• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood - Rubber Strip Replacement

DeucesWild11

OK so I didn't see any posts on this and it was a quick and fairly easy install so I wanted to share it. I mainly wanted to share my tip for bending the pins so they don't fall out.

I bought the kit from Saturn for around $12.50 for the kit, two rubber strips and all the pins that were a pain in the A$$ to bend back. Not sure if you can see them in the pic that well. So I pushed them in and stuck a screw driver in the middle of the pin to bend back each side. Well it was a tight spot under the hood and those pins a rather strong. They have a similar style to a cotter pin but with a flat back, sorry I don't know the correct name.

Anyway I bent both sides a little over but couldn't get a tight fit. Then it hit me, use that weird vice grip that I had in my tool chest forever and never used. It worked like a charm but you'll need to already have the pins bent back a little. Sorry for the pic it was night time. The Vice grip was not wide enough to reach the back two so I used an old metal clamp. A "C" clamp would probably work well too. Now they are nice and tight and the hood doesn't rattle anymore. Not to mention two metal parts rubbing together causes rust too!. I rust proofed mine before installing the rubber strips.

I thought it was a good, cheap and worthwhile upgrade since there was nothing there before . I didn't even know there was supposed to be two strips there until I stumbled onto the kit online! Ha!

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Thanks Jonathan! I was debating rivets too but I thought the mounting holes were too large and perhaps the rivets may damage the rubber. It was one of those jobs that you think would be a piece of cake and then WTF??

steelandcanvas

Thanks Jonathan! I was debating rivets too but I thought the mounting holes were too large and perhaps the rivets may damage the rubber. It was one of those jobs that you think would be a piece of cake and then WTF??
I just happened to have the right size rivets handy, and took a chance. I agree, simple job, I'll have this done in no time. NOT!

Flyingvan911

The rear corners of my hood rattle. They flex in and out like the truck is breathing real fast when at an idle. I plan to put a little rubber back there to stop them.

JCKnife

I've got 2 strips cut out of an old tire and I was planning on using screws (like the ones I took out) but I'll try the rivets--thanks!

Woodsplinter

I put my kit on today using 3/16" aluminum pop rivets & washers.
Worked perfect and only took 5 minutes.
Thanks to you guys before me, I didn't waste any time or effort with the steel rivets that came with them.
WAS NOT HAPPY being charged $9.89 for shipping!
Two little pieces of rubber that could have been sent in an envelope were instead sent in a big box with about a cubic foot of peanuts-really?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks