• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood - Rubber Strip Replacement

steelandcanvas

I put my kit on today using 3/16" aluminum pop rivets & washers.
Worked perfect and only took 5 minutes.
Thanks to you guys before me, I didn't waste any time or effort with the steel rivets that came with them.
WAS NOT HAPPY being charged $9.89 for shipping!
Two little pieces of rubber that could have been sent in an envelope were instead sent in a big box with about a cubic foot of peanuts-really?
Glad my tip worked out for you. I'm also glad it wasn't me that charged you that much shipping for 2 little pieces of rubber.

Woodsplinter

Well, I spoke with Jay at Saturn Surplus and he explained that they ship everything by UPS. UPS charges a 1 lb. minimun for everything they ship, and your location of course determines the rate.
So that's that.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built my own pair of rubber strips using a piece of 1/4" mud flap. The mud flap (bought from NAPA for big trucks) is built like a tire and has reinforcing material just like the tires and I thought it would hold up a lot better than the originals. I don’t believe the originals had any reinforcements in them, but they are nicer because they have countersinks for the screws. When I cut mine out, I used 10-32 counter sunk stainless screws so the flat head would pull into the rubber and I could control how much they countersunk by how I tighten the screws. I used nylon lock nuts also. They are about 6.5” long, buy 1” wide and ¼” thick I believe. Maybe the width is 3/4“…. Not sure now. Plus they were free as I had the mud flap material from another project.

Attachments

JCKnife

As update: the tire strip I used was WAY too thick. Will have to tear it off and try again with something else. The hood latch won't reach and there's a big gap between the hood and the side panel.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use conveyor belt material. It has cords like a tire but is much thinner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks