• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How crazy am I? Pulling an M105

nhdiesel

Just a few pics of the drawbar. I got lucky, and can still open the hatch. I used the Class IV drawbar from a weight dist. hitch I had, and cut away the ball mount area. That left a "C" channel about 3/8" thick bolted to the drawbar. I welded two sections of 3"x1.5" C channel to the drawbar's channel. Then I welded a 6" wide C channel to those and the original channel. I have several holes to adjust the height with. I'll have some good action shots after tomorrow.

Jim

Attachments

mangus580

Jim, arent you a little worried about what the weight of the 2 trailers will do to that in a panic stop? Lots of leverage there!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just take it easy going with it the stress in the frame is going to be high with that lever. Any panic stops with this or fishtailing will really do a number on your dodge. Other than those cautions it looks fine and you should be able to get them home with that rig. If you are not in a time crunch Kennys advice of two trips especially with the white stuff on the ground seems very prudent.

nhdiesel

I'm attaching a pic of a vehicle I brought back from Indiana with my little V-6 Dakota, with 8.25 rear axle (Durango uses 9.25), and no trailer brakes. One of the trips I made with that truck while moving was a Jeep Grand Wagoneer on the trailer, the Wagoneer was stuffed to the roof with household items, there were 3 or 4 full floater axles on the trailer with it, and in the body of the Dakota was my lawn tractor, tire machine, full tool box, and lots of other things. I bet I had at least 8k (including the trailer) behind it, and another 1500+ lbs. in the bed. I drove it carefully the 180 miles I had to go and didn't have a problem.

I think the biggest load I ever moved was with a Grand Wagoneer with swapped in Dana 60 rear, 3/4 ton version 44 up front, and a 4-speed trans. I had a mid 60's Ford F-600 dump truck on my trailer (oh, the poor trailer!) and hauled it 30 miles or so on a winding country road. No problem that trip either, I just drive extremely carefully when doing these things.

I am a bit concerned about the hitch receiver itself. But its rated for 7000 lbs., and will hanle LOTS more than that (they are WAY underrated for a margin of safety), and the drawbar I used is rated for 12k lbs. I know I seriously overbuilt the drawbar, but I like overkill. Worse case scenario, I'll be driving 350 miles at 40 mph. I don't think I'll have any problems like that though. I'll see how it feels, I've pulled lots of trailers and know the signs of trailer sway in advance, so I'll come up to speed very carefully, and sticl to around 50-55 mph on the highway if it feels safe. My father is riding up with me, so I'll have help if I need it, in case of problems.

Jim

Jim

Attachments

nhdiesel

Mission Accomplished!!! We changed our plans and headed out about 9pm last night to Limestone to pick up the trailers. My father decided to come with me and volunteered his '06 Duramax, but after the last time I borrowed it, there was no way I was going to pay for fuel for that thing! We averaged 9mpg going to N.J. and back to pick up my part's truck. Anyway, we got to Limestone around 4:30 am. I knew something was odd when the windows of the Durango were icing up...on the INSIDE...during the drive. We slept for a couple hours in a parking lot, then grabbed a few things in a convenience store when they opened up. Thats when we found out it was -34! I don't know how much colder it was at 4:30, but it was way too cold for me.

We headed to the base and dealt with the paperwork, then headed to the lot to load up. The guy asked me if THIS is what we were hauling the trailers with, and I said sure...I got kind of a shake of the head in response. Apparently the trailers are first come, first served...and we were some of the first. They all seemed to be in about the same condition, so I just picked the first 2. Hey, it was -34, I didn't do much shopping around!!! They used a loader with forks to pick up the first trailer, then nicely set it on the hitch. They got the second trailer and tried to load it, and the tires didn't quite fit inside the body of the first trailer! Oh no. So much to listening to my father, who said it would fit. No problem, we asked them to flip the trailer, then drop it onto the first. That went smoothly, we strapped them down securely, then headed out on 2 nearly flat tires.

At the entrance to the base is a small service station with air, and the owner was nice enough to let us use it, free of charge (I'm not used to free air down here!) but I gave him a buck anyway. We ended up in a conversation about the diesel Durango, and we hung out a bit talking and warming up. Once on our way we found the trailers towed fine, and the Durango handled them easily. There was plenty of tongue weight, but I think the Durango rear springs are getting soft anyway, and the rear shocks really need to be replaced. The only real issue we had on the way home was the exhaust temps of the 4bt. It was an aftercooled motor, and I had to remove the aftercooler to make room for the grid heater from a Dodge Cummins, and I haven't installed an intercooler yet. We took hills pretty slowly, but on the flat we had no problem doing 65 on the highway. The Durango was up for more, but I was concerned about the trailer tires.

Tips for others going up there:
1. Bring all the winter clothing you have!!!
2. Once in Limestone, turn left toward the base, then right into the base. You will come to a road on the left...turn there. The trailers are actually straight ahead, but the offices are to the left. Go to the end, turn right, and watch for the large building on the left...offices are in there. Its the first building you come to with signs of life.
3. Come early, in case you need anything in town. Its a very small area, with no 24 hour WalMarts or other after hours conveniences. You'll want to be back on the highway before stores close.

There is more life in Houlton...a Walmart, several gas stations/mini marts/truck stops, grocery stores, etc. Once on the highway, there isn't much for life until you get to Bangor- just a couple gas stations along the highway.

Anyway, here are the pics:

Jim

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never heard of a GL auction being "pick witch even ones you want". Every trailer should have a lot number on it. Reason I'm saying this is if the trailers you got are in better shape than the ones you bid on when the real owner shows up to get his trailer he's going to be pis*ed.

Reactions: AMX

dc3coyote

That looks no whear near as crazy as I was picturing. Dragging triple.
-34 are you crazy WHY?! Sounds like the DRMO guys where extremley helpful I only hear the stories of load it your self.
Come on down south Ill be taking the dogs to the beach, water temp is in the 60s

lstmate

Just a thought..

I am not too smart and do not know those trailers very well but.....

If you know going in that you are going to stack them like that can u put something (2X4) in the rail holders? This would prevent them from sliding off and add a measure of safety.

kinetichotshot

How was the steering? Looks like you coulda used some weight on the front axle! Other than that, looks pretty good! Being a trucker, I always get really skeptical when I see or hear of things like this as most (civilians?) don't have anywhere near the amount of experience needed to pull a trailer, much less something a little risque like that! Glad that you got em home safe. I must admit, it looks much better than I had pictured as well! (the redneck in me loves it!) I would also like to see the pics of the Durango/cummins changeover!
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

hippiedude

Yes I would think putting peggs in the 4 corners for along hall would be the way to go...than strap them real tite with binders...Any one dementions for the mounts in the rail of the trailer ?? Need to make some peggs...

BEASTMASTER

the tounge weight is supposed to be below the axel of the towing vehicle. you are going to need mucho luck to keep that thing from swaying and taking you off the road.good luck

beaubeau

Illegal Machine!?

:deadhorse: First thing , obstruction of rear license plate by homemade hitch, 2nd missing front license plate, 3rd don't know how to drive a Diesel yet!! Thats why he only gets 12mpg with my Duramax and his 4bt runs hot when HE drives it, but it didn't when I drove it, lost but not least, when stopped by State Trooper for speeding and no Front license plate, he gets tickited' I did not!! :driver: :grd: Phil' Jims Oldman!!

nhdiesel

The steering was fine. Other than the exhaust temps because of no intercooler, it drove great. The rear springs were too soft, and my rear shocks need to be replaced, so we really felt the bumps. I want to add airbags to the Durango for when we start towing the Jeep to 4x4 events.

As for the hitch height, I have no idea where you got that idea Beastmaster, but look at 95% of the trucks on the road and you will see that the hitch is above the axle. In fact, my '96 Dodge 2500 4x4 hitch is only a couple inches lower than what I built for the Durango, and the Ram and Durango are running the same height tires. There was absolutely no sway with these trailers at all. I think it helped having the body of the upper trailer down low. Less for the wind to catch.

Pics of the Durango project can be seen HERE:
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd315/nhdiesel/Cummins Durango/
Don't be concerned about the wimpy little angle iron diff. brackets you'll see welded to the frame- they were just to support it in place while I made new brackets. Dodge has a strange setup with Dakotas and Durangos- the front differential hangs from the motor mounts with the engine. I carefully designed this one to be the same way with the Cummins. This required custom mounts for the diff, and I used the engine side motor mounts from the box truck the engine came out of, including the liquid filled rubber mounts. The oil pan is also very custom, using 2 different pans and at least 20 different pieces of steel to get the desired shape around the differential. In the end it still holds 10 quarts just like stock.

Jim

nhdiesel

1. Plate obstruction by the hitch doesn't matter much when there is a trailer behind the vehicle.
1b. He didn't mention how my "co driver" didn't put the trailer plate on because it was too cold up there for his old bones! :p

2. Yup, front plate is missing. Hazard of our location and big snowbanks. When you have to bash through a 2-3 foot snowbank to get out of your driveway, things happen.

3. At 15 mpg with the trailers behind it, my Durango beats his Duracrap EMPTY! Not to mention the 27 mpg it got on the way up north with nothing on it.

And the state trooper just felt bad for the poor old Marine vet he stopped (thanks to the Marine hat he was wearing), and hey, I wasn't even the one who got stopped! :cookoo:

Jim

Pappa-G

You made it home, nothing broke, no one got killed and still no one got killed. :shock: Must be clean living because that hitch setup looks like rolling death to me. Glad to hear ya made it home in one piece. :) GIT-R-DUN!!

lstmate

Just a follow on thought

Hippiedude....

If you are going to put something in the stake holes to help hold them in place just a little design suggestion ..

Make them smaller at the top on all four sides and taper to almost the right width where the trailers will meet. This will make it easier to load by letting the stakes help line it up. This might also keep you from having to modify your stakes onsite when trying to load..

Just my 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks