• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home from Aberdeen

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just pulled in, of course didn't drive the MV, so not as worried about making it. Was great to meet everyone, and pick up some parts also.

Dennis

Last edited:

73duece

Me and the boys got in @ 22 :30 last night. It was good to be able to put faces to names. We met alot of like minded people. The kids had a great time did 'nt want to leave. Thanks Mangus for the deal on the generator it started on the 5th pull. I ran it for 45 min purred like a kitten. The museum was cool. Now the kids want a tank. I told them to put it on the list.

gasser

Wife, kid, and I got back into Atlanta about an hour ago ... took our time on the way back. Stayed the night last night somewhere in the middle of NC.
Had a great time seeing everyone again on the convoy and at Aberdeen - and got to unload some goodies to folks. Got to put some of the screen names to actual faces ... kinda cool feeling to meet the human beings opposed to their writings ....

I also got some goodies for the RT524 that I have been looking for a while now. Also got a couple of gallons of non-CARC 383 paint ... going to prep the M1009 soon.

The M1009 ran good on the way home; averaged about 21MPG and ran on average of 60MPH on the interstates.

Going to try to make it to Haspin this year.

Be good all,

-graham

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very glad to hear everyone is getting in safely. I've got good news, bad news and good news.The good is that I'm home. Won't be able to hear for a month from the plane, my ears and sinuses but thats OK. The bad news is that JWC called about a half hour ago and one of his hard injector lines snapped, so he's off the road right now. And the last bit of good news is that he's a half hour from his house. He's going to have his wife pick him up and take him home so he can get another line off the parts truck then head back and get the dump truck. Nice to meet all you guys and can't wait to see all the pics and hear everyones recount on the activities.

1crook

About 45 minutes ago Am General split off of I-85 on to I-40 east going back to Morganton, NC. Clinto is 50 miles north of Charlotte. Expected eta home is between midnight and 2am.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to hear Clintogf. We took real good care of Mr Clinto this weekend as he did for us. A good time was had by all except maybe "Downhill Bill"

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dad (herc69) and I rolled in around 2100 in Columbia, SC. We got on the road last night around 1900, drove until 2200, spend the night around Fredericksburg. Had an issue right inside of NC, lost our alternator. I suddenly smelled burning wires (not good :? ) and noticed the voltmeter in the low yellow. Pulled off, and the wire from the alt to the + stud on the starter had BURNED OFF at the crimped connection. Like, the wire melted and all.

So got the truck off at the next exit, and I used the dodge (glad we drove it after all) to find a new terminal. Found a grounding one at Lowe's, drilled the hole out (fun fun fun) and hooked it all back up. No charging. :(

So we drove it all the way about 400miles home, only had the stop lights on. Had to use the headlights for the last 60miles, but she made it fine.

After fixing the draging brake (thanks Gimpy!) we got 8-10mpg on the trip home. All in all about 1400 miles in the deuce. Not bad. Glad to finally meet you guys, already planning for next year! [thumbzup]

Just need to save up and get an alternator now.

1crook

Recovry 4x4, I am glad to here that everyone had a good time. I was worried about him, thanks for looking out. Clinto is about 65 miles from the Ga state line now. I can't believe that he is driving straight home. I will have to ask about "Downhill Bill" when he gets home.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we have Westy limping in and Clinto having a long day. Anyone here from JWC? I should have callled a few hours ago to see how he did with the injector line.

art

Made it home all ok on Saturday night about 1830.
It was great seeing everyone again.
The Convoy was great going down to Aberdeen.
Thanks again Cabel for the pig roast!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am here, just got home, left 0900, got home 0110.

Very tired.

Last had feeling in my posterior around Charlotte.

Will post more tomorrow.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll get on the horn today and find out about JWC and Gimpy. I know Jeff had that injector line break but he was only a half hour out and had a spare at the house.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
God Bless you all for a great extended weekend in Aberdeen. I was so blessed to spend time with you all and my son Noah was really impressed by every Steel Soldier he met. I am especially grateful for the help Cabell and AMGeneral and others provided me when my oil filters started squirting Texas tea all over the truck due to the gasket issue I had. I will never forget the great time we had. I am glad to hear so many of you have posted safe although long and arduous trips home. Get some rest and thanks again what a wonderful family of friends we have here.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, just got off the horn with JWC. He got his injector line swapped out and made it in around 2330 last night. Gimpyrobb stopped out in Zanesville with Oilcan in hopes of moving Cabell's truck today. Still need an update on Westech, anyone got a number?

Westech

CPL
got in to Madison about 3:30 am. The left rear brake is all tore up and I'm leaking fuel out of the main feed rubber line and another injector line at the head. other then that I do have very very good news... after all the miles in my Deuce and not knowing how to work the spring seat (it was stuck on the floor) I got it fixed in Ohio. so the ride home after that was not too bad.

P.S. I would like to thank Kenny and everyone else that was keeping track of us. Its really nice to know you got help out there if you need it. I don't know about you but 1000 miles in a deuce cross country is a little nerve racking to me all alone.

CGarbee

Got in to Raleigh at 7:30PM ish yesterday (5/13) after having made a short detour to Hollywood, MD on the way back to pick up some M37 parts that a buddy had stashed for me. Both the '83 M35A2C that my buddy Chuck was driving and my '53 Cummins M37 made the trip home without any problems. The M35's alternator death on the trip up has been discussed already (and I really appreciate everyone's pitching in to put it right while we were at the show, that new one from TNJ Murray looks really nice in the engine bay, and the old one will get dropped off this week at the shop for a rebuild...).

Chuck called today from Williamston, NC to say that he managed to keep his Ford between the ditches on the way home from my place to his, so he made it back in time for Mother's Day... :)

Thanks to everyone for great time in Aberdeen. I'm already thinking about next year, and how we can make everyhing better... I'll start a thread about that before long...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks