• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How about a California Steel Soldiers Rally at a great spot?

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are pay-for camping spots? So, flamming donuts would be frowned upon?
In the improved campsites the flaming donut would probably be frowned upon.

There are other local campgrounds with fire pits that can accommodate a pretty good sized fire, but I must amit that a flaming donut burning man type bonfire would probably result in a forest service, Cal Fire or local fire dept. showing up.

CaliforniaJoe

Gentlemen, I hope that we will have a outing somewhere in Southern Cal. Even if it's just 3 guys putting around. I am game. I live in Palmdale. I have a M35a2. God Bless. Joe Cronin

Prospector GM

Hello California Joe
Welcome to the site
Just to let you know, here is a few coming events SoCal 2014 event in San Bernardino mountains by Blendmaster 2002 and also a SoCal 2014 Fall Rally event by FASTNOVA.
Check out past So Cal events and rallies for more information and photos.:driver::driver:

CaliforniaJoe

Please keep me informed I am picking up my M35a2 the 17th of this month. It's my Fathers day gift. Thank you. I can't wait to take it out with the Family. God Bless.

Major Asstyrd

Bishop is a very nice and scenic area. Wife and I stayed overnight last week. A stop at the Petite Pantry for a meal is highly recommended. It's not what newbies expect, and the owner is a real character.

The good and bad thing about the eastern Sierra Nevada area is it's so hard to get to for most Californians. This has preserved it. Wouldn't have been the case if Governor Reagan had not torpedoed the planned trans-Sierra highway that was going to go through Devil's Postpile and Mammoth back in 1972.

Could be a nice regional meet could happen if you get the word out to the MVers around Reno, Carson, Tahoe, and the Gold Country. Maybe do it closer to them like around Bridgeport or up on one of the passes? This would take advertising and networking beyond SS.com. Use the MVCC newsletter for sure because it reaches 400 members plus whoever else the club web calendar reaches. Work through our regional VP Dave Porter who lives along Hwy 50 and knows many of the foothill gang. With enough time, run calendar listings in Military Vehicles Magazine and Supply Line. Gotta go for the big pie because the slice for an Eastern Sierra meet will always be small.

Back to the "California Rally" idea - It already happens in April at the Camp Delta meet at Tower Park. It's the largest annual MV meet in the Western U.S. and the September version is the second largest. But no one meet suits everybody and obviously it isn't a SS rally although many on these forums attend. These are not just for MVCC members. We have seen various clubs doing their own meetings at Camp Delta. The good thing about scheduling SS or other club gatherings at big events like those is there are many attractions.

But these events are not focussed on driving actitivies or gun shooting. They are big vendor events with tire kicking, socializing, a featured display or two, catered dinners, even activities for the ladies. But spuds are the only things shot, very little dirt to drive on, and road runs involve fast delta two-laners or maybe Delta Loop pub crawling.

Going beyond the Bishop idea, if a goal is to do a fairly big central event closer to SoCal OR to have a meet in the summer, then it probably needs to be on the western side of the mountains in the center of the state. But the lower San Joaquin Valley is always quite hot. To find mild summer weather it means going high in the foothills east of, say, Fresno, or to the coast. Probably the latter, like around San Luis Obispo or Paso Robles. The Estrella Warbird Air Museum would be an attraction. Maybe they can help host a meet.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks