• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How did you pick up / move your MEP 002

billyjoebob

I've been in the market for a MEP 701a or 002 since Hurricane Irene knocked my power out for 6 days. My little Homelite 5000w worked admirably, but made me realize that I need something better. Without getting into the minutia of which generator is best, I'm wondering how everyone actually took possession of their MEP 002 (or 701 or 003)? Did you put it in the bed of a pick up truck? Rent a U-Haul trailer? I don't mind the possibility of having to work on a less than functioning unit. I can't wrap my head around the logistics of picking up and moving a 600-1000 lb generator from PA to NY, then getting it into position at my house. How did you all do it?

Nonotagain

My first MEP-003A was fairly easy. I used my Dad's 4X8' utility trailer. Mike from Chambersburg picked the generator up with his fork truck and placed it in the trailer for me.

Once I got home, I used my "cherry picker" engine crane to pick the generator out of the trailer and set it on the ground.

While the generators might be a little heavy, (800-1200 lbs) they move easy on a black top driveway if you wet it down and use a board as a pry bar.

DieselBob

I rented a tilt deck to pick up my 2 generators. Worked real well. Easy for GL to load with their forklift and with the deck tilted it was easy to slide the sets out. Once on the ground they are easy to drag around with my vehicle.

storeman

did it all by hand with two ramps i built and pried them off the m101a3 to the concrete. got smarter on the last one and built a dolly with casters and had GL put it on the dolly at pick up. bolted it to the dolly, locked the casters and tied it all down.........picked it up at GL alone.........then had a blow out 10 miles from home with no spare. left on the side of the road for 2 hrs while walmart installed new tire. got back to the trailer and it had tipped to the side because wet ground gave way on the jack. five cycles on my truck jack using 2x8's to shim for frame support finally got it high enough to put new tire and rim back on. missed lunch. generator came off easily after all that.
:beer:

Isaac-1

I have moved up to a 30KW generator without the use of any heavy equipment using just a 5x7 utility trailer and hand tools, the nice thing about this is they are close to the ground compared the back of a pick up truck (which I have also used to move my MEP-701a). Simply use a car jack, some iron pipe to roll the generator on and one or two cheap $20 come along cable hoists, etc.

Ike

one or maybe two helpers make it easier, but I have moved my MEP-701 by myself

Carl_in_NH

Loading and unloading a pickup truck bed is easy when you use the genset's lifting eye and a piece of chain with hooks and a tractor with a front end loader (or a forklift and length of chain).

Isaac-1

One note on the front end loader option, most are not good at gentle movement, so be careful of the generator swinging and causing damage to the truck bed, etc.

Ike

Carl_in_NH

One note on the front end loader option, most are not good at gentle movement, so be careful of the generator swinging and causing damage to the truck bed, etc.

Ike
If you've owned the same tractor / FEL combination for years and have used it for moving all your heavy stuff, you can get pretty good with it. Otherwise, use a very gentle touch.

It also helps to have some adjustable straps that will keep the load from rotating when you pick it up with the single chain; I typically use one on each ring of the MEP skid back to the arms of the FEL to keep the load from turning. Doesn't need much - they don't have more than a few pounds of pull on them (unless you hit something).

Keith_J

Loading? Come-along+mesquite tree. Offloading? 2" binder strap+binder winch/ratchet and a turn-around roller on the end of the trailer. I mounted 10" pneumatic wheels on 4x8" timbers which slide into the forklift tunnels, two fixed on the engine side, two castered on generator side. The wheels install as the generator is sliding off the trailer.

jimbob1111

GL fork lifted my MEP002A into the bed of my 2500 P/U.
I picked it up with gantry crane and drove truck out from under it, then backed M101A2 under it and set it in the trailer.
The second MEP002A recovery I bolted casters to the bottom, set it on some plywood & rolled it into the garage out back so I could work on it.
My 1 & 2 ton Wallace gantry cranes both came from GL.
HMFG

ETN550

Anything with a base is easy to move on a hard surface with steel pipe as rollers. I have also used pressure treated fence posts to roll things on hard ground. A pickup or garden tractor can pull one of these easily on rollers.

I unloaded 440lb 016Bs from my tall pickup using an aluminum extension ladder laying flat on its side with some blocks under the middle to support it. That made for a gentle slope and I just guided the units down to the ground.

I have a 23ft 8,800lb empty steel shipping container that i move in the yard on the pressuretreated fence posts. I need 4 wheel drive on the grass with that one! But still rolls pretty well!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the length and width of a MEP 002A with ASK box?

I want to know if a fork lift can place it in the back of my stepside pickup bed which is about 48" wide.

ranchhopper

Depends on what kind of surface your moving it on we used to move safes on one inch pipe rollers they work great on concrete or asphalt same getting them off a truck stout ramps and one inch pipe. In other areas grass or dirt wooden fence posts make good rollers just one in front of the other until you get where you want to go.

Keith_J

What is the length and width of a MEP 002A with ASK box?

I want to know if a fork lift can place it in the back of my stepside pickup bed which is about 48" wide.
58" long, 36" wide and 39" high. 1084 pounds.

Best placed in a truck with single point lift through the lifting eye and a chain. Kind of hard to pull the forks out with only 6" a side.

Ship longitudinally, either engine forward or back. CG is right at the lift eye so place load accordingly.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What if I bring a Pallet with me and we set it on the pallet first. I could even secure it to the pallet with straps. Then the forklift could load it long ways in the 4'x 6' bed.

My only concern is balance point vs. length of the forks on the lift. I figure worst case it will be 30 inches from both sides with an inch clearance. I think forks are probably around 4' I think, so doable I think???

panic_button

I used a cheap Harbor Freight engine cherry picker to take it off the trailer. To move it around to the pad (MEP-003) I used 4 pieces of 4" PVC pipe and my riding lawn mover.

ranchhopper

The forklift can load it long ways with out the pallet there is a crossbar under the genset it will sit on without damaging it they load mine on my truck all the time when I pick them up at the freight yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks