• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horse power for different engines without hard upgrades.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Marine is usually cold water cooled you can really push them in that situation. Unless you are really working your lmtv it dosnt need more power than the cat dealer can safely eek out of it. You increase the probability of something breaking. I have seen a lot of driveshaft and related transmission failures. Cost more to fix that than most people paid for their trucks.

Reworked LMTV

Sure, you can make a Cobalt go Corvette fast, but at the end of the day it's still just a Cobalt.

Maybe start with a HET instead and bob it : )

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HDN

Aernan

At this point I will just take this discussion elsewhere. It sound like even if it was simple and proven that you can get more power safely out of the power plant without damaging anything else in the system or shortening it's lifespan you would all say it's impossible or risky or too costly to justify.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Break the ice and do it, then report back the process and outcome. And give updates as mileage is out on. The problem is not many have done it already. I’d like to hear about it for one especially if I can simply get 300hp without sacrificing reliability, for cheap.

Reactions: HDN

Reworked LMTV

At this point I will just take this discussion elsewhere. It sound like even if it was simple and proven that you can get more power safely out of the power plant without damaging anything else in the system or shortening it's lifespan you would all say it's impossible or risky or too costly to justify.
I'm not sure what the official term is, but I would call it power banding. The 3116 and 3126 and C7 are at the upper end of their limits in many cases. More power = less life, but it is tempting. At times we all suffer from Testosterone Overload and can't get out heads around the term "practical". Showing up in a new Corvette to pick up your wife and newborn is a good example : ) I'd like to do a C9, since it would be just luffing when meeting our needs, but I know there will be so many issues.....

snowtrac nome

I don't think the 3116 needs much more power what it needs is less turbo lag when you drive one you can tell it really is a stationary motor intended to run at a steady rpm like an excavator, water pump or gen set. They have an rpm range they are comfortable at. It would be nice to try to wake the off throttle performance up with say compound turbos and a cam regrind for a wider power range. My buddy at the cat dealership did caution about messing with the governor because of the weak valve springs tat were used in these motors.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Some trucks spool right up and some seem to have more lag. The trucks that have reman or newer engines have a noticeably faster spool.

snowtrac nome

maybe I will check with my cat guy and see if there was a valid turbo change but turbo lag is my only beef the c-7's in our fleet don't have it. I still like the reliability and simplicity of my mechanical engine.

rd3war

I was surprised how fast my M1078 w/ 3116 is. The turbo spools right up and you go from 10 mph to 50 mph in no time. I don't notice much lag and once the turbo spools it takes off. If I keep my foot on it the truck goes right through the gears smoothly and accelerates fast. I expected it to be a lot slower than it is and when first driving it expected to not keep up with traffic as well as it does, actually ahead of it... up to 50mph, then I get passed. It also holds speed very well on hills, the motor and trans find a sweet spot and it goes right along. Extra power would be nice but I don't think it really needs it.

coachgeo

I don't think the 3116 needs much more power what it needs is less turbo lag when you drive one you can tell it really is a stationary motor intended to run at a steady rpm like an excavator, water pump or gen set. They have an rpm range they are comfortable at. It would be nice to try to wake the off throttle performance up with say compound turbos and a cam regrind for a wider power range. My buddy at the cat dealership did caution about messing with the governor because of the weak valve springs tat were used in these motors.
Cam idea sounds interesting. Can you check with your CAT guy to see if there was a different Turbo / intercooler combo's for different applications? Would guess most here would need about same as someone building an Expo Camper, Work truck or Forrest Fire Service.... better highway cruise performance (MPG at drive speeds) along with some offroad grunt. Except those of course who only are MV display/parade folk and they can stay stock?

Aernan

I was surprised how fast my M1078 w/ 3116 is. The turbo spools right up and you go from 10 mph to 50 mph in no time. I don't notice much lag and once the turbo spools it takes off. If I keep my foot on it the truck goes right through the gears smoothly and accelerates fast. I expected it to be a lot slower than it is and when first driving it expected to not keep up with traffic as well as it does, actually ahead of it... up to 50mph, then I get passed. It also holds speed very well on hills, the motor and trans find a sweet spot and it goes right along. Extra power would be nice but I don't think it really needs it.
What year was your made?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks