• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hope you all don't hate me for this...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Essentially, you pull the break away controller cable, which immediately activates the brakes on the trailer, then pull your pins & back up. It'll dump if the brakes are properly adjusted. I know my car hauler will skid along with the wheels locked up if I pull out that cable or activate the brakes accidentally (works as a great parking brake too!)
I wouldn't use the break-away controller as a parking brake for any length of time. It will finally drain the battery in the controller and the trailer will roll away.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy crap that's a lot of wood on that trailer. Good job with the mod. I would continue the mod with some airbag shocks that truck trailers use, might help support the load a little more when you hit the potholes on the way home.

taildragger03

I may have to modify the suspension as well. Maybe new springs so I don't flatten the the stock springs straight when I am loaded. The trailer really is forgiving on dirt or pavement. The sway going around corners I have to watch. With that truck and the trailer loaded, I can still keep with highway traffic but it is the looks on other faces that classic. Passing other woodcutters on the road is sometimes priceless! :mrgreen:
I like the ideas you guys are coming up with, brakes, suspension etc. It seems these things can always be improved. I find myself always coming up with ideas for it.

blybrook

I wouldn't use the break-away controller as a parking brake for any length of time. It will finally drain the battery in the controller and the trailer will roll away.
I agree completely, but if he is looking for a quick solution to dump the trailer, it would work. I never use it long term on my car hauler, only a few minutes when required. If you have the trailer plugged into the truck while doing this, there is also a chance to back feed into the controller and fry that as well.

I still believe that modifying an electric backed brake to accept the original cable parking brake is going to be the ultimate solution.

When I get the parts together and start to work on mine, I think this will be part of the writeup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks