• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home Made Fording Kit?

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well yesterday I got to spend a good amount of time in the water. I had it up to the top of the tires (395's) and drove it around more today and checked fluids. As I expected there was absolutely no contamination. Once I get it routed up higher I will try it to the top of the hood and go deeper as I see fit.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your wheel bearings. And pull the steering knuckles. Water probally got in behind the boots. The inner seals probally kept it out of the diffs.

crazywelder72

i need pics... It would be awesome to see the pics of you tearing into it and then showing how dry it was.

Just today I was watching someone replace the silicone boots and wheel bearings. so i got to see the assembly with the axle removed for my first time.

i still have yet to see the rears.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will try and get you some pics of it if I didn't delete them. I use the zipper boots since I seem to have to replace them twice a year anyways. I silicone the heck out of them where they meet the axle and then use rtv gasket on the outside of the zipper since it is stretches better and won't tear off of the zipper.

rolling18

i need pics... It would be awesome to see the pics of you tearing into it and then showing how dry it was.

Just today I was watching someone replace the silicone boots and wheel bearings. so i got to see the assembly with the axle removed for my first time.

i still have yet to see the rears.
i agree it would be GREAT to see how your change those zipper boots!! with actual pics

TehTDK

This is the term I grew up with and hadn't used the term "drive shaft" until I was much older. It's a propeller shaft in the true definition. A propeller shaft, or Cardan shaft is a mechanical component for transmitting torque and rotation used to connect components to a drive train. It "propel's" you forward... Many car manufacturers still refer to them as such in their tech manuals. Just remember if it says use a "torch" to aid, it's referencing a "flash light" not a "torch" in our American vocab.... Any yes, I do spell tire, tyre..:)
In my local vocab its referred to as a drive shaft or cardan shaft. But when I looked at it when I started picking up english I heard it referred to as a prob shaft etc so I tended to stick with that :p. But all in all an informative thread. Because I intend to "try" to at least make "my" deuce more fordable when/if I get one. Might ultimately select another vehicle if it turns out the Deuce is simply not possible to make proper fordable without excessive maintenance on the other side of the pond or when I get home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks