• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV w/e?

johndoe007

I apologize I know what a w/w is a with winch, am I correct in assuming a w/e is with an alternator upgrade and / or necessary electrical for comms?

Thanks and sorry

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where was it used that way?

My guess is a simple mistype, since the W and the E keys are next to each other.

NormB

Tag.

Curious myself. Same thing "W/E" is on MY data plate. There's also a winch.

There WERE two sugar scoop antenna mounts and the radio wiring harness - but only a 60A alternator, otherwise I'd think maybe the "E" was for "Electronics" but I've looked through the manuals (in PDF) and can't find the meaning of "W/E" anywhere.

I DID manage to find this page which kind of supports this idea:

http://www.prc68.com/I/HMMWV.shtml

[h=3]11-2300 Radio Installation[/h]​
TB 11-2300-478-30-1 Radio Installation Procedures for the High Mobility MultipurposeWheeled Vehicles (HMMWV):

• Cargo/Troop Carier 1 1/4-TON, 4X4, W/E, M998 w/Winch, M1038;
  • Truck, Utility, ARMOR 1 1/4-TON, 4X4, W/E, M1025 AND
  • Truck, Utility, ARMAMENT CARRIER Armored, 1 1/4-TON, 4X4, W/E w/Winch, M1026

But the TB, although listing W/E in 16 places, doesn't say what it stands for.

Anyone?

NormB

Found and acronym finder site that says "With Equipment" but W/E isn't an acronym.

Can also mean What/Ever, or Week/End, which is what owning one of these takes up a lot of.

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

riderdan

My google-fu isn't always the best, but I found an instance of "w/e" at humvee in scale.That lead me to GS and a number of other sites, eventually winding up at Army Property where the list of TMs and the NSN itself shows the M1109 as "w/e"

But that's all the further down the rabbit hole I could get. None of the TMs themselves seen to contain the w/e designation, so I couldn't figure it out. But maybe a better researcher than myself can use this as a clue?

Wire Fox

I'm seeing other vehicles reference it. "Truck, Cargo, Dropside 2 1/2-TON 6X6 W/E" and also "2320-01-050-2084 M923 5T CARGO TRUCK, DROPSIDE, 6X6, W/E" I'm starting to think with how it doesn't typically show up in the manuals, but shows up on data plate and tagged to item descriptions on an NSN, I almost wonder if it might mean "with enhancements," implying that the vehicle shipped from factory with MWOs installed, but not enough changes to be declared an official, new A-revision. There's my hypothesis.

ari

I'm seeing other vehicles reference it. "Truck, Cargo, Dropside 2 1/2-TON 6X6 W/E" and also "2320-01-050-2084 M923 5T CARGO TRUCK, DROPSIDE, 6X6, W/E" I'm starting to think with how it doesn't typically show up in the manuals, but shows up on data plate and tagged to item descriptions on an NSN, I almost wonder if it might mean "with enhancements," implying that the vehicle shipped from factory with MWOs installed, but not enough changes to be declared an official, new A-revision. There's my hypothesis.
Good theory but what about a truck that has a winch it says W/W not W/W W/E together so I don't think it's enhancements since winch trucks get enhancements too.

Wire Fox

So the plot thickens. My truck is a 1038 which is labeled W/E W/W. huh.
Good theory but what about a truck that has a winch it says W/W not W/W W/E together so I don't think it's enhancements since winch trucks get enhancements too.
Wheelspinner seems to have one that has both on his dataplate, actually. I also thought I recalled seeing a M925 with a W/E listing, but without the info in front of me, I have to just call it heresay, even though it was just an hour ago...

Action

When a humvee came from the factory with a winch, didnt it get a different designation? Such as m1025 and m1026? It would usually be one number off.

Wire Fox

When a humvee came from the factory with a winch, didnt it get a different designation? Such as m1025 and m1026? It would usually be one number off.
Yes, up until the A2 series. M998 => M1038, M1025=>M1026. They apparently still slapped the description on the data plate with W/W

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it means "with equipment" but I stand to be corrected. Embarrassing we don't know this, huh?