• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How bad is this flywheel?

rjinga

Speaking of eating up the starter and/or flywheel - been there, just did that!

3 or 4 months ago I had a broken starter bolt, so the starter shifted and made a terrible grinding noise when I tried to start my M1009. Got new bolts (and the missing support bracket) and we're good to go, right? My mechanic said there's a small "bad spot" on the flywheel. If I ever landed on it at start up (maybe once a month), I could let it roll backwards or forwards a few inches (yes, even though it's an automatic, it worked; don't ask me why) and it would start.

That is until last week. Now to get pass the "bad spot" I had to take a deep socket and a pull bar and rotating the harmonic balancer a 1/8 turn. That only worked for a few days. Back to the mechanic. Apparently the spot on the flywheel messed up the teeth on the bendix, which messed up more teeth on the flywheel, which messed up the bendix even more, which messed up even more teeth - you get the picture. But hey, it's only money, right? aua

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks