was all I could get, tempered would be best and I would certainly not pay more for laminated if I had the choice.
The flip side of laminate is de-laminate

Autonomy_Lost

Everyone makes good points. I think either would be suitable, so I'm leaning toward tempered at half the price. I'm not exactly made of money lol.