• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV w/e?

johndoe007

I apologize I know what a w/w is a with winch, am I correct in assuming a w/e is with an alternator upgrade and / or necessary electrical for comms?

Thanks and sorry

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where was it used that way?

My guess is a simple mistype, since the W and the E keys are next to each other.

NormB

Tag.

Curious myself. Same thing "W/E" is on MY data plate. There's also a winch.

There WERE two sugar scoop antenna mounts and the radio wiring harness - but only a 60A alternator, otherwise I'd think maybe the "E" was for "Electronics" but I've looked through the manuals (in PDF) and can't find the meaning of "W/E" anywhere.

I DID manage to find this page which kind of supports this idea:

http://www.prc68.com/I/HMMWV.shtml

[h=3]11-2300 Radio Installation[/h]​
TB 11-2300-478-30-1 Radio Installation Procedures for the High Mobility MultipurposeWheeled Vehicles (HMMWV):

• Cargo/Troop Carier 1 1/4-TON, 4X4, W/E, M998 w/Winch, M1038;
  • Truck, Utility, ARMOR 1 1/4-TON, 4X4, W/E, M1025 AND
  • Truck, Utility, ARMAMENT CARRIER Armored, 1 1/4-TON, 4X4, W/E w/Winch, M1026

But the TB, although listing W/E in 16 places, doesn't say what it stands for.

Anyone?

NormB

Found and acronym finder site that says "With Equipment" but W/E isn't an acronym.

Can also mean What/Ever, or Week/End, which is what owning one of these takes up a lot of.

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

riderdan

My google-fu isn't always the best, but I found an instance of "w/e" at humvee in scale.That lead me to GS and a number of other sites, eventually winding up at Army Property where the list of TMs and the NSN itself shows the M1109 as "w/e"

But that's all the further down the rabbit hole I could get. None of the TMs themselves seen to contain the w/e designation, so I couldn't figure it out. But maybe a better researcher than myself can use this as a clue?

Wire Fox

I'm seeing other vehicles reference it. "Truck, Cargo, Dropside 2 1/2-TON 6X6 W/E" and also "2320-01-050-2084 M923 5T CARGO TRUCK, DROPSIDE, 6X6, W/E" I'm starting to think with how it doesn't typically show up in the manuals, but shows up on data plate and tagged to item descriptions on an NSN, I almost wonder if it might mean "with enhancements," implying that the vehicle shipped from factory with MWOs installed, but not enough changes to be declared an official, new A-revision. There's my hypothesis.

ari

I'm seeing other vehicles reference it. "Truck, Cargo, Dropside 2 1/2-TON 6X6 W/E" and also "2320-01-050-2084 M923 5T CARGO TRUCK, DROPSIDE, 6X6, W/E" I'm starting to think with how it doesn't typically show up in the manuals, but shows up on data plate and tagged to item descriptions on an NSN, I almost wonder if it might mean "with enhancements," implying that the vehicle shipped from factory with MWOs installed, but not enough changes to be declared an official, new A-revision. There's my hypothesis.
Good theory but what about a truck that has a winch it says W/W not W/W W/E together so I don't think it's enhancements since winch trucks get enhancements too.

Wire Fox

So the plot thickens. My truck is a 1038 which is labeled W/E W/W. huh.
Good theory but what about a truck that has a winch it says W/W not W/W W/E together so I don't think it's enhancements since winch trucks get enhancements too.
Wheelspinner seems to have one that has both on his dataplate, actually. I also thought I recalled seeing a M925 with a W/E listing, but without the info in front of me, I have to just call it heresay, even though it was just an hour ago...

Action

When a humvee came from the factory with a winch, didnt it get a different designation? Such as m1025 and m1026? It would usually be one number off.

Wire Fox

When a humvee came from the factory with a winch, didnt it get a different designation? Such as m1025 and m1026? It would usually be one number off.
Yes, up until the A2 series. M998 => M1038, M1025=>M1026. They apparently still slapped the description on the data plate with W/W

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it means "with equipment" but I stand to be corrected. Embarrassing we don't know this, huh?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks