• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horse power for different engines without hard upgrades.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I thought the 3116 top road hp was 290 and 330 for the 3126. Thought the higher hp numbers were only marine applications with cold water cooling.

scottmandu

I thought the 3116 top road hp was 290 and 330 for the 3126. Thought the higher hp numbers were only marine applications with cold water cooling.
The highest hp numbers are marine versions. I believe there is a road HP of 370 for the 3126 and C7.

ramdough

The highest hp numbers are marine versions. I believe there is a road HP of 370 for the 3126 and C7.
My understanding was that the higher HP road versions also had different hard components, like pistons, injectors, turbos, etc.....

I am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The majority of the 3116 engines produced were of the 175 hp variety. They could not be turned up much without breaking parts. The engines in the FMTV platforms with the 225 and up all have the stronger internals for higher hp. I believe the parts change was at the stock 185hp and up.

scottmandu

My understanding was that the higher HP road versions also had different hard components, like pistons, injectors, turbos, etc.....

I am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not true for all engines. Injectors and turbos are different because they had to be to flow more air/fuel.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I have my own personal Cat ET program, im not worried about being able to service it my self. based on my experience I would rather have the all mechanical 3116 even if it is cold blooded to start in the winter. As for the electronic engines it's the c-7 hands down. the operating system is more advanced, and they seem pretty reliable we have one in the fleet dated back to the late 90's. and other than 1 turbo and a set of injectors it's been pretty reliable even if its showing signs of wear now at the draft tube. it still starts easy in the winter and pulls strong. one thing to remember the early c-7's has a catalyst in the muffler, the muffler is a cat part number it cost 8 grand and takes about 3 months to get one. when ours plugged I just replaced it with one from walker with no catalyst. the point of course is the exhaust systems on c7 equipped trucks were part of the emissions systems. my experience with the newer engines from all manufactures, is pretty negative. the base engines have been solid but the emissions add-on's are junk, expect problems with the after treatment , egr coolers, and vgt's

scottmandu

I have my own personal Cat ET program, im not worried about being able to service it my self. based on my experience I would rather have the all mechanical 3116 even if it is cold blooded to start in the winter. As for the electronic engines it's the c-7 hands down. the operating system is more advanced, and they seem pretty reliable we have one in the fleet dated back to the late 90's. and other than 1 turbo and a set of injectors it's been pretty reliable even if its showing signs of wear now at the draft tube. it still starts easy in the winter and pulls strong. one thing to remember the early c-7's has a catalyst in the muffler, the muffler is a cat part number it cost 8 grand and takes about 3 months to get one. when ours plugged I just replaced it with one from walker with no catalyst. the point of course is the exhaust systems on c7 equipped trucks were part of the emissions systems. my experience with the newer engines from all manufactures, is pretty negative. the base engines have been solid but the emissions add-on's are junk, expect problems with the after treatment , egr coolers, and vgt's
LMTV's are emission exempt thankfully.

Aernan

This is probably the best HP thread on the 3116 I have found. Thanks for the contributions.

Superman had great advice about basic stuff I need to do before even going to the Cat mechanic. Thanks.

On to my question. I know that performance in diesel is really closely tied to how early in the expansion cycle you can start to inject fuel. The earlier the longer you will have to burn it in the cylinder and extract power from it. To that end I believe higher pressure injection is required for earlier injection. I know the 3116e had HEU and the 3126 has HEU. Would it be worth retrofitting the HEU to a MEU motor to get that increase in injector pressure?

Turbo question. I know modern cars now make use of dual scroll turbos to provide more boost at lower engine RPMs which has the result of providing a flat torque curve. They also remove turbo lag because the turbo is spooled and making boost at idle. I also know that impeller design and materials have advanced since 1992 when the 3116 was introduced. Has anyone looked into modern turbos for this old motor?

Reworked LMTV

This is probably the best HP thread on the 3116 I have found. Thanks for the contributions.

Superman had great advice about basic stuff I need to do before even going to the Cat mechanic. Thanks.

On to my question. I know that performance in diesel is really closely tied to how early in the expansion cycle you can start to inject fuel. The earlier the longer you will have to burn it in the cylinder and extract power from it. To that end I believe higher pressure injection is required for earlier injection. I know the 3116e had HEU and the 3126 has HEU. Would it be worth retrofitting the HEU to a MEU motor to get that increase in injector pressure?

Turbo question. I know modern cars now make use of dual scroll turbos to provide more boost at lower engine RPMs which has the result of providing a flat torque curve. They also remove turbo lag because the turbo is spooled and making boost at idle. I also know that impeller design and materials have advanced since 1992 when the 3116 was introduced. Has anyone looked into modern turbos for this old motor?
Once you Frankenstein anything you will have lots of headaches. Not worth it in my book.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been watching some nearly new C-7's going through the auctions recently. They ain't cheep..

"Speed ( and Horsepower) ain't cheep sonny.. How fast to you wanna go?"

Pointman

Aernan

Once you Frankenstein anything you will have lots of headaches. Not worth it in my book.
Reworked I share your concern about modifying a great design which could make things less reliable or damage the vehicle. Just for reference Cat has an updated turbo for the 3116 and 3126 1005865. For the other point I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort to retrofit the electronically controlled injection to the 3116. They certainly did start doing that at the end of the 3116 production run calling it the 3116e.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what about this is an upgrade? Bigger? Spools up faster? I have heard that the higher output 3116's had bigger turbos, but I would think bigger injectors would need to go with that sort of 'upgrade'..

Pointman

Reworked LMTV

Reworked I share your concern about modifying a great design which could make things less reliable or damage the vehicle. Just for reference Cat has an updated turbo for the 3116 and 3126 1005865. For the other point I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort to retrofit the electronically controlled injection to the 3116. They certainly did start doing that at the end of the 3116 production run calling it the 3116e.
The E engines are rare birds. Parts may be difficult to find and / or expensive. The HUE had some failure issues as I recall. Ask Adept Ape on Youtube what he thinks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks