• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV's for sale, no longer maybe, it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickf

Well now, That graph is downright impressive! According to thos figures I would guess the profit did not even pay for the advertising. I don't think IP has done such a good job in the civvie market by making bad decisions like that.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well to take it further....

280K total and only 27 were sold means they changed the demil to sell 0.0096% of the vehicles.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well now, That graph is downright impressive! According to thos figures I would guess the profit did not even pay for the advertising. I don't think IP has done such a good job in the civvie market by making bad decisions like that.
The generated buzz in trade publications and then got the stories picked up by mainstream news networks. It's an advertisers dream. Mass market at little cost.

But as long as we're just guessing:
1) There's going to be hundreds sold for over 20K each.
2) The ones that sell for what might be a "normal" price will be in horrible shape.
3) Thousands of up-armored ones will be cut up for scrap. Because looks bad to sell.
4) Like every other topic, they'll be a lot of speculation and claims of people "in the know" where "the know" doesn't sound right, and won't be. (No one in particular meant here, that' just how things go.)

emr

If ISIS can have up armored HMMWVs why can't I? rofl
This is the only post that makes sense to me, LOL They went for sale and that's a good thing, the first lot is of course not what the enthusiast wants or hopefully would be foolish enough to buy into, ( pretty much no matter what ) Unless of course as those who sit quietly waiting, and saw something good it would be had by those individuals. There are those with the money who does not think that's a lot of money. I think the sale was a win win.

Blackmagic94

Total production doesnt mean that is what is in the inventory that is nuts, I remember seeing hundreds on rail cars pass by after being repainted to ANA colors to be given to the Afgans back 5 years ago, we have given them away left and right just like they have wholesale given MRAPs to every police dept that raised their hands.

Regardless, market value is clearly higher then what many thought here.

3dAngus

Market value for a full frame off restoration today is about $35K.
These machines were purchased by people salivating over the auction, who got caught up in the bidding process over a tin can with a motor.
Prices will come down on the off road vehicles, probably go up on the legal machines for the road with the pedigreed paperwork dating back to 1999.

Jeepsinker

Alright guys, we know that this was an "experiment" in selling these vehicles to the public. We all know that thousands upon thousands of these soft skinned trucks are sitting in almost every motor pool across the nation. Because this was an "experiment" there has to be an in depth AAR with the powers that preside over this process. This will take some time, and if they look around at public online forums and don't find too many people discussing getting them titled regardless of the sale agreement, and no other unforeseen issues arise, there will be other sales. Let's not get our collective panties in a bunch just yet.

Csm Davis

i was told lastnight by my armored door source that he has an exclusive to buy the remaining M998s that were not in this round, these trucks that were auctioned first were the cleanest of the bunch and all running, the next batch will be non operational for one reason or another and he is buying a lot sum before auction as well. There is not 4000 trucks going to civi hands, 99% of them are getting the chop by an Aussie contracted company as they are uparmored and not for civi hands.

Also to the people bitching about the pricing, you cannot compare your price of your titled 1985 truck to a 1994, there is a value difference, those 85 trucks havent seen Mil PM work siince 1993, while these new bunch trucks were in PM status up to this year.
Dear Blackmagic94 I am sorry but your source lied to you he doesn't have an exclusive, I would love it if you could buy an exclusive batch of trucks like that but sorry bud it doesn't work that way. And I have made those types of offers before and moved thousands of military trucks. The best he can hope for is large lot sales and they will still be auctions. As to your numbers and armored vehicles you are off by many thousands the 4000 that were mentioned was a rough count of the light skinned trucks to be sold and I will bet the true number of them that will be sold will be much higher and to whether or not they will be nice or not, him or you have no clue. I do know there are some really nice ones to come and some dogs too. Also my information is not second hand but my eyes on trucks and direct information from DLA and Army personally and have worked for and with Govliquidation for several years.

Last edited:

goldneagle

You can buy 4 or 5 of the M939 trucks in running condition for what they paid for these HMMWVs. Al the 5 ton trucks can be titled for the road too. To me it's a no-brain er. 5 tons rule! :tank:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Market value for a full frame off restoration today is about $35K.
These machines were purchased by people salivating over the auction, who got caught up in the bidding process over a tin can with a motor.
Prices will come down on the off road vehicles, probably go up on the legal machines for the road with the pedigreed paperwork dating back to 1999.

I wouldn't go that low on a 35k full frame off...and that does depend on the level of detail, motor, trans and tcase option the rebuilder selected....but the rest of your statement is spot on.
the pushback from purchasers from the recent auction are just those folks who IMHO did no homework, and if they say they did, not very good homework. Because a few phone calls to folks who specialize in this truck would have clearly stated what the value of said trucks is really based on market conditions. There are plenty of trucks on the web that are NOT moving for same and much less then what went at auction....I liken this to buying stocks in the stock market, do your research, buy Low, sell high, look at the 52 week moving average, are you buying at the high? Might not be a good idea, unless you know something that propels the value of the stock passed that moving average, but generally, introducing more of the stock "HMMWV's" into the market, only dilutes the value.

YOU can build a ground up truck for less then 41k...period, and done right! And per the TM, have a mint garage queen ready to last another 40yrs.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
What the CSM said and I should leave it at that but ehhh, I have a few minutes but I will be nice.

We've had posters on here before putting out the "inside scoop" and how we need to do this or that. In each case, as in this one, Hellen Keller could see right through it. Sources, as in intelligence (information not intellectual), must be evaluated on the reliability of said source. Some don't realize that some members on this forum are in positions where they know things and have personal relationships with people that are well placed. We have members that work for DLA, all the DoD services, at the Pentagon, in various logistics bases all over the US and even in several foreign countries.

I personally have no dog in the HMMWV fight. I don't plan on buying one anytime soon, if at all. The article stated there were 4000 sitting around gathering dust. That does not mean all the vehicles, just that there are current 4000 awaiting DLA level disposition. It does not account for the tens of thousands that will be displaced by other various actions that include but are not limited to: unit level excess, MTOE change, modernization, unit inactivation, uneconomical repair status, life cycle, etc. I'll leave it there for now but I think some lime needs placed on the feces.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the armored HMMWV doors a demil item?

Yes, most of the time....the X-pattern doors are not, they are thin Kevlar.
one of the trucks in the auction had them. They are low threat, fragmentation only.
At my base, we have m1152's with the old X doors, stenciled on them is "for training only".

It's alway been , armor and weapons anything gets cut up. I can tell you terrible stories of what we used to put in the Demil pile....made me tear up.

comm gear used to get a sledge hammer modification before turn in...for the old outdated stuff anyway, new,stuff is controlled turn in.

123mack

In that case, I hope the poster has a paper trail showing the doors are a manufacturers' overrun and never owned by DOD. Otherwise, his life may about to become interesting, and not in a good way. If the doors are former DOD property, maybe his "source" included a large economy size tube of K-Y jelly with the sale.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be fair, I see a lot of stuff purchased direct from mfg"s as excess, overruns etc...if the govt never owned it, they can in a lot of cases, sell it...unless something in the contract forbids it. I find most of the times when I deal with companies that do govt. Contract work, they won't talk to you unless you are a local,state or,govt agency.

take Mil sys group....they will only sell minor stuff, if at all, like pioneer hood racks for the HMMWV, at the price of an arm and a leg. Some others start out with " who are you and what do you want with it", after a brief explanation of what I do, I can get them to allow me to purchase something...just depends on what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks