• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How did you guys drive home? documentation?

conductorx

I drove mine out the 50 miles back to my house. As close to legally as I could. I called and got insurance on it as soon as I won the bid. After that I carried the auction paperwork to pick up the truck. I drove off the lot with insurance paper work in hand and the paperwork that said I won. I also had my wife follow me in my desert MARPAT F350. No cop in California has yet to pull me over and I keep my tag in the glove box now. Good Luck. The only really legal way in Ca is to tow it or trailer it until you get a tag. But I've been driving mine daily for two years with my tag in the glove box and haven't gotten pulled over yet. Not to say it's not going to happen. But I've had cops follow me for miles and then wave as they pass me. It's big, screams military, and slow. Non of which is condusive to getting pulled over.
I am not from California but I spend a lot of time there. My Thing is over there right now. I just read an article about Steve Jobs. He never had a license plate on any of his cars. It seems in California you have 6 months to get a plate. He would simply lease a new car every six months. He drove without a plate for years. I also notice some of my neighbors in Long Beach don't run front plates on thier cars.

In Louisiana, we are very easy when you purchase a car. As long as you have proof of insurance and your paper work you are ok. Once the truck is registered all you have to do is paint the serial number on the hood. No plate required since it is considered a special intrest vehicle. You also do not have to display the inspection sticker on the windshield.

"G"

Ma Duce

I helped with a recovery of a friends duece last week.

We picked it up, it started and drove off the lot as it was in good running condition. He drove it off base then we stopped for fuel. I got in and he followed in the chase truck. 200 miles later we stopped for fuel. He had the invoice and stuff with him for the pick up, and 4 state troopers passed us and never looked twice.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@1 Patriot-of-Many:

I am using your list of 21 things (plus a tow bar, if I can find one in time) as the base template for my (potential) recovery. Thank you very much for the list, and having thought through several of the potential troubles.

I managed to think of a couple of them ahead of time, but you caught a ton I never would have thought about. Now I just got to see if I can round up a generator, an air compressor, etc... lol!

Anyways, thanks a ton! Much appreciated!
Certainly welcome, but I really can't take much credit, it's more of a compilation mostly of what others have suggested in the forum.