• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV replacement windows...glass or polycarbonate?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can take your shirt off and wrap around your hand to break tempered glass. The tempering makes it break into lots and lots of tiny pieces.
if you try to get out through a laminated windshield, you will likely have to knock the entire window out. Laminated sticks together when broken.
It is almost impossible to break tempered glass even with a heavy hammer, funniest thing I ever saw was a guy going to break into a car and the brick bouncing off the glass and knocking him out!
You need something sharp and heavy and you need to get into one of the corners. as stated before an automatic center punch might work as it compounds the force

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Everyone makes good points. I think either would be suitable, so I'm leaning toward tempered at half the price. I'm not exactly made of money lol.
I agree with tempered everywhere except the windshield in front of your face...
If some goofball throws a rock into a piece of laminated glass it might hold together long enough for you to stop safely.

I think most states require safety glass (laminated glass) on the windshield.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is almost impossible to break tempered glass even with a heavy hammer, funniest thing I ever saw was a guy going to break into a car and the brick bouncing off the glass and knocking him out!
You need something sharp and heavy and you need to get into one of the corners. as stated before an automatic center punch might work as it compounds the force
9x19

Autonomy_Lost

If anyone is interested, I got one of the quotes back from a glass shop. They quoted $95.70/ea for laminated glass, or $47.12 for tempered glass. Still waiting on a quote from another vendor. You guys think laminated is worth twice the money?
Got a quote from a second vendor, they quoted $90 for lam, and $45 for tempered, so in the same ballpark.

I finally got my doors today, so I'm going to pull the glass out and get some good measurements before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: 98G

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a quote from a second vendor, they quoted $90 for lam, and $45 for tempered, so in the same ballpark.

I finally got my doors today, so I'm going to pull the glass out and get some good measurements before pulling the trigger.
I would take the glass and the frame to the glass shop and let them tell you what size they need to be. Let them be responsible for it fitting in the frame properly. I think this was already suggested

Reactions: 98G

Autonomy_Lost

I would take the glass and the frame to the glass shop and let them tell you what size they need to be. Let them be responsible for it fitting in the frame properly. I think this was already suggested
Well, two of my frames dont have any gaskets, and I cant find OEM gaskets anywhere. So I'm rigging up something with foam U-channel from McMaster Carr. I'm going to measure everything carefully and make sure it will work before placing the order. Honestly, it seems to me like the frames are pretty forgiving to varying tolerances, and the foam U-channel should allow for some wiggle room.

Autonomy_Lost

I ordered the tempered glass and sent a picture of the original gasket to the glass company to see if they could match it.

Before ordering I measured one of the original windows. It was pretty damn close to the 20 1/16 by 14 1/8, if anything it may have been 1/16th oversized from those dimensions (it's not possible to get an exact measurement because the edges are not perfectly square). I think the size I ordered should fit with no issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks