• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do I get it home?

jaymcb

Well, I am open to anyone near Ft Meade who is willing to help out. The shipping doesn't look like a fun option. Had planned to motor down with my truck and a buddy and drive it back with my Yukon as a chase car.

Thank you for the links to the manuals, have already done some reading.

If anyone is nearby (MD), and would be willing to look it over or very temporarily house it, I would be much obliged.

The insurance weenies up here don't seem to have a clue how to insure a vehicle without a VIN (only have serial number) and a year....not provided by GL, not available through Carnac the magnificent's magical database. Amica (my company) said 'no way', someone I am aquainted with says to try Safety Insurance.

I fully acknowledge this was an impulse purchase, but it's been a plan for a while, and it seemed like a reasonable step. The CAT engine on my A4 has a small number of hours (130) and 460 miles on the odometer. It was driven to the site from wherever it was, and the rubber looks BRAND new by visual inspection.

zout

It was a 330 mile trip to inspect my 109 the first time. Another 330 mile trip back home. I made the same trip to go fetch it and still brought a good supply of liquids - tools for the ride home - including still working on it when I picked it up. This was from an individual whom said it was totally roadworthy.

Only thing I had faith in was Oct 17th 1978 in a K Mart parking lot - and that FAITH was the TRUTH.

Good luck on your decisions.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My trip went great, but it was only 70 miles from my house, so tow truck was an option.
Reading the recovery stories, I took
1. Two copies of Paid Invoice
2. Pictures from GL auction
3. contact numbers for GL and the site manager
4. Half my tool box
5. Generator
6. Compressor with air chuck/gauge
7. DOT 5 brake fluid
8. 3 gallons of oil
9. 3 gallons of antifreeze
10. Insurance binder( State farm using the serial from the paid in full invoice) Got it home and changed it to the 505XXX number on the frame)
11. razor knife
12. 10 gallons of diesel fuel
13. numbers for tow companies along the route
14. camera(which in my excitement didn't use!
15. Napa didn't have fuel filters or know which ones(would've went to a truck place with chase vehicle if needed) Recommend you have them if possible.)
16. Had two 1050CCA batteries(wrong ones. You need the square type)
17. Tow strap and chain, figured I might be able to pull the truck off the road if it died along the way)
18. Operators manual(printed it off and put in three ring binder)
19. jumper cables
20. ear plugs
21. wood and handsaw
22. duct tape

As it turns out, all I needed was a gallon of antifreeze! Better to be prepared and not need.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members-rides/75695-my-first-mv-pics-recovery-last-week.html

Last edited:

KaiserM109

What was the event and lot number on your new rig? I've been tracking M35A3 and M109A4 sales.

I apologize if I’m repeating what someone else said, I haven’t read the entire posting word-for-word.

When it was time to pick up my M109A3, I asked my insurance agent and he said I was covered on my regular policy so I drove it from Ft. Riley, KS to Denver, 400 mi. In hindsight, I could have been in real trouble if I had had the accident that I came inches from when my brakes failed in Manhattan, KS. because I think he was wrong.

About shipping, there's a BIG problem, the height of your truck. My M109A3 (old NDT tires) is 11ft. tall; your super single tires probably add a couple of inches to that. Interstate reg's east of the Mississippi say that a truck load cannot exceed 13 ft. That means you will have to have it hauled by a lowboy trailer.

Good luck, and as Garrison Keillor says, "Be well, do good work, and keep in touch!" I'd like to hear how you do and I'd like to ask you about your truck after you've had it a while. I'd like to put an M35A3 under my van box.

Arlyn

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At this point with having to remove it by friday your best bet is find a local towing / storage yard to pull it off the GL lot and store it for you , UNTIL YOU HAVE A PLAN TO RECOVER IT . Or option B is pay the GL default fee and start over when you have a plan.

KaiserM109

At this point with having to remove it by friday your best bet is find a local towing / storage yard to pull it off the GL lot and store it for you , UNTIL YOU HAVE A PLAN TO RECOVER IT . Or option B is pay the GL default fee and start over when you have a plan.
Call up the manager at the GL yard and tell him what your problem is. I have gotten my pickup time delayed a couple of times in order to coordinate multiple pickups.

As much mud as people, including myself, have slung at the GL folkes in the main office, I really like ALL of the folks at the yards that I have met and they all have been willing to help a buyer.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
jaymcb, Jim (R Racing) is a fantastic resource for your recovery. I fully endorse his abilities and recommend him to get it off base and into a secured area where you can prepare a recovery with chase vehicle at a time that works in your schedule.

One suggestion: The worst part of the I95 seems to be through NY starting at the GW bridge. I recommend you plan to pass through there at midnight, or in the wee hours, when traffic is light. Otherwise take the extra time to use the freeway system to pass east of the area and rejoin the I95 further north in CT. Sorry I cannot remember the exact freeway numbers.

I have made that trip with a chase vehicle loaded with back up support and believe if you maintain your SA you can do it as well.

Cheers,

Rick

dikwks

Sometimes you just jump and pray on the way down. I jumped, got a great truck, got home safe and am working on it now. Wow, what a truck.[thumbzup]

mktopside

Banned
Find a truck shop near where you are picking it up from. Call them and tell them you want to bring it to them and have them check it over for the trip home (if you can't), store it if it's unsafe, or possibly tow it off the lot if it doesn't move at all. At least this way you can get it off the lot and then see what you're dealing with. Or, have the number of a local RV storage lot, and a local tow company on hand just in case.

Buy at least two 14.5's right now from someone, and plan on taking them with you when you go to pick it up. Short of the truck having a major trans failure, there isn't much on the truck that can't be fixed by a half decent mechanic. But, tires are the one thing that will screw up your trip fast. Anyone with a hoist and an air gun can change a tire, but nobody is going to have those tires on stock.

There's nothing wrong with winging it, and you can't plan for every eventuality. However, do what's in your power now to make the trip safe, and to eliminate being stuck on the side of the road with limited options. If you bring enough supplies with you to get the truck, you'll get it home one way or another.

Good Luck.

mktopside

Banned
Well, I am open to anyone near Ft Meade who is willing to help out. The shipping doesn't look like a fun option. Had planned to motor down with my truck and a buddy and drive it back with my Yukon as a chase car.

Thank you for the links to the manuals, have already done some reading.

If anyone is nearby (MD), and would be willing to look it over or very temporarily house it, I would be much obliged.

The insurance weenies up here don't seem to have a clue how to insure a vehicle without a VIN (only have serial number) and a year....not provided by GL, not available through Carnac the magnificent's magical database. Amica (my company) said 'no way', someone I am aquainted with says to try Safety Insurance.

I fully acknowledge this was an impulse purchase, but it's been a plan for a while, and it seemed like a reasonable step. The CAT engine on my A4 has a small number of hours (130) and 460 miles on the odometer. It was driven to the site from wherever it was, and the rubber looks BRAND new by visual inspection.

If it makes you feel any better, I helped a buddy pick up his A3 from Meade; and I pretty much had him convinced that something would need to be done before he got on the road back to NJ....... I basically drove up to meade to help him zip tie a mirror back on, as everything on the truck was perfect and new. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Chances of me being able to get up there to help you are slim, but shoot me an IM and I'll give you my cell in case you run into trouble. I might be able to walk you through it on the phone.

rickf

Nice looking truck. The one thing that would worry me is tires, did you see how the left front rose up as it started to move? That tire has been sitting flt for a while and is a risk to pop. The CTIS display appeared to be dead but by the end of the video the front tire seemed to have come up some. Hard to tell but plan on flat tires and take a spare plus the one on the truck. I also endorse R+R, I saw him work at Aberdeen. And work, and work and work!!!

Rick

jaymcb

Can anyone point me to a spot where I can buy/borrow/rent mounted tires to try and get it home?

Also, I can certainly bring a jack if needed, but what size are the lugs, so I can make sure I have an impact socket and a big cheater bar if I need to get lugs off by the side of the road.

Many, many thanks to all who posted useful info so far!

Hooper

I recently purchased an M109a4 from GL. I'm supposed to pick it up next Friday, and get it from MD to MA. The issue is, I do not have an Sf97, and GL won't generate one until it is removed, leaving me in a chicken/egg situation title and registration-wise. I would like to drive it back, and it seems like it would make the trip.

Anyone out there with tips and tricks on how to get this thing insured so I can legally drive it?

From a second question point, now that I won it, what do I need to know before I drive it? My CDL lapsed over 10 years ago :)

Just drive it home and hope for the best at this point. You can drive it without the title and you can get insurance on it before you pick it up. I got insurance through State Farm for my A3 the day before driving it home. You also don't need a CDL to drive it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Can anyone point me to a spot where I can buy/borrow/rent mounted tires to try and get it home?

Also, I can certainly bring a jack if needed, but what size are the lugs, so I can make sure I have an impact socket and a big cheater bar if I need to get lugs off by the side of the road.

Many, many thanks to all who posted useful info so far!
FROM the above question, I really think you NEED to read the -10, where to find the TMs was posted earlier in this thread

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks