• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How bad is this flywheel?

Harijan

Got down to fixing my 1986 m1009 this weekend. Chased down all the electrical gremlins. Tried to start her up and got a loud, fast-paced continuous clicking. Figured it was the starter grinding on the flywheel. I was almost certain I needed to replace the starter anyway, so I took off the starter, and this is what I saw.

If the pictures are not clear, 4-5 teeth on the flywheel are stripped about 1/5 of their length. All the other teeth appear to be in good shape.

Questions:
1. Do I need to replace the flywheel
2. I thought the gear on the starter was designed to break before damaging the flywheel. What could have caused stripping on just those teeth?

Attachments

dennisS

Have had a similar problem with my M-1010. Occasionally a loud whinning noise that I thought had to be a flat spot on the starter. I am able to start my vehicle by rocking it back and forth in park or if I am on a slight incline allowing it to roll a little and then putting it in park. It then will start right up. I know, an automatic shouldn't do this. Now I'm thinking that it might be the same problem that you have.

Dennis

pmramsey

Have had a similar problem with my M-1010. Occasionally a loud whinning noise that I thought had to be a flat spot on the starter. I am able to start my vehicle by rocking it back and forth in park or if I am on a slight incline allowing it to roll a little and then putting it in park. It then will start right up. I know, an automatic shouldn't do this. Now I'm thinking that it might be the same problem that you have.

Dennis
Replace the starter solenoid before you eat up either a starter or a flywheel.

dependable

Ground flex plate teeth are usually caused by low voltage to starter, tired run out solenoid or over drawing starter or combination, (and the conditions are related) If you put in fresh starter, have strong batteries hooked up properly, you may get away with not replacing the flex plate, you will know when you turn the key. If it grinds, you will eventually have to replace it.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replacing the flywheel/flexplate--- in vehicle--- is not that terribly difficult. Go to The Diesel Page and get their Troubleshooting and Repair Guide, you won't regret it. Not super technical, it's kind of like the 'For Dummies' books for diesel engines. So if you really want to learn the ins-n-outs of your 6.2/6.5, I highly reccomend this book. It has helped me 100 times over and still counting...

Good luck

hummer4x4guy

Anyone know if there is truth behind this: The engine and thus also the flexplate usually end up stopping in the same position which is why only one section of most flexplates get a small section of chewed up teeth. I had the same issue on the humvee and once I put in a new plate I never have a grinding issue. (talk about embarrasing when starting up any truck you take pride in and it sounds like that)

zout

I have found on tractors (semi) yes. That is why where the engine is stopped you install a new clutch with the adjuster at 6:00 - so when it is shut down to adjust a clutch - it is almost in the same spot.

taquito971

I would probably leave it and focus on the starter.

I had a similar issue, it was a late engagement from the starter. It spun up well enough, but the bendix was slow. 12v starter, so autozone was able to test it. It passed but the guy running the test saw the issue. Swapped it out and never had another problem. My flexplate didn't look as good as yours.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you just need a quick-fix for now, I think it should be mentioned that if you put in a starter and leave your chewed up flexplate/flywheel in place, you will shorten the life of the starter and possibly create more headaches for yourself like a broken starter bolt in-the-block. Fair warning, I think you should really consider fixing the undelying problem, that being, the damaged flexplate.

To Wit; Years ago I had a similar problem; went thru SEVEN (7) starters in my old Pontiac Grand Prix because the flexplate was damaged like yours. This was over LESS THAN a one year period. At the time I just couldn't afford to replace it, but R&R-ing seven starters probably cost me more in the long run.

ryker725

The flywheel is probably ok, but I would go get a new ring gear and replace it. A lot cheaper ($40 vs $300+) than replacing the whole flywheel. Takes about 10 minutes once the flywheel is off. Or just flip the ring gear 180 degrees and re-use the opposite side that's not chewed up.

FYI - I believe a flywheel from a smallblock 400/403 CU GM will also replace the 6.2 and it is balanced the same. You would just need to replace the ring gear..

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my dad has welded up a couple teeth on ring gears before. on studebakers, the automatic transmissions, the ringgear was welded to the torque converter. since you cant get replacements anymore, he touched them up (not real bad damaged) with the welder and filed to fit. yes we could argue a balancing issue, but hes happy with the fix and is stude keeps on trucking!

Harijan

Thanks for the input.

I had the starter tested today and it is working as designed. However, the tech noticed that there were clear dirt marks outlining the shims that had been in place until I removed the starter. He then pointed out the large letters stamped onto the crown of the starter:

"DO NOT INSTALL WITH SHIMS"

I informed him that there were, in fact, 2 shims installed. We had a good laugh. I am going to pop it back in without the shims, and give it a go. If I break this starter i will replace the flywheel and ring gear. It really doesn't look too hard.

For a first fixer-upper vehicle, this is kicking my butt. But when the zombies come, I will be ready (as long as they don't come in the next 1-2 weeks).

Good times.

Last edited:

dennisS

Pulled my starter off today and took it to a shop that tests and rebuilds starters here in Tucson. While reading the TM's reference pulling the starter there is a warning as to making sure that you support the starter to avoid injury from it falling on you. Apparently the people who wrote this TM had already removed the transfer case and the driveshaft that powers it. Took me a half hour to get the starter out after it was removed from the flywheel. :x

Dennis

Harijan

since you already have the starter off, check the flywheel to see if the teeth are worn down. If the flywheel looks good, and the starter is good. I have no idea.

You sure the starter is getting enough juice?

dennisS

Flywheel looks good. This happens during the starting process, usually after two or three attempts to start and then the high pitched whine, I push the vehicle back and forth and then it will start up in the next couple tries. I'm starting to think 'gremlins'.

Dennis

Harijan

Thank you for all the help and advice. Reinstalled the starter (without shims) last night.

Charged batteries this evening.

Fired right up strong and proud on the first try.

Back on the warpath now.

For my first ever vehicle repair attempt, I couldn't be happier with the results.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my FLEXPLATE was cracked in THREE places.

so every time I tried to start my truck, the plate...uh... flexed pretty severely. Caused all sorts of starting problems. When I had the tranny rebuilt, they replaced the flex plate. All those hard starting problems went away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks