• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn isn't working

Tdrake1

Hey guys. I have a m1009 I'm trying to get road ready. The only things in the way is the brake lights and the horn. I replaced the steering column with one from a civilian model suburban, and the horn isn't working. I replaced all the parts for the horn in the column but that didn't work. Also when I put the fuse in, the horn goes off. I am thinking it's a wiring issue. Any insight would be useful thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, horn diode

cucvrus

I have Terminus M1009 that does the same thing. It is a resistor up top of the fuse box that is bad. I never cut mine but I was told to cut the resistor wire. I have the relay pulled for now. I do not need the horn on my off road vehicle. I need a midget to get up there and cut that wire. Or remove the fuse box and eliminate it and seal up the wire ends. just never took the time to do it. God Luck.

Barrman

Does the new column have the metal horn ring with the 3 screws that are supposed to have plastic spacer on them or the newer 4 spoke wheel with the horn button in the cap? I would suggest if it is the old style/CUCV style of horn button to remove the metal ring and then try the fuse. If it doesn't turn the horn on then the ring was in a constant ground.

I haven't found those stupid plastic spacers anywhere. I have had success making new ones from gasket making paper and then carefully tightening the screws just right.

Tdrake1

It's the older style column. I know which spacer you're talking about. Unfortunately it crumbled as soon as I touched it. Planning on making a new one. Thanks

Tdrake1

Thanks for the info. The pictures should help a ton. I will look into the diode.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the new column have the metal horn ring with the 3 screws that are supposed to have plastic spacer on them or the newer 4 spoke wheel with the horn button in the cap? I would suggest if it is the old style/CUCV style of horn button to remove the metal ring and then try the fuse. If it doesn't turn the horn on then the ring was in a constant ground.

I haven't found those stupid plastic spacers anywhere. I have had success making new ones from gasket making paper and then carefully tightening the screws just right.
Those plastic spacers can be found on eBay.
When I fixed my horn, I found all NOS GM parts for the column and steering wheel.

Installed New ACDelco dual horns.
Flawless ever since.

Tdrake1

Those plastic spacers can be found on eBay.
When I fixed my horn, I found all NOS GM parts for the column and steering wheel.

Installed New ACDelco dual horns.
Flawless ever since.
Any idea what the spacer is called or how to find it? Thanks

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know exactly what it's called.
Just searched for GM truck horn
......along those lines anyway

should get you close

Tdrake1

spacer ring GM # 9754764 It looks like it was used all the way back into the early 60's on a lot of GM vehicles as a horning bushing/spacer.
Thanks. It would have been **** trying to find that part I'm sure.

cucvrus

I mis typed Horn Ring Bushing Spacer. Glad I could help. But I think you can buy them parts at an automotive parts store. I have in the past. I think it was under the HELP packaged items. they make older hard to find items and sell them pre=packaged. I will look today when I get out. Good Luck. If you don't find anything I have some I am sure of that. let me know. glad to help if I can.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the parts shown and identified in the parts TM?

Tdrake1

I mis typed Horn Ring Bushing Spacer. Glad I could help. But I think you can buy them parts at an automotive parts store. I have in the past. I think it was under the HELP packaged items. they make older hard to find items and sell them pre=packaged. I will look today when I get out. Good Luck. If you don't find anything I have some I am sure of that. let me know. glad to help if I can.
I will give napa a call today, they have always been able to come to the rescue so far, that's just about the only bad things with these trucks, is all the stuff that's disintegrates when you touch it. Thanks man I appreciate it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks