• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWVs Off Road Use Only?

Darky

All of the trucks are designed for highway operation though. I've never thought to look up close at the tires to check DOT, but I'd be surprised if they weren't. Either that or the military gets an exemption...I know in most places riding in the bed of a 5ton with noting but a troop strap across the back to hold you in wouldn't be legal. :D

jwaller

I bought my hmmwv out of CO and took the title to my DMV office and they stamped it "Off Road use Only" handed it back and said they would not register it in Ga. Had the Vin inspection already in hand as I've dealt with them many times before.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jwaller when did that happen? I transferred an Ohio title HMMWV to a GA title less than 6 months ago. The first 4 HMMWVs I had titled back in 2001 and 2002 in GA.

I guess your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

hwcurtice

I'd just like to have one that wasn't set up for 'Hollywood'. Or LeBron... Ifn y'all know what I mean...

Own a HMMWV for what it was designed for. Not so you can trick it up by putting skinny meats on it and loading it down with bling.... This thing was meant to get dirty and dirty it will get!

That said, I have no idea what Washington State DOT would say... Anyone?

jwaller

jwaller when did that happen? I transferred an Ohio title HMMWV to a GA title less than 6 months ago. The first 4 HMMWVs I had titled back in 2001 and 2002 in GA.

I guess your mileage may vary.
I tried it the year I got it, 3 years ago and every year since. haven't had any luck yet.

Tanner

The question of HMMWV titling 'legally', under rules & regs defined by NHTSA/DOT/DMV/etc., has regularly been discussed.

By the Federal laws of the land, they simply are not/were not designed/built to be titled legally by citizens for use on U.S. public roads/highways/goat paths/etc... Why, you ask? Simple. Not crash testing. no padded dash, no airbags, etc...

Can you slide them through the paperwork shuffle at DMV & get a title? Possibly. Is it legit? Most likely not, as AM General has set a precedent by letting the States know years ago that the HMMWV ain't exactly the legal for on-highway use, OUTSIDE of use by the military.

'Tanner'

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the Federal laws of the land said:
Same goes for for the M35a2s and m35A3s produced in the 80's and 90's by the same company AM General but they have never had a problem. The crazy thing is a HMMWV can easliy be upgraded with the componets from a 92/93 Hummer that will make it comply with any regs for the time period.

BTW Air bags were not required in light trucks untill 1999

Last edited:

Malyutkaman

I'd just like to have one that wasn't set up for 'Hollywood'. Or LeBron... Ifn y'all know what I mean...

Own a HMMWV for what it was designed for. Not so you can trick it up by putting skinny meats on it and loading it down with bling.... This thing was meant to get dirty and dirty it will get!

That said, I have no idea what Washington State DOT would say... Anyone?
I bought mine from the Atlanta GA auction, had it shipped back to Tacoma, took the SF-97 to the DMV and got a title (after the state patrol inspection) no problems.

saddamsnightmare

December 18th, 2010.

Now to drop the angry cat into this dog fight.......:razz:!

I know we are discussing HMMWV's here, but I do believe that David Doyle turned up something a couple of months back on the fact that the US Attorney General stated the only applicable regulations on the M35 series was the original US Army contract specifications, and that the exemption was grandfathered down to any later purchasers, government or civillian.
FURTHER, I will posit that as the M35A series was designed and accepted in 1948 for service, nothing on any later continuation of the contract up to the A-2's would have to meet FHSA standards due to the US Army specifications being the defining standards for the vehicles. I have seen 1971 Ford F600 Fire trucks that had nothing but safety glass and seat belts, which is exactly what my 1971 deuce does have..... The Unimog was designed in 1955 in Germany and even though mine is a 1963 Swiss, nothing in modern FHSA regulations applies as long as it has two headlights, stop and tail lights and turn signals.... It cannot be held to a US standard that did not exist when it was built and does not cover vehicles for foriegn service.....
Hummer's? The civillian ones are prettified, but they do have some padding, the HMMWV's.... you're on your own as far as I can see..... But heack, a Model T Ford doesn't have any of the modern safety gear beyond windshield glass, and it will eat most modern cars up in a wreck....:!:

Malyutkaman

i still have to see your collection malyukaman!
So would I........Since I changed jobs three years ago I havn't had time to do much of anything. It's been two years since I had the FOX out (I probably shouldn't have said that). Even now I'm writing this from work, ON A SUNDAY NO LESS!!!!!aua Anyhow, when I'm down at the hangar again I'll send a PM. (of course I only visit these forums on my breaks......:lol:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks