• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hot rod deuce and half

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that thing is sick cool. You've got to take that to Aberdeen. Can you imagine the flood of 911 calls when all the purists start fainting?

Trying to visualize it with duals on the back!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks awesome! I like it, I would have preferred a little more "patina" to give it that rat rod look, but otherwise very cool.

Looks better than this deuce hot rod...

Attachments

JerseyHick

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I was realy expecting to get my a** handed to me by the purist.
I'll get out this weekend and get some video of it.
I'd love to get it to Aberdeen or some other MV shows. My only concern would be outrunning the lynch mob:shock:.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have single handedly invented a new class of vehicle: the military rat rod. As a purist, I am totally cool with it. So many GMCs get scrapped every day that this outcome can't hurt.

3dAngus

The purist are only intermittently annoying, but never a lynch mob, or at least, not on this site.
Your point is well taken however.

I would find it very difficult to believe that any man could not appreciate the beauty and labor of love you put into that machine. It would have to be an award winner for sure but I'm not sure of the category.

plym49

Really nice.

What color/paint did you use?

Respectfully stated, I believe your front spring is upside down. It is compressing the short leafs instead of stretching them. This can cause a rougher ride than it should be and the main leaf would want to break (although it is a light vehicle).

Another Ahab

The purist are only intermittently annoying, but never a lynch mob, or at least, not on this site.
Your point is well taken however.

I would find it very difficult to believe that any man could not appreciate the beauty and labor of love you put into that machine. It would have to be an award winner for sure but I'm not sure of the category.
Agreed (thank you 3dAangus).

We're a Big Tent on this site from what I can tell, and there's room for all of us here. Lots of ways to appreciate MV's, from historic restoration to hysteric recreation.

Your "Big Daddy Rat Rod" is a pure gas!

Last edited:

JerseyHick

Really nice. What color/paint did you use? Respectfully stated, I believe your front spring is upside down. It is compressing the short leafs instead of stretching them. This can cause a rougher ride than it should be and the main leaf would want to break (although it is a light vehicle).
Thanks again. I used WW2 semi-gloss from gillespie coatings. Looks good but not as durable as I'd like, I should have added a hardner when I sprayed it. I understand what your saying about the springs. But I believe they are correct. If they were reversed the long main spring would be on top of the pack thus, holding all the weight. The only way the lowers could be stretched and used. Would be buy placing all the tension on the spring clamps holding the main to the shorter leafs underneath. In a standard auto all weight is pushed down thru the main leaf, to the shorter support leafs. This setup is a little different because gravity is trying to pull the body away from the axle. As opposed to standard eliptical where the body is being pushed toward the axle. At least thats how I figure it. I could be mistaken. It definitely wouldnt be the first time.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks